Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I found the answer myself, in March the battery sourcing requirements go into effect so most likely Tesla models won't fully qualify, is that it?
That's what I'm assuming. I'm wondering what will happen to all the people who order and get a qualifying estimated delivery date only to find that Tesla doesn't hit that date. I guess they'll just get the tax credit that applies when they take delivery - whatever that works out to be.

I really wish the federal government had ramped the tax credit to be something like $7,500 for a $35,000 car, dropping to $500 for a $75,000 car. Messing with supply and demand seems like a really bad idea. But I guess since Tesla is the one most affected, nobody really cared. That said, Tesla stock is down 2.3% but Ford is down 5.4%, which surprises me. It's not like Ford's revenues or profits are coming from their EV offerings.

Edit:

Yeah, just before Christmas, the Treasury Department said that they were going to delay updating the rules until March. That suggests to me that this Tesla offering only really applies through February, but may continue as long as the Treasury Department takes to announce their update.

I expect a lot of orders are going to miss the March estimate/deadline. Tesla is notoriously late with deliveries and this sudden order surge is surely going to make their timeline prediction system even less accurate than usual.

That said, it seems likely that a $3750 credit will still apply, and Tesla typically introduces significant upgrades each April. There are rumors of a bumper redesign, camera capability update, and radar reintroduction, to name just a few possibilities for the April builds.

That's what I'm assuming. I'm wondering what will happen to all the people who order and get a qualifying estimated delivery date only to find that Tesla doesn't hit that date. I guess they'll just get the tax credit that applies when they take delivery - whatever that works out to be.

I really wish the federal government had ramped the tax credit to be something like $7,500 for a $35,000 car, dropping to $500 for a $75,000 car. Messing with supply and demand seems like a really bad idea. But I guess since Tesla is the one most affected, nobody really cared. That said, Tesla stock is down 2.3% but Ford is down 5.4%, which surprises me. It's not like Ford's revenues or profits are coming from their EV offerings.

Edit:

Yeah, just before Christmas, the Treasury Department said that they were going to delay updating the rules until March. That suggests to me that this Tesla offering only really applies through February, but may continue as long as the Treasury Department takes to announce their update.

You got to remember; Stock price is extremely forward thinking. Not only next years profit, or the profit the following year, more so the profit expectations for 10-20+ years from now, which obviously are extremely hard to predict.

Maybe the price drops show how difficult it will be for Ford to compete with Tesla many years from now, not to mention the onslaught of other EV competition coming.

Could, shoulda,woulda. Anyone who bought the car bought it at a fair price at the time. Plus rates were much lower so its all relative. Prices drop and prices rise that's the way of the world.

If you bought the car for resale value that was a very poor decision as rule one of cars is cars are not assets

That said the 53k m3p hurts me big time lol
I paid top dollar in late Nov. Pretty sure the old M3LR I sold would be worth $10k less now so it’s a wash.

Reactions: ZZ118
You got to remember; Stock price is extremely forward thinking. Not only next years profit, or the profit the following year, more so the profit expectations for 10-20+ years from now, which obviously are extremely hard to predict.
Investors are forward thinking, but the market these days has far too much speculation in it, and speculators are moved by short term news. That's true whether it's young retail investors looking for a quick kill through options and shorting or large firms running high frequency trading software. I suspect that Tesla has a very healthy share of speculators.
I knew they would eventually get price back down to the level prior to the pandemic, just not this fast. This is going to make it hard for other companies to compete on price and make money.
I'm sure Tesla had no interest in lowering prices at this point, but the IRA required it. The price of an EV sedan has been set at no more than $55,000.

Last edited:
I'm sure Tesla had no interest in lowering prices at this point, but the IRA required it. The price of an EV sedan has been set at no more than $55,000.
I'm sure Tesla had an interest in lowering the price as they did it on all models, including S/X up to 20k cuts which are ineligible for tax credits.

Tesla lowered prices all over the world both where incentives are irrelevant or now available.

Tesla did this because demand dropped at the prior price levels. If Tesla still had multiple month waiting lists on all models they wouldn't have dropped prices.

Reactions: Andrometer4
Investors are forward thinking, but the market these days has far too much speculation in it, and speculators are moved by short term news. That's true whether it's young retail investors looking for a quick kill through options and shorting or large firms running high frequency trading software. I suspect that Tesla has a very healthy share of speculators.
If you believe a bunch of speculators are making Tesla stock move in the wrong direction short term put your money where your mouth is. Buy the opposite direction and wait to profit.

Probably much easier to post a statement about how correct your knowledge is of the market than stick money out there to prove it .

I'm sure Tesla had an interest in lowering the price as they did it on all models, including S/X up to 20k cuts which are ineligible for tax credits.

Tesla lowered prices all over the world both where incentives are irrelevant or now available.

Tesla did this because demand dropped at the prior price levels. If Tesla still had multiple month waiting lists on all models they wouldn't have dropped prices.
I can believe that demand was eventually going to fade. They couldn't keep selling at the elevated prices over the summer forever. That said, I think that the IRA was a door slamming shut as opposed to a gradual drop in prices. You definitely have a point over the drop in prices for the S and X.
If you believe a bunch of speculators are making Tesla stock move in the wrong direction short term put your money where your mouth is. Buy the opposite direction and wait to profit.

Probably much easier to post a statement about how correct your knowledge is of the market than stick money out there to prove it .
Um, I did? But even if I didn't because of an inability to do so, why the aggressive tone?

I purchased my M3LR Deep Blue Metallic at the end of December (12/30/22) for $60,440 (incl. $1200 destination fee, $250 order fee). I received $7,500 off (Tesla discount), plus a $500 NY state rebate applied at time of purchase. The total cost of my purchase was $52,440. Current pricing on the M3LR Deep Blue Metallic is $52,130 (incl. $1390 destination fee, $250 order fee, -$500 NY state rebate). I don't qualify for the $7,500 federal tax rebate that went into effect this year. I didn't do too bad! :)

I can believe that demand was eventually going to fade. They couldn't keep selling at the elevated prices over the summer forever. That said, I think that the IRA was a door slamming shut as opposed to a gradual drop in prices. You definitely have a point over the drop in prices for the S and X.
Raising prices in frequent small steps can lead to additional sales, as buyers develope FOMO, fear of missing out.

But for price cuts it's the opposite, gradual price decreases would make buyers hesitant to buy for fear they'll miss a price cut. Thus it makes more sense for Tesla to do very infrequent but huge price drops as they did, both in the US and more impactful for them, all over the world.

If the corrupt UAW and democrats didn't try to get the model Y excluded from the 80k price cap maybe that price wouldn't have dropped so much. I think Tesla sort of said F you to all those competitors, now let's see you try to compete against the inexpensive model Y that we can still make for a profit while all ICE manufacturers sell EVs for a loss.

Other than that I think price cuts happened somewhat independent of the tax credit. Prices are still higher than 2020. It's just we had a crazy new car shortage and runaway increase of new prices, but now those have been clawed back.

I purchased my M3LR Deep Blue Metallic at the end of December (12/30/22) for $60,440 (incl. $1200 destination fee, $250 order fee). I received $7,500 off (Tesla discount), plus a $500 NY state rebate applied at time of purchase. The total cost of my purchase was $52,440. Current pricing on the M3LR Deep Blue Metallic is $52,130 (incl. $1390 destination fee, $250 order fee, -$500 NY state rebate). I don't qualify for the $7,500 federal tax rebate that went into effect this year. I didn't do too bad! :)
You also got the free supercharging right? So you really came out ahead by buying in December.

It's really only people who would get the tax credit that missed out.

Reactions: launchd