Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it was the inventory approach. However if you go back in these archives to the start you'll see that people there were getting VINs shortly after placing an order but the car still wasn't made/delivered for a few weeks.
They could probably do that because the production volume was so low and the process was very straightforward - and, likely, inefficient. They must have been doing all sorts of funky things with high volume production to make it as efficient as possible, precluding even knowing which VIN goes with which order until they actually start building the vehicle.

This new pattern of assigning a VIN instantly but not having a delivery date suggests to me that they've changed the way they're structuring the production process. Instead of taking orders haphazardly and trying to build a production queue from that, they pick a production queue and have people pick vehicles from that planned set of vehicles. They may even be trying to plan the logistics of delivery because the "inventory" stuff shows locations for each vehicle.

Reactions: jpaychek and ZZ118
They could probably do that because the production volume was so low and the process was very straightforward - and, likely, inefficient. They must have been doing all sorts of funky things with high volume production to make it as efficient as possible, precluding even knowing which VIN goes with which order until they actually start building the vehicle.

This new pattern of assigning a VIN instantly but not having a delivery date suggests to me that they've changed the way they're structuring the production process. Instead of taking orders haphazardly and trying to build a production queue from that, they pick a production queue and have people pick vehicles from that planned set of vehicles. They may even be trying to plan the logistics of delivery because the "inventory" stuff shows locations for each vehicle.
Yes I agree with that assessment. This is the smarter way to it as well. Almost like a real company lol.

Reactions: JB47394
Also have a 387xxx VIN but mine was instantly assigned after ordering on 10/11. My EDD shows 11/4-11/30 to the Seattle area; I’m hoping it ends up getting closer to yours! Congrats and Godspeed.
I ordered 10/30 got a 388xxx assigned immediately. My EDD shows 11/28-12/26. The wait is killing me lol. I also ordered a Model 3 RWD and it got pushed to Jan- Feb

Reactions: JB47394
Also have a 387xxx VIN but mine was instantly assigned after ordering on 10/11. My EDD shows 11/4-11/30 to the Seattle area; I’m hoping it ends up getting closer to yours! Congrats and Godspeed.
Thank you.

Just got an email to schedule delivery, but no appointments are available. Perhaps a glitch in the system. Will call the SA shortly. I think I am getting close!

Reactions: foot and Mob Dee