Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you timed it from 0 to 60? How much do you think you shave off. I’m tempted to get it also when I get the car. I drove the RWD and loved the feel of the car. Can’t even image what this would feel like!
I haven't officially timed it but I assume it's close to the 0.5s they advertise. However like I said before it makes the car overall feel smoother when accelerating. Also I'd say for the same force of the pedal you will go about 10mph faster. One day when I have a chance I'll officially time it though

Reactions: cmy4x4
Have you timed it from 0 to 60? How much do you think you shave off. I’m tempted to get it also when I get the car. I drove the RWD and loved the feel of the car. Can’t even image what this would feel like!
Here's Bjorn Nyland's video on this feature, including both before and after timings, plus the experience of purchasing it. Video from July 2022.

He was on 20" wheels and went from 4.46s to 4.04. Tesla says that it should go from 4.4s to 3.9s. Bjorn guessed that going to 18" wheels might make up the difference.

Reactions: jpaychek and ZZ118
I haven't officially timed it but I assume it's close to the 0.5s they advertise. However like I said before it makes the car overall feel smoother when accelerating. Also I'd say for the same force of the pedal you will go about 10mph faster. One day when I have a chance I'll officially time it though
Damn - I may need to get it then also. PPF plus acceleration boost is a hefty hit on the wallet; granted you can wait on the boost for another day.

Reactions: ZZ118
Damn - I may need to get it then also. PPF plus acceleration boost is a hefty hit on the wallet; granted you can wait on the boost for another day.
For me, within the first week, I got PPF, ceramic tint, ceramic coating, and AB. Overall it cost me around 4K. That’s with full frontal PPF. Doing doors this weekend, which will cost another 1.5k 🤑

Reactions: ColoradoMike
For me, within the first week, I got PPF, ceramic tint, ceramic coating, and AB. Overall it cost me around 4K. That’s with full frontal PPF. Doing doors this weekend, which will cost another 1.5k 🤑
damn, who did you use? i paid $945 for tint alone (windshield, back window, doors, $75 no fault warranty that the shop offered). and i have a huge bubble on the rear window (that they will be fixing) as well as clusters of small bubbles on 2 of the door windows (also getting fixed). shop has 4.9 stars and 600+ reviews on google maps, so kind of surprised by my experience.

damn, who did you use? i paid $945 for tint alone (windshield, back window, doors, $75 no fault warranty that the shop offered). and i have a huge bubble on the rear window (that they will be fixing) as well as clusters of small bubbles on 2 of the door windows (also getting fixed). shop has 4.9 stars and 600+ reviews on google maps, so kind of surprised by my experience.
Yeah, for me I was quoted north of $2500 just to PPF the frontal side of the car. The company is very famous in the Bay Area so I may use them, but still not decided. I know I can get the work done much cheaper, but run the risk of hitting issues later on.

Yeah, for me I was quoted north of $2500 just to PPF the frontal side of the car. The company is very famous in the Bay Area so I may use them, but still not decided. I know I can get the work done much cheaper, but run the risk of hitting issues later on.
Are you talking about OCDetailing? I went there for tint and ceramic. Expensive but the service and communication couldn’t have been better

I wish we would see more activity on the issuance of LR VINs. My financing expires mid-Dec and I really don’t want to apply for a new application with higher rates.
I wonder if they changed their logistics for this quarter. My understanding is typically they do east coast first then west, but it seems like they are trying to do more batches by region, whatever that means? If you look at the existing inventory for model 3s it’s all over the place geographically.

Are you talking about OCDetailing? I went there for tint and ceramic. Expensive but the service and communication couldn’t have been better
Yeah OCDetailing. Will probably use them but they do charge a premium. Am fearful what may happen if the PPF gets punctured and the added cost of having it taken off and a new film to be put back on. Also am debating whether I should pay more and get the doors done also. Have you had any issues (I don’t expect any) with your install like small bubbles or alike?

I wonder if they changed their logistics for this quarter. My understanding is typically they do east coast first then west, but it seems like they are trying to do more batches by region, whatever that means? If you look at the existing inventory for model 3s it’s all over the place geographically.
I see that all LR 3s are Nov-Dec estimates, so not even sure if the 2023 units are even coming out of the factory at this moment.

Reactions: JB47394
Yeah OCDetailing. Will probably use them but they do charge a premium. Am fearful what may happen if the PPF gets punctured and the added cost of having it taken off and a new film to be put back on. Also am debating whether I should pay more and get the doors done also. Have you had any issues (I don’t expect any) with your install like small bubbles or alike?
Yeah I didn’t opt for PPF due to price but tint has been great!! And they’d fix it free if anything went wrong

I went with Lion Window Tinting in San Mateo. Amazing customer service and they even drove me home to Daly City after I dropped my car off. Literally a 25min drive lol. They also added a bunch of extra stuff like PPF'd the rocker panels and top of the rear bumper (so loading the car wont scratch the paint). I recently decided to PPF the doors too because there's too many careless people out there. But yeah, PPF is definitely not cheap, but I love having my car look like new so well worth the cost for me :)

Reactions: SpeedBird23
It would take a good hit to puncture PPF. But then it all depends which brand you get as well. Xpel, Suntek, Llumar, and 3M are the best out there. But I already noticed about 6-7 rocks hit my hood/bumper and i just wiped it off with a microfiber cloth and its good as new. PPF is also self healing, so any swirls / rock "chips" from washing or highway driving will cure itself with heat.

