Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR not currently available to order (USA) [posted 08.12.2022 --Its back! 05.02.2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the same process. I ordered a SR RWD + Enhanced AP and I was stunned later on to realize it is almost the same prize as a LR, once the LR was available for buying in Canada. I like the LFP but at the same time, I like the better range too. What I don't like is that the LR gets the batteries from LG Energy Solution who ****ed up the Bolt EV and GM made them pay $ 2B for battery replacements that everyone knows about. At the same time, the same LG Energy Solution has a partnership with GM for their Ultium batteries. Tesla too. Soo... maybe in the end it's not that bad. But ...

Can you buy a used Tesla? IMO the 2021-2022 AWD LR are the best Model 3 units ever built.

Reactions: Noigle and jsight
Dam so going off of what everyone seems to think here, the new LR doesn't seem likely to be LFP (which I was hoping for). The speculations based off the context seems correct.

That being said, is the LFP battery of the SR better lasting than the coming US LR? While I'm not too worried about the battery life of NCA, I've read that LFP seems to last ~x3 times as long with up to a million charge cycles.

I dont really care about the charging only up to 80%-90% because its still plenty for my daily use of about 50-60miles~. With long distance or road trips, Tesla's super charger network is good enough for me.

I have the LR on order right now with a EDD of May 30th - June 27th. With the price difference and battery difference, would you guys consider the LFP Standard Range over the Long Range at all or is the difference worth it?

My biggest reluctant factor is the battery not being LFP because it is supposed to last longer. I'm planning on driving this car into the dirt (10+ years at least).
The range is inconsequential for me personally and I would be fine with the range the LFP car offers.

But the extra power, speed and traction of the LR over the RWD is significant. Especially if you get a lot of rain or snow.

Theoretically LFP lasts longer but interestingly Tesla has a slightly worse warranty for LFP/RWD cars at 8yr/100k vs 8yr/120k for everything else. Possibly just a carry over from the SR+ NCA cars but something to keep in mind.

Reactions: jsight and 804son
In the end I went through and made the switch from SR RWD LFP + EAP to a LR. It is indeed the MIC (Made In China) version, with the 75 kWh nominal / 72 kWh usable battery capacity. It looks like the max charging speed for it is 210 kW on a v3 SuC and 150 kW on a v2 SuC.

Last edited:
Just saw that the Model Y is now shipping with Hardware 4. I would almost guarantee that this LR will have hardware 4, and I’d bet it is the redesigned model as well. It was hard to fathom them releasing a temporary LR just before the redesign, but now it is even harder to imagine them adding HW 4 temporarily then switching in a few months. Unless highland is a ways off.

Just saw that the Model Y is now shipping with Hardware 4. I would almost guarantee that this LR will have hardware 4, and I’d bet it is the redesigned model as well. It was hard to fathom them releasing a temporary LR just before the redesign, but now it is even harder to imagine them adding HW 4 temporarily then switching in a few months. Unless highland is a ways off.
This is my hope as well. And the official silence from Tesla is a little suspicious just because we know they don't formally announce refreshes until they're in production.

Reactions: King David
The LR has the official EPA rating. It is rated for 333 miles per Tesla's website. Some people are now saying it is not LFP but some are still saying it is, so I haven't had any conformation on that part. Everyone is still hoping it is Highland though, and I would still almost guarantee it will have HW4.

Reactions: Diceroller
The LR has the official EPA rating. It is rated for 333 miles per Tesla's website. Some people are now saying it is not LFP but some are still saying it is, so I haven't had any conformation on that part. Everyone is still hoping it is Highland though, and I would still almost guarantee it will have HW4.

I'll bet you $100 a 333 mile range M3LR is not LFP since we already HAVE a M3 LFP car in the form of the M3SR that's got 275 miles of range

Reactions: voldar and Hiline