Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mud flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received my RED mudflaps. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WHBVBV4/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_3p_dp_1
They look well designed but DO NOT BUY THE RED ONES! I expected a paint match to Tesla's one and only red colour but the flaps were more a scarlet colour and looked awful agaimnst my red M3. SO i will be respraying matt black before I fit them.

I would bring that up with seller. They may offer you a partial refund.

More importantly though, as I had spotted these in black. How flexible/elasticated are they? I previously received some mud flaps which were described as being highly flexible with an image of them being twisted. I see these ones also have a similar image and wonder if they are any different in terms of construction and flexibility - I have a very real concern regarding speed humps - we have a couple of particularly vicious ones where we live. As far as I can see, most mud flaps are identical no matter where you buy them from. However, there does appear to be two different types of material, one more flexible than the other, but it is very difficult to see what is what when many of the descriptions show images/descriptions of the flap being twisted/flexible when the reality (at least as far as mine were concerned) may be quite different.

More importantly though, as I had spotted these in black. How flexible/elasticated are they? I previously received some mud flaps which were described as being highly flexible with an image of them being twisted. I see these ones also have a similar image and wonder if they are any different in terms of construction and flexibility - I have a very real concern regarding speed humps - we have a couple of particularly vicious ones where we live. As far as I can see, most mud flaps are identical no matter where you buy them from. However, there does appear to be two different types of material, one more flexible than the other, but it is very difficult to see what is what when many of the descriptions show images/descriptions of the flap being twisted/flexible when the reality (at least as far as mine were concerned) may be quite different.
I guess the coloured ones will be of the less flexible variety if they are painted otherwise the paint would be likely to crack in that serious twist thing you see in some of the sellers pictures.

They are fairly rigid... not rubbery at all.

Reactions: MrBadger
Thanks to the recommendations here I went with the...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Womdee-Fen...tesla+model+3+mudguards&qid=1572828062&sr=8-4

Pretty easy to fit. But I did hope to get away with some double sided gorilla tape instead of drilling the front flaps.

This didn't do it for me - not the most secure fit and I felt I really had to drill the holes in the liner and put the screws in to get them close.

Just in case that puts anyone off.

They look good i reckon and will hopefully help with chips and spray though - so go for it I reckon.

• Informative
Reactions: G1201 and Roy W.
Thanks to the recommendations here I went with the...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Womdee-Fen...tesla+model+3+mudguards&qid=1572828062&sr=8-4

Pretty easy to fit. But I did hope to get away with some double sided gorilla tape instead of drilling the front flaps.

This didn't do it for me - not the most secure fit and I felt I really had to drill the holes in the liner and put the screws in to get them close.

Just in case that puts anyone off.

They look good i reckon and will hopefully help with chips and spray though - so go for it I reckon.

Have you been over any speed bumps since fitting these? Do they bend if you catch them?

Here’s a photo of my mud flaps in action! I think it shows they’re worthwhile.

234B0A79-19F0-4843-986C-9845ADF49453.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s a bit crazy having to retrofit mud flaps on such an aerodynamically designed car to provide additional paint protection. Mud flaps are for rally cars, jeeps, 4x4s and vehicles that sit high off the ground and go through muddy puddles and off-road muck. They do give a slightly old fashioned look to new and modern cars.

I was looking out for mud flaps on a drive the other day. I don’t think I saw any on the cars I passed by. If none of the other cars need them then why do Tesla’s I thought to myself. Has anyone seen mud flaps on any high-end/luxury car?

Saying that my 12 year old Audi A3 has mud flaps and I don’t think I even realised until people starting to talk about it on this forum.

I can see the protection mud flaps provide though on the M3. Surely it’s better Tesla address the paint issue, at least on the new cars they are building now, rather than dish out mud flaps or people having to experiment and fit their own.

Both my last two cars had subtle "mud flaps". I only realised the i3 had them when I was cleaning it before I sold it yesterday - they are just small bits that project down to protect the sills. If you don't look closely you'd not really spot them. The Prius has something similar, just bits of the plastic underbody/wheel arch mouldings that project down to catch stuff coming off the wheels.

It probably doesn't need much to keep the high-velocity grit, etc, from hitting the body work. Maybe one of the after market accessory suppliers can come up with some subtle debris deflectors that fit easily and don't look as obvious as the larger mudflaps.

Reactions: Adopado