Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd have probably saved $3k or 10k after tax credit if I bought model Y now instead of August. If I'd ordered at peak prices I'd have lost 12k or 20k after tax credit.

But I bought in a different environment. My tradeins were worth way more. There was no new cars available. I made a buying decision at the time which made sense then and I can afford for the years ahead. I love the car. Any loss is a sunk cost I will ignore, a d have zero regrets of.

My stocks went down much more than 20k in 2022. Yes if I knew when the peak was I could've sold when it was high and bought when it's low. I have a finance degree and CPA but can't predict any of that stuff (and would argue really nobody can) so I just have to make the best financial choice at the time and live with the market going up or down later.

Same applies to the car market.

If the corrupt UAW and democrats didn't try to get the model Y excluded from the 80k price cap maybe that price wouldn't have dropped so much.

As a staunch anti-Republican I agree with your slanderous remarks against Democrats in this context and of course the UAW in any context. But it's the IRS that drew the line between cars and SUVs, and it's the Feds as a whole who agreed to use IRS classifications for the distinction - a very reasonable approach for a *tax* rebate.

But you make a great point, Tesla didn't have much choice in the matter. Cutting prices to qualify is surely the most profitable approach in the long run.

The fundamental issue here is that "SUVs" cannot be described or classified, and most importantly - shouldn't be. A family vehicle is a family vehicle, and there should be no random arbitrary rules exempting a vehicle from taxes, safety, or pollution standards based on their weight or ground clearance. The "Democrats" unfortunately doubled down on this insanity by first, basing the new law around a car/SUV distinction, and second, by exaggerating it with such a huge price limit difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacO512
Received confirmation text that VIN has been assigned with
EDD of Feb 10 - Feb 17.

New 23 LRAWD Black/White/19 $53,990 less $7,500 EV Tax credit

1674584513266.png

$7,500 Federal Tax Credit
Certain new Model 3 and Model Y vehicles qualify for a federal tax credit for eligible buyers. This credit amount is in effect for deliveries until March 2023.

IRS list of Tesla EVs that qualify for the tax credit.

1674584827632.png

I also received confirmation email this morning at 5:10am that VIN has been assigned with an EDD of Feb 11 - Feb 17.

New 23 LRAWD Midnight Silver Metallic/Black Interior/19" Sport Wheels/ $52,490 and qualifies for $7,500 EV Tax credit.

I placed an order for a Model 3 Performance two days ago. Last night (at midnight) while checking my account, I selected the option to look at the available inventory. (3) 2023 LRAWD were immediately available. I decided to sleep on it. Awoke at 0500 and (2) were still showing up. Decided to change my order to the one above. Confirmation/VIN received 10 minutes later.

I agonized about the decision between the Performance and Long Range. Ultimately, the assurance (fingers crossed) of receiving the LR in time for the tax credit, outweighed my desire for the wow factor of the Performance. I might have still taken delivery in time, but the perceived surge in orders had me second guessing. I know I'll be happy with the car. Does this mean I'm getting old?😁

I don't think the performance qualifies for the federal rebate because it's above the $55k price mark no?

In any case, as someone who has owned both, I think you'll be plenty fine and happy with the LR. Especially if you get the performance boost which I think is still $2k? The only other thing you'll be missing is the brakes (which I believe people have found Tesla secretly swapped back and just painted it red to look performance?) and the on-screen options available only in Performance.

I don't think the performance qualifies for the federal rebate because it's above the $55k price mark no?

In any case, as someone who has owned both, I think you'll be plenty fine and happy with the LR. Especially if you get the performance boost which I think is still $2k? The only other thing you'll be missing is the brakes (which I believe people have found Tesla secretly swapped back and just painted it red to look performance?) and the on-screen options available only in Performance.
With the price change this month, the Performance , in Metallic Midnight, now sits at $54,990! If a buyer chooses Black or Red, it puts you over the $55k. My coworker has owned (3) Model 3s and just passed the same info to me. He currently has a Performance that he paid $65k for in Aug and came from a LRAWD. He raves about the M3P, but doesn't disparage the LRAWD either. Thank you for your response! I wasn't aware of the optional boost (Newb).

With the price change this month, the Performance , in Metallic Midnight, now sits at $54,990! If a buyer chooses Black or Red, it puts you over the $55k. My coworker has owned (3) Model 3s and just passed the same info to me. He currently has a Performance that he paid $65k for in Aug and came from a LRAWD. He raves about the M3P, but doesn't disparage the LRAWD either. Thank you for your response! I wasn't aware of the optional boost (Newb).
Oh wow, you're right. I missed that, I was mostly just looking at existing inventory and didn't realize building one is below that price point. It looks like the Model Y 5-seater config also is below $55k when doing a build. Now that's tempting...as much as I hate the look of the Model Y, it's a convenient car with great range....hmmmm

Reactions: Steamer
It's been awhile since I've been here, but just thought I'd take a look around at what's been going on lately. Got the car back in the summer (actually 6 months ago today). I'm trying not to think much about the recent price cuts, rebates, free supercharger miles, and whatever else I missed out on. It is what it is and no looking back. I'm still very happy with my decision and have a big smile on my face every time I drive the car.

