Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cars are like people. Lean and slender is desirable over fat and top-heavy. Humans have desirable aesthetic cues, and so do cars. I refuse to believe we like cars because we're conditioned to. Sports cars for ages have been considered the best-looking cars, and where do many sports cars have their engines? That's right, not the front. Yet they still have long and lean hoods because it's sexy.

Check out the golden ratio. It's present all over and people have done studies that confirm stuff with the golden ratio is more aesthetically appealing from people to architecture to cars to even logos for car-makers. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think Model 3 is ugly by any stretch of the imagination, but where a Model S is a supermodel, Model 3 is that chick with huge knockers and a pancake ass. Or thunder thighs. Or a spare tire. Still good-looking, but something doesn't seem quite right.

A perfect example of the Golden Ratio ... and I still have the Model 3 on order :cool:
Images from the MyTesla order page:

Capture.JPG

I mean, possibly when we're in a WALL-E future where everybody is fat our perceptions of "sexy" will have changed and that might carry over to cars, but I don't see that happening for a while.

The most popular vehicles in the US right now, besides trucks, are the Nissan Rogue and the Honda CRV. Maybe fat has become the new sexy after all...

• Funny
Reactions: GregRF
The most popular vehicles in the US right now, besides trucks, are the Nissan Rogue and the Honda CRV. Maybe fat has become the new sexy after all...
Source?
This lists the following:

1. Ford F-Series: 820,799 truck
2. Chevrolet Silverado: 574,876 truck
3. RAM Trucks: 489,418 truck
4. Toyota Camry: 388,616 sedan
5. Honda Civic: 366,927 sedan
6. Toyota Corolla: 360,483 sedan
7. Honda CR-V: 357,335 cuv
8. Toyota RAV4: 352,139 cuv
9. Honda Accord: 345,22 sedan
10. Nissan Rogue: 329,904 cuv

Reactions: Laban
Source?
This lists the following:

1. Ford F-Series: 820,799 truck
2. Chevrolet Silverado: 574,876 truck
3. RAM Trucks: 489,418 truck
4. Toyota Camry: 388,616 sedan
5. Honda Civic: 366,927 sedan
6. Toyota Corolla: 360,483 sedan

And the global sales:

1. Toyota Corolla: 1 020 000 sedan
2. Hyundai Elantra: 1 010 000 sedan

It's funny that so many still seem to believe that Tesla did a mistake by going for a standard (trunk) sedan.

And the global sales:

It's funny that so many still seem to believe that Tesla did a mistake by going for a standard (trunk) sedan.

The comparison is not how well sedans sell, but how well a hatchback could have sold in comparison to only sedan. Both Toyota and Hyundai offer hatchback and station wagon versions of Corolla and Elantra in addition to the sedan. Tesla is not expected to have an alternative to the sedan on market (within the price-range) in several years.

Had Model 3 been a sporty hatchback like Model S, it could have covered a wider swath of the market in one single model of the car - it would have been sedanish enough for markets that dislike hatchbacks/station wagons, while offering the practicality of a hatchback for those markets that do expect that.

I'm not sure I would call it a mistake necessarily. I do call it unfortunate. Model 3 could have been a better car than it seems to be turning out as.

A sporty hatchback like Model S is the perfect compromise between a sedan and a station wagon, if only one of the three alternatives can be offered. Model S nailed it perfectly.

Is the family sedan an endangered species?
And the global sales:

Probably because this is happening. Will I buy a 3 yes, but it will be the first sedan I've owned in a long long time.

SLUMPING SEDAN SALES SIGNALING THE DEATH OF AN AMERICAN STAPLE
Is the family sedan an endangered species?

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Status
Not open for further replies.