Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sorry you had to go through that ordeal. It sounds horrible. I’m glad all is well now and you are able to enjoy your vehicle. Hopefully you have regained some of your lost trust and can drive safely without fear.
We've had no issues since the PCS was replaced in August and after a 1400 mile road trip plus another 2k + random miles or so I think we’re good. That said, seeing that video might have made me realize I have a little PTSD lol. It is freaking scary having your car bleep and bloop at you while telling you to pull over immediately while on a major road, let alone an interstate like I5 where the woman in the video was). As I said, the majority of Tesla owners will never have to deal with this thankfully.

I disagree to your first point. This gets attention due to how Tesla handles (some) issues. And I’ve gotten into it with a few people in here before about this but until you’ve been in a literal deadly situation due to a malfunctioning vehicle I don’t think you’re in a place to judge. To make matters worse, at least in my situation the first time Tesla said they fixed the problem in the same way they told her. The second time they said ”unless you can recreate the problem, sorry about your luck”.

I will say, that I guess probably due to the nature of driving a computer rather than a car, they are limited in what they can do. But to just tell people to ahead and drive an unsafe vehicle is unacceptable. And in fact, once I was able to speak to a tech, after nearly getting attacked by a SA, they deemed my M3 unsafe to drive.

Their nonchalant attitude to some of these issues will get somebody killed soon if it hasn’t already.
Very sorry to hear your experience. Many of us have had an unfortunate incident while driving and it can defeinitly be hard to move pass that.

I've had multiple cars break down on the road. Fortunately I have been able to handle the situation without any major issues. It's certainly not a good situation to be in of course. I watched the video and read an article about it. She is clearly playing it up for the camera. She is an internet personality.

Yeah Tesla can be better but so can most companies. The way she makes it sound another company would have magicaly appeared out of nowhere to give her a brand new car on the spot. While I agree the experience can be better I don't see it as being any different from the standard of care most companies provide. That was my point this is not about poor customer service, it is about Tesla doing poor service which makes it "news worthy". You can say what you want about the situation but it is very true that Tesla is a very polarizing company. There are alot of fanboys who will praise this company unapologetically on the other side there are many who just live to hate the company for some reason. This video doesn't really show anything execept Tesla+bad= Views

Very sorry to hear your experience. Many of us have had an unfortunate incident while driving and it can defeinitly be hard to move pass that.

I've had multiple cars break down on the road. Fortunately I have been able to handle the situation without any major issues. It's certainly not a good situation to be in of course. I watched the video and read an article about it. She is clearly playing it up for the camera. She is an internet personality.

Yeah Tesla can be better but so can most companies. The way she makes it sound another company would have magicaly appeared out of nowhere to give her a brand new car on the spot. While I agree the experience can be better I don't see it as being any different from the standard of care most companies provide. That was my point this is not about poor customer service, it is about Tesla doing poor service which makes it "news worthy". You can say what you want about the situation but it is very true that Tesla is a very polarizing company. There are alot of fanboys who will praise this company unapologetically on the other side there are many who just live to hate the company for some reason. This video doesn't really show anything execept Tesla+bad= Views

FWIW I don’t think neither she nor I would be as vocal as we have been (obviously she has a much bigger platform than little old me though lol) had Tesla handled the issue properly.

Honestly, for me the first time was concerning but like you said, *sugar* happens. When it happened the second time, knowing they had lied to me about it being fixed the first time and then being told there was nothing to fix the second time is when I lost it. You can’t say everything is good when a brand new car that has had the same issues (died on the side of the road!!!) twice hasn’t been repaired.

Ill drop this now bc I’d hate for it to ruin this thread of stoked future owners. It’s a fast, bad ass car and going to a gas station is so ancient.

Any idea if Tesla is even building M3 LR units at the moment? I see many 2023 RWD units ready for pickup in the existing inventory, yet all LR models are Nov-Dec pickup. I don’t think I can recall anyone here confirming pickup of a 2023 LR model.
The 15 reported VINs on the order spreadsheet are all for Short Range or Performance vehicles except for one Long Range. The Long Range was something unusual because the VIN was assigned the same day the vehicle was ordered. It was a 385xxx VIN and the most recent VIN in the spreadsheet is 398xxx from Friday.

So, and not trying to be tesla fan boy here, I've had a few instances of "phantom breaking" but I've been able to usually figure out why

1) it only happens with autopilot
2) the car is designed on autopilot to look at the lanes around you. If it notices you are moving much faster then an adjancent lane it will slow down. This is to prevent a accident if someone decides to cut into your/faster lane
3) some signs with yellow lights (like clearence signs) can trigger the car as it misreads this as a stop light
4) if the car sees a car in a adjacent lane starting to drift into your lane it will slow down in case this car cuts in
5) if you are on autopilot check the set max speed, sometimes the car lowers the speed without you realizing it. This will cause the car to slow down. I've had this happen when I've had the car set to 65mph in a 55mpg and it suddenly changes to 60mpg. I've fixed this by setting the car to allow 10mph over the posted speed limits

Those have been my experiences so far with phantom breaking but like I said I can usually attribute it to something. I've never had an experience when I was on a wide open road and the car suddenly stopped. Hope this helps a little bit.
I drive through the desert. My phantom braking occurs from the "mirages" on the road. You know, when it looks like you've got a big puddle across the road up ahead. Also, one of the roads I frequent has a sequence of "whoop" type rolling hills. As the flat road begins to climb, the car will phantom brake because of the road angle in front of me.

