Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 MR charges at 32 amp vs LR at 48 amp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting spec --- but lest it put anyone off, consider that is plenty fast for any overnight charging.

I've been charging my S for 4.5 years at 30 amps overnight just to have extra heat/wear margin. It's plenty fast for overnight.

I agree. I think the only time it would make a difference is if we need to add quick miles during daytime in a rush, but can't get to a supercharger. One can add about 90 miles in two hours with the LR, but MR is going to take three hours. It probably will never be an issue for most of us.

Reactions: GSP and APotatoGod
I suspect they have the same charger in both, but it is intentionally limited to 32A because it has fewer cells to distribute the charge across. That can't really be the whole explanation, because it should probably have 260/310ths of 48A = 40.25A as a limit. Maybe they are just trying to get people in the LR RWD version, since it seems obvious you could software-limit the 48 amp charger to 40 amps.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
32A would be downright painful here. We have zero Superchargers in central Canada, and essentially no L3 charging. 48A on road trips is painful enough, 32A would be horrendous. Ugh.

Maybe start a go fund me for Superchargers?

Interesting that Tesla stressed the MR and LR are the same battery pack, with the MR battery pack having less cells. So either they found the time to change out the on-board charger integrated into the battery pack to a 32A max charger, or it's the same charger in the LR, but software limited.

Musk seemed to want to make the point that the SR will be a new pack, presumably lighter, cheaper, and with a lower power charger. So the MR is likely software limited to not exceed a certain per cell C rate.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Interesting that Tesla stressed the MR and LR are the same battery pack, with the MR battery pack having less cells. So either they found the time to change out the on-board charger integrated into the battery pack to a 32A max charger, or it's the same charger in the LR, but software limited.
MR is an SR upsell, not an LR downsell. They aren't going to give people encouragement to give them less money. They made that mistake with the "60"s.

Reactions: Twiglett
I suspect they have the same charger in both, but it is intentionally limited to 32A because it has fewer cells to distribute the charge across. That can't really be the whole explanation, because it should probably have 260/310ths of 48A = 40.25A as a limit. Maybe they are just trying to get people in the LR RWD version, since it seems obvious you could software-limit the 48 amp charger to 40 amps.
Not exactly true, but I do suspect it is the same charger with some components removed.

32A would be downright painful here. We have zero Superchargers in central Canada, and essentially no L3 charging. 48A on road trips is painful enough, 32A would be horrendous. Ugh.
The Gen2 UMC (that comes with Model 3) is limited to 32A anyway, so unless you're talking about an HPWC or buying a Gen1 UMC for your road trips isn't it irrelevant?

I have a shocker for you: 48A charger is also a software limited device. Now what?
In an EV EVERYTHING is software limited. Come out of dinosaur age already and stop being surprised by it.

The charger is adapted to the environment where it will need to function. MR battery has less cells in parallel, that means lower max current during driving AND charging. It also means less maximum output power and less regen power.

Limitations limitations ...

I have a shocker for you: 48A charger is also a software limited device. Now what?
In an EV EVERYTHING is software limited. Come out of dinosaur age already and stop being surprised by it.

The charger is adapted to the environment where it will need to function. MR battery has less cells in parallel, that means lower max current during driving AND charging. It also means less maximum output power and less regen power.

Limitations limitations ...

you are mixing up software limitations and hardware limitations. you could have a 250 hp motor software limited to 225 hp, or you could have it limited to 500 hp. the former will work, the latter may cause the motor to fail in spectacular fashion.

the structure of the battery even with the removed cells has max charging capabilities of way less than what the 48a charger could supply. they probably did this (if the AC charger is a HW change) to save money as less amps = less cost, probably not that much but every little bit counts. just look at the old 60 kwh Model S and X which charges at least 40a (not sure if dual chargers were available with the 60 kwH?)

Reactions: APotatoGod
you are mixing up software limitations and hardware limitation
No, I am not.
You on the other hand do not understand electrics. There is no 250 hp electric motor.
Any motor can output 250 hp for *some* limited duration. If duration goes for hours, you may rate it at 250 hp continuous.
Same motor could be rated at say 500hp for 10s periods.

This is not explosions and max pressure.