Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Tesla, their occupancy network stuff is designed to detect the presence of miscellaneous objects without having to classify them. So it's supposed to be able to detect random junk in the road. I recall one technical presentation showing the outriggers from a utility truck. They're not classified as anything specific so it won't show on the screen in the car, but the car does know that something is there. Tesla simply cannot allow their cars to start smacking into objects. They have 160,000 testers out there who will start making the company look really bad really fast if the car screws up even one significant case. They must have enough confidence in the vision system to abandon the ultrasound sensors.
I'm all for it if it does work. And I think it makes perfect sense for obstacle avoidance on a road when you can move around it early enough. However, for parking scenarios when you are trying to avoid backing too closely to a curb or object, that's when I think vision will struggle for low or smaller nearby obstacles.

OMG. This sucks. If HW4 doesn't magically appear, I'm going to be pissed. We are currently paying top dollar for these vehicles at the same time they are removing functionality. I wouldn't be surprised if they used plugs for the bumper holes that no longer have sensors in them (passenger lumbar support anyone?). I'll wait to see what shows up when it's delivery time, but I am now on the cancelling fence.

Have successfully put my order on hold for 4 weeks. Will lift the hold when I get back in October and was told that I can expect a new VIN very quickly thereafter.

I did finally schedule a test drive to see what the fuss is all about with these cars - and it was amazing! Having never driven a Tesla or any other electric car before, the rapid acceleration is loads of fun. I was given a RWD for the test drive, and was told the AWD takes the fun factor to the next level. Can’t wait for my own wheels now when I get back!
Well I just lifted my hold status after returning from my overseas trip, and the new EDD is now Nov 15 to Dec 18! It seems I have been pushed to the back of the queue. I was advised by Tesla that after lifting a hold I would be assigned a new VIN very quickly but that does not seem to be the case - waiting continues!

Well I just lifted my hold status after returning from my overseas trip, and the new EDD is now Nov 15 to Dec 18! It seems I have been pushed to the back of the queue. I was advised by Tesla that after lifting a hold I would be assigned a new VIN very quickly but that does not seem to be the case - waiting continues!
Be patient. So many of us have had EDD whip-lash as Tesla bounced us back and forth, seemingly random dates. I went from jan-apr 2023 to dec 2022 to vin # and 3 days in the span of Sept 1 - Sept 12. Craziness

Your guess is as good as mine. I’m about 5-6 hours away so maybe outside of their last week push range?

Just wish then if that was the case the EDD would reflect that instead of constantly saying “your car is arriving tomorrow!”

Oh well. In hindsight I wish I would have cancelled EAP when you did instead of going with “wait and see” for a few weeks
Yeah hindsight is 20/20. I'll tell you the truth EAP is really not worth it. There are a few features I like but I also like driving the car more. Definitly don't regret canceling it and trying it out with the subscription.

OMG. This sucks. If HW4 doesn't magically appear, I'm going to be pissed. We are currently paying top dollar for these vehicles at the same time they are removing functionality. I wouldn't be surprised if they used plugs for the bumper holes that no longer have sensors in them (passenger lumbar support anyone?). I'll wait to see what shows up when it's delivery time, but I am now on the cancelling fence.
Yeah usually it sucks when you buy a new thing/car and then a few months later the newer "better" model comes out. In this case I am very happy to have gotten my car when I did and still have the sensors and features like physical turn signal stalks. I'm sure there is some master plan down the road for all this but wow am I sorry to the people about to take delivery this quarter. Tesla seems to be taking a big step back right now. Without the ultrasonic sensors (and thus disabled premium features) FSD is absolutely not worth buying right now for new cars. Very very strange move from tesla

Does everyone on here want Tesla to stay static? OMG! Tesla took radar away. OMG! Tesla took ultra sonic sensors away. OMG! Tesla did this. Tesla did that.

What exactly are you buying the car for? The best and most efficient battery driven car in the world.

And if you are buying it for the smart self-driving features, then quit crying and let Tesla do its thing. Tesla knows better than you. They have forward vision. You obviously don't. Quit second guessing and enjoy the ride.

This same mentality came out when Tesla started shipping cars without mobile connectors. OMG! People will be stranded with no way to charge. Yet, independent studies have shown that most people don't have an outlet to plug into outside or in a garage. So most people were never going to use it anyways.

Reactions: JB47394
Does everyone on here want Tesla to stay static? OMG! Tesla took radar away. OMG! Tesla took ultra sonic sensors away. OMG! Tesla did this. Tesla did that.

What exactly are you buying the car for? The best and most efficient battery driven car in the world.

And if you are buying it for the smart self-driving features, then quit crying and let Tesla do its thing. Tesla knows better than you. They have forward vision. You obviously don't. Quit second guessing and enjoy the ride.

This same mentality came out when Tesla started shipping cars without mobile connectors. OMG! People will be stranded with no way to charge. Yet, independent studies have shown that most people don't have an outlet to plug into outside or in a garage. So most people were never going to use it

I'm not going to start a flame war but first I'd like to see the independent studies showing that most garages don't have a 120v outlet. Also that wasn't the issue the main issue was the car coming without a native way of charging at home. That was the issue and still is.

With regards to no USS yeah maybe one day this will be for the best but even now tesla is admitting that it isn't all there. As such they need to disable summon, autopark , etc and state they may limit the functionality of other autopilot systems. That is not a good look. Also is I was someone who paid for fsd now I'm essentially getting nothing for 15k except a promise that maybe someday I will be given permission to become a beta tester.

Reactions: Andrometer4
I'm not going to start a flame war but first I'd like to see the independent studies showing that most garages don't have a 120v outlet. Also that wasn't the issue the main issue was the car coming without a native way of charging at home. That was the issue and still is.

