Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mud flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are the front mudflaps that are attached to the liner loose with some movement, given the liner is not itself firmly attached to the wheel arch. If so then are there potential issues with paint rub from the flaps?
There are two attachment points via push in studs at the bottom and you need to add a third at the top into the liner. I guess there will be some movement and paint rub, but I'm not particularly concerned. If you drill the hole in the right place, it seems pretty secure.

So following weeks of indecision I finally fitted the mudflaps to the M3. I was concerned that the attachment of the front flap to the liner would be insecure and would cause some paint rub. I now think I was worrying too much.

The rear flaps fit very securely. Really very good, it will be interesting to see if the rear camera functions better now, as all I have seen in the rain before now is spray from the rear wheels.

The front flaps have some play at the top but not much. To get some comparison I went to examine the OEM flaps on darling wife's Skoda. They are certainly not fitted any more securely than on the M3. There is plenty of plastinc rubbing against paint, but with no obvious sign of paint rubbing after 5 years. Hopefully the same will be true of the M3 paint in years to come.

The flaps generally seem to be very well designed, with drainage channels to match the drainange design on the car (like the previously mentioned draineage hole).

When fitting the passenger side front flap I drilled the pilot hole at a slight angle toward the car instead of at 90 degrees to the wheel liner. The result was a better fit. The liner is pressed firmly against the body panel where on the driver side there is a few mm gap, hence the play, perhaps there is a difference in the liners each side.

• Helpful
Reactions: Roy W. and CMc1
When fitting the passenger side front flap I drilled the pilot hole at a slight angle toward the car instead of at 90 degrees to the wheel liner. The result was a better fit. The liner is pressed firmly against the body panel where on the driver side there is a few mm gap, hence the play, perhaps there is a difference in the liners each side.
Yes, I did the same.

I was looking over my car on Wednesday with a view to buying some mud flaps after seeing at the install pictures. I discovered that I didn't have any fixings on the drivers side, but did on the passengers side. On further investigation the plastic door sill cover is completely missing !!

Fortunately it was going into the MK service centre the next day for some minor paint and trim defects so they are now sorting this too.

Anyone who’s installed mud flaps can you post a few pics please.

Would be good to see how they look fitted.
Central Florida car.
20191010_105426.jpg
20191010_105451.jpg
I put some clear protective tape on paint under flaps so they would be not in contact with paint. Instead of screw on front flaps I did use a clip (US $1.29 24% OFF|50 pcs 6mm 8mm 자동 범퍼 패스너 6mm 구멍 리벳 리테이너 푸시 엔진 커버 자동차 도어 트림 패널 클립 패스너 도요타에 대 한-에서자동 잠금장치 & 클립부터 자동차 및 오토바이 의 AliExpress - 11.11_더블 11싱글즈 데이)

Reactions: elecTED
So following weeks of indecision I finally fitted the mudflaps to the M3. I was concerned that the attachment of the front flap to the liner would be insecure and would cause some paint rub. I now think I was worrying too much.

Received mine today. They are very thick plastic. Some slight give but certainly not rubbery as I was expecting. No chance of bending like in the picture. Wonder if they have changed the material, but this is the current product spec that I ordered so no mention of it. I think I will be returning them unless its a perfect fit and no chance of rubbing.

mud flap.jpg

Has anyone ordered the body coloured versions that have popped up on Amazon?

My hopes for an exact match aren’t high but for around £15 delivered I thought it was worth the gamble so I put in an order. Delivery times are around a month, so I’ll update once they arrive.

Reactions: Roy W.
Has anyone ordered the body coloured versions that have popped up on Amazon?

My hopes for an exact match aren’t high but for around £15 delivered I thought it was worth the gamble so I put in an order. Delivery times are around a month, so I’ll update once they arrive.
Flap's material is not suitable for paint. It will crack soon. I installed black ones and they look good on white car. And I did use a clear paint protection tape under.

Are the front mudflaps that are attached to the liner loose with some movement, given the liner is not itself firmly attached to the wheel arch. If so then are there potential issues with paint rub from the flaps?

I've had the mud flaps on and even after a 1700+ mile trip they are secure. I was concerned with the top section only be secured to the liner but it has not been an issue. I also live on dirt roads and the mud spray on the side of the car is definitely reduced.

Reactions: Roy W.