Reactions: UtahRider
I wish we would see more activity on the issuance of LR VINs. My financing expires mid-Dec and I really don’t want to apply for a new application with higher rates.
I know, as someone who asked a question here about PPF, I feel like this is not the best place to discuss PPF. I just went through the last few pages of this thread - this was the only person mentioning VINs.

It seems like some of the orders people placed from existing inventory instantly got VINs appearing in-app (potentially all of these orders), has anyone in that situation heard anything about production status and or talked to anyone from Tesla? I've been seeing a lot of RWDs and a few M3Ps but haven't heard of anyone receiving a LR delivery yet. I'd assume they would work to fulfill the demand for these cars before RWD given they have a backlog of orders so big that you still can't order one custom.

I know, as someone who asked a question here about PPF, I feel like this is not the best place to discuss PPF. I just went through the last few pages of this thread - this was the only person mentioning VINs.

It seems like some of the orders people placed from existing inventory instantly got VINs appearing in-app (potentially all of these orders), has anyone in that situation heard anything about production status and or talked to anyone from Tesla? I've been seeing a lot of RWDs and a few M3Ps but haven't heard of anyone receiving a LR delivery yet. I'd assume they would work to fulfill the demand for these cars before RWD given they have a backlog of orders so big that you still can't order one custom.
So typically the first month of a quarter is very slow with deliveries. This is the first month of q4. The second month of the quarter has a big east coast favor for about 6 weeks. Towards the final month a large west coast push comes around the 2nd week of the month and continues until the end of the month/quarter. Then the cycle repeats. While there are exceptions this is historically how most orders play out.

Therefore east coast orders should expect to start getting VINs very soon with delivery at the start of November until middle December. West coast orders should expect VINs to start to come towards the end of Novemember around Thanksgiving. Things may be different due to the closing of the LR order books and the introduction of the tax break come 2023. I'd guess almost all orders will be VIN'd by the end of this quarter.

The instant VINs are apparently from ordering off the "existing inventory" page. There are a number of scenarios that I can think of:

1. Tesla hands out a VIN whenever anyone orders, and slaps that on the frame that's going to their order whenever they get around to building it.
2. Tesla has the production sequence so well structured that they can incorporate new orders as soon as they are placed.
3. Tesla has a predefined production sequence, and when you buy from existing inventory you're essentially taking a spot in the production sequence.

With the VINs being assigned so early, we can't use that event as an indication of "getting close to delivery".

So typically the first month of a quarter is very slow with deliveries.
That has been the way they've worked, but the Q3 earnings call included a statement that they're just shooting themselves in the foot by sticking with end of quarter pushes. Those pushes are clogging up the logistical network, costing Tesla money, and they hate spending money that they don't have to.

Page 21 of the Q3 Shareholder Deck shows the following figure which attempts to show how their current behavior (blue lines) needs to be supplanted by smooth deliveries (red lines).

Untitled.png

So we may see some changes in the cadence of deliveries. For reference from last quarter, deliveries were really active starting July 23. Here we are at October 20, and nobody is talking about being able to schedule their delivery yet. We know that Tesla has a bunch of vehicles built that people already have VINs for, so I can only assume that they're changing up the logistics in an effort to get closer to the "smooth delivery" cadence. Otherwise, they'd already be at the delivery sites, ready to go.

Edit: VINs were being assigned well before July 20, so something has changed in Tesla's operations.

The instant VINs are apparently from ordering off the "existing inventory" page. There are a number of scenarios that I can think of:

1. Tesla hands out a VIN whenever anyone orders, and slaps that on the frame that's going to their order whenever they get around to building it.
2. Tesla has the production sequence so well structured that they can incorporate new orders as soon as they are placed.
3. Tesla has a predefined production sequence, and when you buy from existing inventory you're essentially taking a spot in the production sequence.

With the VINs being assigned so early, we can't use that event as an indication of "getting close to delivery".

That has been the way they've worked, but the Q3 earnings call included a statement that they're just shooting themselves in the foot by sticking with end of quarter pushes. Those pushes are clogging up the logistical network, costing Tesla money, and they hate spending money that they don't have to.

Page 21 of the Q3 Shareholder Deck shows the following figure which attempts to show how their current behavior (blue lines) needs to be supplanted by smooth deliveries (red lines).

View attachment 865959

So we may see some changes in the cadence of deliveries. For reference from last quarter, deliveries were really active starting July 23. Here we are at October 20, and nobody is talking about being able to schedule their delivery yet. We know that Tesla has a bunch of vehicles built that people already have VINs for, so I can only assume that they're changing up the logistics in an effort to get closer to the "smooth delivery" cadence. Otherwise, they'd already be at the delivery sites, ready to go.

Edit: VINs were being assigned well before July 20, so something has changed in Tesla's operations.
Yes every month Musk says they need to stop the pushes and yet as the data shows above every month they follow the same pattern. So while I agree with you that is certainly Tesla's long term plan history seems to show they will follow the above cycle. It is certainly interesting to see the data for once which confirms what has long been known here about the q month 1,2,3 cycle.

It seems like some of the orders people placed from existing inventory instantly got VINs appearing in-app (potentially all of these orders), has anyone in that situation heard anything about production status and or talked to anyone from Tesla? I've been seeing a lot of RWDs and a few M3Ps but haven't heard of anyone receiving a LR delivery yet. I'd assume they would work to fulfill the demand for these cars before RWD given they have a backlog of orders so big that you still can't order one custom+2