Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 MR charges at 32 amp vs LR at 48 amp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I read that somewhere in the past months (years) since placing my reservation, thank you for confirming. I like the idea of having an adapter on me at all times too so I'm not sure how I'm going to proceed. I have a few weeks to figure it out, in the meantime I'm going to run a 100 amp subpanel to the garage to be ready to add the wall charger or nema plug

In three years of owning a Volt and one month of owning a Model 3 I have never used the mobile connectors that came with them. There are enough public L2 stations so I never needed to charge from an outlet.

In three years of owning a Volt and one month of owning a Model 3 I have never used the mobile connectors that came with them. There are enough public L2 stations so I never needed to charge from an outlet.
Wow I found the opposite true with my volt. Not once did I ever see an open charging space while owning it, they were always ICEed or there was an EV plugged into them. Granted, it was a short duration.

Does this mean the MR will charge slower at a supercharger? Anyone have any estimates how fast it'll charge to get a decent range?

The LR Model 3 is supposedly ready for the next level Supercharging and will go much faster than 120kW, possibly to 180kW....

So I'd say that the difference will be much more apparent for those buying LR when the new Supercharging upgrades roll out sometime in the next 6-18 months.

Until you have proof that the on-board charger hardware is identical between the 3 LR and MR, your assertion is speculation, at best.
The parts catalog, unless they have changed something, appears to reference part 1135558-00-C for the PCS which is what I though converted the AC to DC for battery. It isn't listed separately, making me assume the 32A charger is limited in software.

https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47333

Last edited:
The parts catalog, unless they have changed something, appears to reference part 1135558-00-C for the PCS which is what I though converted the AC to DC for battery. It isn't listed separately, making me assume the 32A charger is limited in software.

Good find. You may be onto something. When I read your post, I thought perhaps MR components are too new for the catalog. So I checked to see if they have the MR battery pack in the catalog. They do!
So, unless the catalog is incomplete, it does appear that there is only one onboard charger part number for Model 3 so far.

Reactions: GSP and eprosenx

Good find. You may be onto something. When I read your post, I thought perhaps MR components are too new for the catalog. So I checked to see if they have the MR battery pack in the catalog. They do!
So, unless the catalog is incomplete, it does appear that there is only one onboard charger part number for Model 3 so far.

There's a really good thread on this here:Automobile Mag: Quick Drive: Tesla Model 3 Performance AWD

Apparently the part number is the same and the hardware looks identical but the different rating for said hardware is buried in the software that is in the hardware.....or in the main computer of the car or both.

"A lot of modern HW, especially HW controlled by SW, tells the software what it's capable of."
Automobile Mag: Quick Drive: Tesla Model 3 Performance AWD

This appears to be true in the case of the rear drive units in the parts catalog.....even though we know the performance version of the mosfets in the P version are hand picked.

So here's my dumb question:

If you have a performance model 3 and you want to order a new rear drive unit how the heck does Tesla know which one to give you if they all have the same part number. In the case of the onboard charger I can believe that it makes no difference- one PN works for all. ...but I don't understand how it works in the rear drive unit where we know there are different units with higher performance Mosfets.......yet they have the same PN in the catalog.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP

If you have a performance model 3 and you want to order a new rear drive unit how the heck does Tesla know which one to give you if they all have the same part number. In the case of the onboard charger I can believe that it makes no difference- one PN works for all. ...but I don't understand how it works in the rear drive unit where we know there are different units with higher performance Mosfets.......yet they have the same PN in the catalog.

Do they really have to know? They could just grab the first one on the shelf and probably no one could tell the difference if the car is running performance s/w. Maybe the car will be 0.1 sec slower 0-60, or the motor will break a month sooner, but no one could really tell.

This kind of reminded me that on our last trip to Hong Kong. We went into a tourists oriented restaurant and saw a dish, soy sauce noddles. It was about $180HK. We asked the waiter why is it $180HK when we just had that the night before at another restaurant for $30HK. (BTW, you could also get it on the street cart for like $5HK) And the waiter at the expansive restaurant said, "It is because we use the BEST soy sauce." o_O

you are mixing up software limitations and hardware limitations. you could have a 250 hp motor software limited to 225 hp, or you could have it limited to 500 hp. the former will work, the latter may cause the motor to fail in spectacular fashion.

the structure of the battery even with the removed cells has max charging capabilities of way less than what the 48a charger could supply. they probably did this (if the AC charger is a HW change) to save money as less amps = less cost, probably not that much but every little bit counts. just look at the old 60 kwh Model S and X which charges at least 40a (not sure if dual chargers were available with the 60 kwH?)

Yes, dual chargers were available with the original 60. I've charged at 80 amps many times and it is glorious.
Having a Nema 14-50 on a 50 amp circuit with the UMC1 charging at 40 amps was pretty nice too.
Really disappointed in Tesla downgrading the onboard chargers and UMCs so much, but I guess their philosophy is Supercharging or overnight. No in-between.

Reactions: GSP
Thanks. We like to stop every 3-4 hours so that's probably ~200-240 miles. Looks like with the MR, a charge to 200 miles would be my "decent" charge vs time rate.

Plug your trip into A Better Routeplanner

You’ll find that stopping every 2 hours and charging for 20 minutes is quite a bit faster than stopping every 4 hours and charging for 60 minutes. Of course, longer breaks are fine if you want to have a longer meal or go shopping, but for charging-only stops, shorter, more frequent sessions are the way to go.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Rocky_H

I'd say you answered it:

"A lot of modern HW, especially HW controlled by SW, tells the software what it's capable of."
Automobile Mag: Quick Drive: Tesla Model 3 Performance AWD

You just get the same HW part, software "adapts" it.