1666013191360.png

So I started a little experiment today. I bought acceleration boost after driving the car for 5 weeks normal. I'm going to use it today and tomorrow and then return it to see if I notice a difference. It's hard to say right now but I have noticed that acceleration just feels smoother. The car was always fast but now I tap the accelerator and all of a sudden I'm at 40mph from stop almost instantly. Like I said the car doesn't feel like a race car but accelerating just feels a bit smoother. Will post my updates...
Keep us posted on your experience with Acceleration Boost! I thought I was going to buy it when I took delivery of my M3LR, but I quickly realized that the speed is plenty for everyday driving. In fact, I keep it in "chill" mode most of the time. But I'm still tempted...let us know how it goes!

The 15 reported VINs on the order spreadsheet are all for Short Range or Performance vehicles except for one Long Range. The Long Range was something unusual because the VIN was assigned the same day the vehicle was ordered. It was a 385xxx VIN and the most recent VIN in the spreadsheet is 398xxx from Friday.
I just spotted two more Long Range orders getting their VINs on the order spreadsheet. Both were on October 11 and both got VINs the same day. I have no idea if this is some weird Tesla thing, or if the people entering their data just don't remember when they ordered. None of the existing open orders for Long Range vehicles has reported a VIN in October.

I just spotted two more Long Range orders getting their VINs on the order spreadsheet. Both were on October 11 and both got VINs the same day. I have no idea if this is some weird Tesla thing, or if the people entering their data just don't remember when they ordered. None of the existing open orders for Long Range vehicles has reported a VIN in October.
I was one of them. It’s the LRs in existing inventory that say expected to be built for Nov-Dec. VIN assigned immediately but so far it doesn’t seem like anyone has a delivery date yet. Mine is late Oct-Thanksgiving.

I was one of them. It’s the LRs in existing inventory that say expected to be built for Nov-Dec. VIN assigned immediately but so far it doesn’t seem like anyone has a delivery date yet. Mine is late Oct-Thanksgiving.
Wow - so if you buy something from existing inventory you get a VIN. But those who placed an order months ago (June) must continue to wait. In any case, did you get a 2023 model?

Wow - so if you buy something from existing inventory you get a VIN. But those who placed an order months ago (June) must continue to wait. In any case, did you get a 2023 model?
Don’t have the car yet, but that is what I’m expecting from the order and in the app. I think some orders canceled or they added these vehicles in the simplest configuration to meet a production target.

Keep us posted on your experience with Acceleration Boost! I thought I was going to buy it when I took delivery of my M3LR, but I quickly realized that the speed is plenty for everyday driving. In fact, I keep it in "chill" mode most of the time. But I'm still tempted...let us know how it goes!
So my experiment has concluded.

For reference I drove the car on standard mode for 5 weeks. I then bought acceleration boost and drove it on my usual work route for 2 days. At first I didn't really notice a difference. Except when I looked at the spedometer I'd be at 40mph almost instantly. The car felt nice but I didn't really think it was a big deal. Then yesterday I returned the purchase...

This morning I confirmed I was back to normal and the car was set in standard mode again. And wow. The car had always felt fast but all of a sudden it was feeling sluggish. I could instantly tell that something was being "limited" in the engine. The same amount of force was now -10mph slower than before. I drove my normal work route again and could definitely tell the difference.

The standard and upgraded sport mode really are accurate titles. The car went from feeling like a sport car to feeling like a decent standard car. You really don't notice the difference until you revert back. It is very obvious now that the acceleration boost is the way the car should be. It's not a boost per se but actually unlocking the real car. (of course I know this is exactly what the software is doing)

So is it worth it? Well yes and no. The car is fast either way and a great drive. However, the car just feels more snappy and responsive unlocked with the boost. In addition, you will definitely notice a downgrade if you return the purchase. The car almost feels like something is wrong after getting used to the boost. If you can afford it I'd recommend it even if you're not a need for speed person. The acceleration overall feels smoother even at low speed. Autopilot also seems to work a little cleaner as well since it now has a few extra horses to use when it is driving at highway speed.

Fortunately, I have a 0% apr deal on one of my credit cards for the next 9 months so I will be "financing" it that way to spread out the hit. It is definitely a good purchase that will make the car a better driving experience. But if you never get it you will still be happy with what you have.