With regards to no USS yeah maybe one day this will be for the best but even now tesla is admitting that it isn't all there. As such they need to disable summon, autopark , etc and state they may limit the functionality of other autopilot systems. That is not a good look. Also is I was someone who paid for fsd now I'm essentially getting nothing for 15k except a promise that maybe someday I will be given permission to become a beta tester.

Most people don't have garages. Especially in urban areas. And it's not as if Tesla doesn't give you the option to add it. I added both the wall charger and mobile connector and received both before the car. The real problem is people are not getting it for "free" with the car, which was never free to begin with.

As for certain features being disabled for a time, hey I get it. But it's not as if it's forever. Just a month or two or three. Like when they dropped radar.

Reactions: JB47394
In this case I am very happy to have gotten my car when I did and still have the sensors and features like physical turn signal stalks.
The crappy part about this announcement is that most likely they will disable the ultrasonic sensors for all cars via software, just like they recently disabled radar for cars that have it.

I've stopped installing updates for the time being. I want my radar, and I want my ultrasonic sensors too. The cameras can't do the same jobs, and are blinded too often to trust them.

Most people don't have garages. Especially in urban areas. And it's not as if Tesla doesn't give you the option to add it. I added both the wall charger and mobile connector and received both before the car. The real problem is people are not getting it for "free" with the car, which was never free to begin with.

As for certain features being disabled for a time, hey I get it. But it's not as if it's forever. Just a month or two or three. Like when they dropped radar.
You can sell that the mobile charger was anything other then a cost cutting measure. The price of the car did not come down when they d/c it ( in fact it went up) and they passed the cost of the charger over to the customer. It was and still is a method for Tesla to wring a few more dollars out of customers. Just like when they stopped giving the back license plate frame. I get it there a business but to call it anything other then a money grab is being disingenuous.

With regards to losing USS yeah this is something people who are awaiting delivery have a right to be concerned about. The sensors are used on most cars ( not just tesla) for fine tuning automated movements. The cameras are good for big things like lanes and cars but I really don't think they can judge distance in a fine way like say parking in a tight spot. I'm sure it will work out but customers have every right to be concerned and upset about this.

Reactions: cmy4x4 and deuskid
The crappy part about this announcement is that most likely they will disable the ultrasonic sensors for all cars via software, just like they recently disabled radar for cars that have it.

I've stopped installing updates for the time being. I want my radar, and I want my ultrasonic sensors too. The cameras can't do the same jobs, and are blinded too often to trust them.
They said for now on their website they wouldn't. I have a suspicion that this might be something they need to back track on. I get cameras and radar might overlap but I can't see how cameras could do the job of USS. Elon made the argument they got rid of radar because humans naturally use their eyes when driving so cameras were the cars eyes. Ok I guess but USS isn't eyes it's more like ears or hands.

I get cameras and radar might overlap but I can't see how cameras could do the job of USS.
That was @Mob Dee's point; Tesla knows better. Other vision-based parking systems show a 360 view of the car's environment from above. That's an image calculated from the car's cameras and I think that it's superior to the distance indicators. Tesla may be going in that direction. In FSD Beta, when you park, you are shown an overhead view of the parking space and the cars around you. It's stylized like all of Tesla's driving visualizations, but it's more useful than the proximity stuff. If they keep working on that, with the synthesized view, it'll be pretty awesome.

I give Tesla a lot of slack for one reason: they're using their money to build the business. It's not going into executive bonuses or share buybacks and dividends. So they aren't "pocketing the money" and turning it over to people who are already wealthy. They're investing it back into the business. When Tesla turns into another money grab for the rich, that's when I turn on Tesla.

That was @Mob Dee's point; Tesla knows better. Other vision-based parking systems show a 360 view of the car's environment from above. That's an image calculated from the car's cameras and I think that it's superior to the distance indicators. Tesla may be going in that direction. In FSD Beta, when you park, you are shown an overhead view of the parking space and the cars around you. It's stylized like all of Tesla's driving visualizations, but it's more useful than the proximity stuff. If they keep working on that, with the synthesized view, it'll be pretty awesome.

I give Tesla a lot of slack for one reason: they're using their money to build the business. It's not going into executive bonuses or share buybacks and dividends. So they aren't "pocketing the money" and turning it over to people who are already wealthy. They're investing it back into the business. When Tesla turns into another money grab for the rich, that's when I turn on Tesla.
I think a lot of people were concerned as well because without a bumper camera, there’s a blind spot in front of the bumper. I don’t understand the tech enough to comment but would their new system be able to stop you if a small child or pet or animal crawls into that blind spot?

I think a lot of people were concerned as well because without a bumper camera, there’s a blind spot in front of the bumper. I don’t understand the tech enough to comment but would their new system be able to stop you if a small child or pet or animal crawls into that blind spot?
My eyes and paying attention to my surroundings like a responsible driver should.

Quit being lazy and expecting a car to do everything for you.

You may be thinking about monster SUVs with big forward blind spots. The Tesla has essentially no forward blind spot, and the forward camera is high on the windshield, affording an even better view of the area in front of the car than the driver sees. Is it perfect? No. Are ultrasonics perfect? No.
My eyes and paying attention to my surroundings like a responsible driver should.

Quit being lazy and expecting a car to do everything for you.
There's no need to be harsh. If you know better, then be a good teacher and mentor. Tough love has its place, but it's hardly a cure-all. Also, not everyone is as diligent and attentive as you are, so having safety features like this that ensure that nobody is going to get hurt are important. I'm normally a very diligent and attentive driver, but I have had lapses, and having the car help me out would have been appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.