Less complexity for the manufacturer + they can sell "upgrades" which are already built into the car.

Drive Units: Possibly a Performance Model available as an upgrade?

This appears to be true in the case of the rear drive units in the parts catalog.....even though we know the performance version of the mosfets in the P version are hand picked.

We know no such thing.

That's a guess one dude on here made, and a lot of people repeated.

In the actual real world however the parts catalog proves the P has exactly the same drive units as the non-P LR AWD car does.... (the MR car on the other hand DOES have a different DU- presumably the one the SR will also get)

They have the same PN because there's no actual difference in the MOSFETS.

If there were they wouldn't have the same PN for exactly the reason you describe.

When the new DU goes in, the car operates it based on the software in the car- so a P owner gets the quicker 0-60 despite the HW being identical.

I am probably in the minority here, maybe even the only Tesla owner who charges at 120V 12 amps which gives me 5 MPH.

After a month of owning my MR3 I remember freaking out that first week about not having a charge-ready garage, then slowly I told myself "lets give it a month". Well, after a month I am now telling myself "lets give it another month".

For reference I average 65-70 miles per day to work and back. Since I came from a '04 [slow] Honda that I babied' (didn't speed) -- I drive my MR3 a bit "spirited" with a grin on my face :D. In fact just this morning I looked at the screen and it said 100 MPH :eek: so I slowed down to 90 ;)

I charge to 90% - if I get there during the week...if not then that's what the weekend is for.

I am sure eventually I will get the electrician out and install a 240V outlet. But I just want to say IT CAN BE DONE @ 120V I am proof!

Reactions: GSP and brkaus
But I just want to say IT CAN BE DONE @ 120V I am proof!

Says the poster from flat-warm-Florida :)

In the land-of-cold, the 120V charging rate drops to 0 or nearly 0 mi/hr, with most of the energy going to trying to get the battery warm. That 66 mile commute also costs you more like 85miles of real range since the heat is running.

• Funny
Reactions: Gator Rican and GSP
Says the poster from flat-warm-Florida :)

In the land-of-cold, the 120V charging rate drops to 0 or nearly 0 mi/hr, with most of the energy going to trying to get the battery warm. That 66 mile commute also costs you more like 85miles of real range since the heat is running.
Of course, in a closed garage this was less of a problem. This is common with apartment dwellers for example.

here's my MR charging at Supercharger:

IMG_8360.jpg

We have a single Nema 14-50 in the garage and two cars to charge.
MR charging at 32a gets 29 miles per hour of charge
P85 charging at 40a gets 29 miles per hour of charge

i have never had a problem with charging at home with either, and regardless of how much i drive, they're always charged in the am. I do have to move the plug once the first is charged and put the charged car on a 120v to remain plugged in, usually around 9-9:30PM.

then again, we don't use nearly 300 miles of range daily so the 250-260 mile range is more than enough for us. we road trip across superchargers to see the kids at school in the P85, so there is no reason the MR won't do for that.

we considered a HPWC but I don't see where there's really any benefit to us in having one. other than they look cool.

We have a single Nema 14-50 in the garage and two cars to charge.
MR charging at 32a gets 29 miles per hour of charge
P85 charging at 40a gets 29 miles per hour of charge

i have never had a problem with charging at home with either, and regardless of how much i drive, they're always charged in the am. I do have to move the plug once the first is charged and put the charged car on a 120v to remain plugged in, usually around 9-9:30PM.

then again, we don't use nearly 300 miles of range daily so the 250-260 mile range is more than enough for us. we road trip across superchargers to see the kids at school in the P85, so there is no reason the MR won't do for that.

we considered a HPWC but I don't see where there's really any benefit to us in having one. other than they look cool.
If you got two Wall Connectors you could wire them to the same 50 amp circuit and plug in both cars at the same time. They would just charge simultaneously and slower instead of faster and sequentially. The benefit is that you don't have to go out and move the cable to the other car.

Reactions: GSP and Olds442
If you got two Wall Connectors you could wire them to the same 50 amp circuit and plug in both cars at the same time. They would just charge simultaneously and slower instead of faster and sequentially. The benefit is that you don't have to go out and move the cable to the other car.
Thank you, but $1,000.00 in parts plus my electrician to install it brings the price to around fuggit. I appreciate the thought and post though, my electrician told me the same thing. I asked him to bring over a couple $200 HPWC's and have at it, he laughed.

Reactions: Rocky_H and GSP
I am probably in the minority here, maybe even the only Tesla owner who charges at 120V 12 amps which gives me 5 MPH.

After a month of owning my MR3 I remember freaking out that first week about not having a charge-ready garage, then slowly I told myself "lets give it a month". Well, after a month I am now telling myself "lets give it another month".

For reference I average 65-70 miles per day to work and back. Since I came from a '04 [slow] Honda that I babied' (didn't speed) -- I drive my MR3 a bit "spirited" with a grin on my face :D. In fact just this morning I looked at the screen and it said 100 MPH :eek: so I slowed down to 90 ;)

I charge to 90% - if I get there during the week...if not then that's what the weekend is for.

I am sure eventually I will get the electrician out and install a 240V outlet. But I just want to say IT CAN BE DONE @ 120V I am proof!

I'm on a 120V now too, I am waiting for my HPWC referral reward and we are anticipating a new house soon so I don't want to pay the installation costs until we move. I drive 120 miles x 5 days a week and I generally do ok if I supplement with the level 2 at work. Unfortunately the bitter cold this week caused me to Supercharge because I was getting 0 miles/hour when it was close to 0F. 120V can be done but it does require a little more planning and projecting your driving and charge needs.

Reactions: eprosenx