Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with the vents. I like how they look, but the main issue will be performance. I actually like directing vents to blow air into my face, especially when it's hot. If the vents can't do that, then that might actually be a deal breaker for me. I can't wait until test drives are available.

Frankly, Jaguar having such vents in their concept car (though they may change for production) actually suggests they are adjustable (moving that middle part of the narrow vent?). I have a hard time believing an established car company making non-adjustable vents with all the market data and history they have. So certainly it seems plausible to me that the Model 3 vents most likely are adjustable.

Whether or not that adjustability compares to the usual car - after all Model 3 places the vents further back in the dash than a Model S/X or the I-Pace concept - we shall see. There is also one major difference to I-Pace: latter has bigger, more adjustable-looking central vents in the front, that could make a lot of difference, which Model 3 does not have.

But (even with the looming Model X five-seater AC fiasco) I am so far willing to give Tesla the benefit of the doubt here. I'm hopeful the vents will work fine for most people. It would be such a massive thing to get wrong if they don't.

You would cancel your order for the most ground breaking car since probably the Ford Model T because the vents don't blow in your face? After the interior temperature of the car comes down or up to a level you are comfortable with you won't even notice. To each his own I guess...

Personally I'm wary of dismissing people's concerns. We all have our own breaking points and it feels kind of uncool to tell other people what they will or will not notice. After all, it is a known fact (that's why they sell fans) that moving air away from your skin lessens the perceived temperature. Some dislike this sensation on their faces, others prefer it - very subjective. Just because we don't care about some thing, doesn't mean others won't.

Pre-cooling can certainly be offered as an option - it is certainly being discussed in Model X five-seater threads where there are concerns about second row and trunk cooling (A/C Effectiveness in 5-seat configuration - Predictions?) - but it will be up to individuals to see if that works for them or not. After all, with all that big glass in the Tesla fashion, people will be sitting exposed to sun and no amount of pre-cooling helps when that happens on the road...

Also, reasonably, one shouldn't have to pre-cool their premium car to get it comfortable in some reasonable time. Having an efficient AC is not really an unreasonable requirement these days.

One exception: It is very cool to tell people one thing: You won't care. That's always cool. :) But it has to be literally those words, anything more and it becomes uncool.

But anyway, I am so far willing to give Tesla's vent design the benefit of the doubt. I will believe it will work, until there is reason to believe otherwise. Given all the other missteps of Tesla, that may be very stupid of me, though. :) But I believe what I believe.

Remote control of temperature will have it whatever temperature you want before jumping in.
Thats right. But what decides on if I want the airflow in my face (or other body parts) or not depends on MY temperature more then the temperature inside the car. Eg: if I'm coming from an outside temperature of -20°C and sit down in the car, I may want to direct hot air on my body to get up to the interior temperature of the car as fast as possible. Or if I'm sitting down sweating after a workout, I want to chill my body down as fast as possible. When I do not need to adjust my body temperature, I do NOT want any airflow at my body, but may want it on the side window or in between the front seats. Tell me when I can get an remote control on my body temperature ;)

You would cancel your order for the most ground breaking car since probably the Ford Model T because the vents don't blow in your face?
For TM3 to be "the most ground breaking car since probably the Ford Model T" it will have to actually sell cars. If enough people decides to not buy based on small things like this (or no IC or no liftback+++ - or any combinations of this small tings) it will not be "the most ground breaking car since probably the Ford Model T".

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
For TM3 to be "the most ground breaking car since probably the Ford Model T" it will have to actually sell cars. If enough people decides to not buy based on small things like this (or no IC or no liftback+++ - or any combinations of this small tings) it will not be "the most ground breaking car since probably the Ford Model T".
If it manages to not sell a single unit after having 400k reservations I think it will definitely be "the most ground breaking car", maybe for different reasons that you would expect though :p

• Funny
Reactions: Model 3
If it manages to not sell a single unit after having 400k reservations
Hehe ;) Of course it will sell some cars, no doubt. But it will be two different things if it will sell - as Elon has said it would - 1 million cars/year in about 2020, or if it sells like Model S or X do today. It is a good looking long range BEV with what seams to be ample interior room and probably more performance then you need and a good low-cost charging network. So as I see it, the only thing that could destroy this dream of Elon is "small things" like this.

I was for a while thinking about getting the Ampera-E (Bolt) instead of Model 3, but after sitting in it for a few minutes I dropped that idea for two "small things" like this: the massive hard plastic interior and no lumbar support in the seats.

Spotted Model 3 Testing at Fremont Factory • r/teslamotors

2017-04-30 07_21_10-1Zag87O.jpg (JPEG-Grafik, 3024 × 4032 Pixel) - Skaliert (22%).png
2017-04-30 07_22_11-mqY97wr.jpg (JPEG-Grafik, 747 × 1023 Pixel).png

How often do you clean cameras when you are sitting in a taxi?
how many times do you see dirty taxis on the road? most of them likely are washed much more often than most cars.
just because a car can drive autonomously does not mean it doesn't need some human interaction (is an autonomous carwash bay complete with the ability to vacuum, dust and collect trash left in the car going to come with each car sold?)

how many times do you see dirty taxis on the road? most of them likely are washed much more often than most cars.
just because a car can drive autonomously does not mean it doesn't need some human interaction (is an autonomous carwash bay complete with the ability to vacuum, dust and collect trash left in the car going to come with each car sold?)

1) It was joke referring to Elon Musk saying features are not needed in Model 3 because they are not needed when sitting in a taxi either. :)

2) Camera cleanliness is a genuine concern for autonomous driving, especially one without 360 radard and LIDAR... much more important than car cleanliness in general. No?

Is this really what the model 3 looks like now?

As a Tesla fan this makes me feel sick to my stomach. It seems to be getting uglier and uglier with each iteration.

This used to be a super sexy car.

I don't think anything has changed much that you would notice if the RC would be photographed from this exact same angle. The reveal car you posted looks the way it does because of the angle, and because the camera was close to the car. You see the parallax effect on the rear of the car, which makes it look shorter, and more sporty and sexy.

Aside from the duck nose smoothed out, there doesn't appear to be any other significant changes.

I understand what you are feeling , but I see 2 things
One that black car at the plant being tested is a base model with the smallest wheels
Has a big effect on overall looks
And two , yes the shape has changed a bit both front and rear but damn, for a sedan the 3 in its current form is one of the best looking cars in its category ever in my opinion.

Reactions: voltage
Status
Not open for further replies.