Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I started a little experiment today. I bought acceleration boost after driving the car for 5 weeks normal. I'm going to use it today and tomorrow and then return it to see if I notice a difference. It's hard to say right now but I have noticed that acceleration just feels smoother. The car was always fast but now I tap the accelerator and all of a sudden I'm at 40mph from stop almost instantly. Like I said the car doesn't feel like a race car but accelerating just feels a bit smoother. Will post my updates...
Tesla actually lets you "return" it? That seems out of character. But seriously, I would love to try it. Problem is I probably wouldn't end up returning it.

just thought I’d share. Saw this while driving to great mall in Milpitas, CA 😳

85A708AC-DF58-4D1E-B19A-9A774C0F8E99.jpeg

Reactions: cmy4x4
Not wanting to put a damper of our shiny new toys, but this example is truly worrisome. Understand issues may arise, but lack of customer support seems to be most disappointing here:

It’s true that the customer service can be terrible. It’s true there can be bugs in brand new Teslas as we dealt with something similar with ours this summer. Thankfully our issue allowed us to pull over. We were also told twice that they updated the software and firmware so the issue was resolved. I also told the SC I wasn’t going to pick up the car until the issue was fixed. It’s amazing how nonchalant they can be about a car just randomly shutting down in the interstate.

You can find the thread but it was an absolute nightmare. Long story short, they eventually replaced the PCS (which seems to be an often faulty part in newer Teslas this year) and we haven’t had an issue since and have somewhat fallen back in love with car.

Most of you will never have to deal with this fortunately.

I have a feeling Tesla is going to regret the lack of flexibility with delaying orders.
It looks like hundreds of people are cancelling their orders which is leading to Tesla having "existing inventory" on the home page.

You can get LR AWD's, some with 19" sport wheels, available within a couple of weeks.

I was debating picking up a Model 3, but it's insane that they're almost $60k now even with basic options.

They used to be $45k...

For that price I'll just wait to see what other manufacturer's release next year.

It’s true that the customer service can be terrible. It’s true there can be bugs in brand new Teslas as we dealt with something similar with ours this summer. Thankfully our issue allowed us to pull over. We were also told twice that they updated the software and firmware so the issue was resolved. I also told the SC I wasn’t going to pick up the car until the issue was fixed. It’s amazing how nonchalant they can be about a car just randomly shutting down in the interstate.

You can find the thread but it was an absolute nightmare. Long story short, they eventually replaced the PCS (which seems to be an often faulty part in newer Teslas this year) and we haven’t had an issue since and have somewhat fallen back in love with car.

Most of you will never have to deal with this fortunately.
This is one of those things where it gets attention because its Tesla and people want to hate. ICE cars break down all the time too even new ones. Who knows what actually happened its only one side of the story. She also demanded they refund the car but it doesn't work that way with any dealer. Once you have the car the dealer/tesla will repair it under warranty. If they can't you can lemon law it but you can't just tell the dealer "you keep it give me back my money." Sorry car dealers aren't amazon.com. The person posting this seems like she likes attention and this certainly was a clickbait. This would be a nothing story if the headline was "new ICE car breaks down, dealer fixes it" but because it was Tesla it is.

They won't acknowledge that "PHANTOM BRAKING" is an issue either. "it's just the car learning" RIGHT!
So, and not trying to be tesla fan boy here, I've had a few instances of "phantom breaking" but I've been able to usually figure out why

1) it only happens with autopilot
2) the car is designed on autopilot to look at the lanes around you. If it notices you are moving much faster then an adjancent lane it will slow down. This is to prevent a accident if someone decides to cut into your/faster lane
3) some signs with yellow lights (like clearence signs) can trigger the car as it misreads this as a stop light
4) if the car sees a car in a adjacent lane starting to drift into your lane it will slow down in case this car cuts in
5) if you are on autopilot check the set max speed, sometimes the car lowers the speed without you realizing it. This will cause the car to slow down. I've had this happen when I've had the car set to 65mph in a 55mpg and it suddenly changes to 60mpg. I've fixed this by setting the car to allow 10mph over the posted speed limits

Those have been my experiences so far with phantom breaking but like I said I can usually attribute it to something. I've never had an experience when I was on a wide open road and the car suddenly stopped. Hope this helps a little bit.

This is one of those things where it gets attention because its Tesla and people want to hate. ICE cars break down all the time too even new ones. Who knows what actually happened its only one side of the story. She also demanded they refund the car but it doesn't work that way with any dealer. Once you have the car the dealer/tesla will repair it under warranty. If they can't you can lemon law it but you can't just tell the dealer "you keep it give me back my money." Sorry car dealers aren't amazon.com. The person posting this seems like she likes attention and this certainly was a clickbait. This would be a nothing story if the headline was "new ICE car breaks down, dealer fixes it" but because it was Tesla it is.
Yeah I don’t think we know the full story. But either way she would be covered by lemon law, but she needs to give Tesla multiple chances to fix it.

Reactions: Mob Dee and ZZ118
So I started a little experiment today. I bought acceleration boost after driving the car for 5 weeks normal. I'm going to use it today and tomorrow and then return it to see if I notice a difference. It's hard to say right now but I have noticed that acceleration just feels smoother. The car was always fast but now I tap the accelerator and all of a sudden I'm at 40mph from stop almost instantly. Like I said the car doesn't feel like a race car but accelerating just feels a bit smoother. Will post my updates...
Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on this!

Reactions: ZZ118
I disagree to your first point. This gets attention due to how Tesla handles (some) issues. And I’ve gotten into it with a few people in here before about this but until you’ve been in a literal deadly situation due to a malfunctioning vehicle I don’t think you’re in a place to judge. To make matters worse, at least in my situation the first time Tesla said they fixed the problem in the same way they told her. The second time they said ”unless you can recreate the problem, sorry about your luck”.

I will say, that I guess probably due to the nature of driving a computer rather than a car, they are limited in what they can do. But to just tell people to ahead and drive an unsafe vehicle is unacceptable. And in fact, once I was able to speak to a tech, after nearly getting attacked by a SA, they deemed my M3 unsafe to drive.

Their nonchalant attitude to some of these issues will get somebody killed soon if it hasn’t already.

Reactions: SpeedBird23
I disagree to your first point. This gets attention due to how Tesla handles (some) issues. And I’ve gotten into it with a few people in here before about this but until you’ve been in a literal deadly situation due to a malfunctioning vehicle I don’t think you’re in a place to judge. To make matters worse, at least in my situation the first time Tesla said they fixed the problem in the same way they told her. The second time they said ”unless you can recreate the problem, sorry about your luck”.

I will say, that I guess probably due to the nature of driving a computer rather than a car, they are limited in what they can do. But to just tell people to ahead and drive an unsafe vehicle is unacceptable. And in fact, once I was able to speak to a tech, after nearly getting attacked by a SA, they deemed my M3 unsafe to drive.

Their nonchalant attitude to some of these issues will get somebody killed soon if it hasn’t already.
I’m sorry you had to go through that ordeal. It sounds horrible. I’m glad all is well now and you are able to enjoy your vehicle. Hopefully you have regained some of your lost trust and can drive safely without fear.

Reactions: phishphan