I'm still happy I got my car when I did. The price cuts definitely hurt anyone who bought one prior to. But I love my ultrasonic sensors. I use them about 95% of the time I park or enter/leave a tight parking lot. Wouldn't buy the car now. The cameras can't do what the senors can...yet. The ones who really got hurt are those who got the really 2023 without the seniors and without the price cut and I do feel for them.

Reactions: Steamer
I'm still happy I got my car when I did. The price cuts definitely hurt anyone who bought one prior to. But I love my ultrasonic sensors. I use them about 95% of the time I park or enter/leave a tight parking lot. Wouldn't buy the car now. The cameras can't do what the senors can...yet. The ones who really got hurt are those who got the really 2023 without the seniors and without the price cut and I do feel for them.
What would you buy instead? You can get a new Long Range for as little as $50,000.

I'll always be content with my purchase because a big part of my purchase decision was to help make sure that Tesla succeeded. An American company that was building really good electric cars in America that didn't involve dealerships? That must be made to succeed. Without that impetus, I'm not sure I would have purchased such a ridiculously expensive car. And a sedan at that. Where's my truck?

What would you buy instead? You can get a new Long Range for as little as $50,000.

I'll always be content with my purchase because a big part of my purchase decision was to help make sure that Tesla succeeded. An American company that was building really good electric cars in America that didn't involve dealerships? That must be made to succeed. Without that impetus, I'm not sure I would have purchased such a ridiculously expensive car. And a sedan at that. Where's my truck?

My previous daily driver (2018 Volkswagen GTI S) didn't have parking sensors so, not having them doesn't impact me in the slightest... I can successfully park a car (manual or automatic) in all situations with just my eyes and my car's mirrors (an amazing feat in this day and age, I know).

But, removing parking sensors on a $50,000 car before an alternative solution to them is ready, really is a piss poor business decision from a customer satisfaction standpoint. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that these sensors became a supply chain issue which, potentially, was impacting production speed. However, if that was the case, it should've been relayed to the consumer population as such to provide as much clarity/context behind the decision as possible. At the moment, Tesla's decision to remove them just seems to point to sheer incompetence and a total lack of judgement.

Is what it is - I personally prefer not to hear my car annoyingly beeping at me while I'm trying to park anyway. Good riddance.

Reactions: ZZ118

Couldn't tell you what I would have bought cause I really wanted a tesla and everything lined up. BUT if I wasn't going to get the seniors AND my software assists like summon would be disabled at purchase would have seriously needed to consider a different company. I bought tesla ( aside for needing a car) for 2 reasons first the technology and second the benefit (maintenance) of an EV. However the tech was the main seller. If not for the tech maybe a nice ICE car like a Lexus or benz

My previous daily driver (2018 Volkswagen GTI S) didn't have parking sensors so, not having them doesn't impact me in the slightest... I can successfully park a car (manual or automatic) in all situations with just my eyes and my car's mirrors (an amazing feat in this day and age, I know).

But, removing parking sensors on a $50,000 car before an alternative solution to them is ready, really is a piss poor business decision from a customer satisfaction standpoint. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that these sensors became a supply chain issue which, potentially, was impacting production speed. However, if that was the case, it should've been relayed to the consumer population as such to provide as much clarity/context behind the decision as possible. At the moment, Tesla's decision to remove them just seems to point to sheer incompetence and a total lack of judgement.

Is what it is - I personally prefer not to hear my car annoyingly beeping at me while I'm trying to park anyway. Good riddance.
Lol i agree the beeps are annoying but I try to keep my car in mint condition ( not saying you don't) and I can't tell you how many times the sensors have helped me from curbing the car or bumping those concrete things in parking spots. I'm not a bad driver and I never used to have the sensors but since having them it has really helped me calibrate my parking better. Also for some reason the Tesla just seems bigger then my previous car and has a little bit more blindspots imo

Been monitoring M3LR and the inventory seems to be drying up. A few days ago, there were several in Texas. Now none and only 13 nationwide according to an inventory tracker I look at.
My area was also empty, but now there are some cars for sale again. tesla-info.com lists 28 new Model 3 Long Range vehicles in the US and I can see 4 within 200 miles of me.

This low volume, intermittent stock of vehicles is odd. I wonder if Tesla is going full bore on Long Range production, but they're sending most of them to corporate customers. Hertz is apparently buying only Rear Wheel Drive trims, but I wonder if other corporate buyers are consuming Tesla's production. It doesn't make sense that Tesla is making 28 cars a week.

My area was also empty, but now there are some cars for sale again. tesla-info.com lists 28 new Model 3 Long Range vehicles in the US and I can see 4 within 200 miles of me.

This low volume, intermittent stock of vehicles is odd. I wonder if Tesla is going full bore on Long Range production, but they're sending most of them to corporate customers. Hertz is apparently buying only Rear Wheel Drive trims, but I wonder if other corporate buyers are consuming Tesla's production. It doesn't make sense that Tesla is making 28 cars a week.
i checked that site earlier today, and there were 13 available nationwide. Things change quickly.