TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 / Model S AP Confusion (a good problem to have)

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by Daniellane, May 8, 2018.

1. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

After driving our new Model 3 all last week, I jumped into our Model S 100D to test 2018.18. (Ceramic Coating was still curing on the MS last week)
    Attempted to engage Autosteer (or so I thought) by pressing the gearshift stalk down twice. Of course there was no audible feedback. I quickly realized I was having a Model 3 muscle memory moment.
    It did nothing. I was still in drive.
    I am concerned that attempts at canceling AP could result in unintentionally shifting into Neutral at high speeds.
    Perhaps Tesla should consider adding the option of using the Gearshift stalk on the S/X to engage/cancel Autosteer /TACC as it does in the Model 3.
    I don’t really see any downside.
    Any thoughts...

• Like x 1
  2. kingjamez

kingjamez Member

You can’t really hurt anything switching into neutral at high speeds. It’ll just seem like you are coasting.

3. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

I doubt there'll be many people switching back and forth between S/X and 3. Some, yes, and they'll be vocal here, but not enough to 1) duplicate functionality that exists on another dedicated control stalk and 2) isn't visibly indicated on the vehicle like the PRND controls are.

When I switched from my Civic to my S, it took about a week for me to stop shifting into neutral when I wanted to activate the wipers. Different cars, different control schemes.

4. evp

evp Nerd

I don't see any reason why they changed the functionality of the control stalks. Once could argue that the lack of mechanical locking of the turn signal saves them a few bucks of manufacturing complexity, but changing the actual functionality of the controls does not impress me.

5. kingjamez

kingjamez Member

They eliminated an entire stalk. Model 3 is all about simplifying.

6. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

I have to assume that at this point, the majority of Model 3 owners also own an S or X based on the fact that most deliveries have been to current Tesla owners.

7. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

Let’s find out.
    Take the survey...
    Multi-Tesla Model 3 Households Survey

8. WallyP

WallyP Member

I drive both MS/M3, voted accordingly, and have same concerns as Daniellane

9. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

Although not completely scientific, this survey suggests otherwise. Probably skewed to MS/X owners since most on this forum probably are already.
    Multi-Tesla Model 3 Households Survey

BEA49F78-C8B1-49FB-884D-647FD3C75556.png

10. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

The real reason (my theory anyway) for the lack of mechanical locking on the turn signal is for autonomous driving (if/when it ever happens). Drastically simplifies method of actuating turn signals without physically have operator use the stalk. It's all software controlled.

11. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

Don't forget that the first several thousand Model 3 deliveries were to existing Tesla owners. And yeah, this forum is very self-selecting — don't put too much stock in an unscientific survey with minimal responses.

• Like x 1