Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the features that I loved about the Model S I bought 3 1/2 years ago was the simplicity of the interior. The Model 3 interior design takes that to a higher level. Yes, "higher" as in "better". If you saw my house you would understand why I like minimalism.

I see, so you're the guy with the cardboard box at the 92 off-ramp on the 280?
I slipped you a $5 the other day, before I knew your minimalism stand... :)
RT

People who live in cardboard boxes don't normally own 2 Teslas / Tesla Solar Panels / and a powerwall.

Don't judge a book by it's cover ... ecarfan probably lives in the iconic minimalist Flintstone house on hwy 280 :cool:
Flintstones House | Zillow

upload_2017-5-2_20-18-57.png

• Funny
Reactions: cdub
We can only speculate and place our bets now, but for sure I am extremely interested in a thorough, unbiased review.
An unbiased review is unlikely to surface. I've never read a car review that's not biased in some way. The thing you should be looking forward to is seeing the car in its entirety and making up your own mind about if it's good for you. Because you're the one who can choose to buy it or move on.

My experience owning Tesla vehicles and reading the reviews is that they rarely offer any valuable insight about the vehicle. More often than not, I find errors or omissions in the review on both the good and bad side.

The only argument that can be made for something physical is the vents. They need to enable the user to adjust vent direction because well... blowing air is a physical phenomena. Will the lack of this stop me from loving my Model 3? No but for some this is an important feature.

Maybe there are deflector fins inside the slot vent and you control them via the touch screen. :)

Last time I checked the Model S screens face only the driver and no one else in the car.

You can't know this without the full software suite with well trained networks which isn't even out yet. It only has to be 2-10 times better than a human to be safer on average.

The only thing the future hardware might get you is more sensitive cameras that can see even better in low light, higher resolution, and as a side effect of that higher resolution you're going to need faster computing just to keep up with the excess data which is useless data anyway as objects don't really require a high resolution for identification.

Well. Aside from Musk literally just saying it won't happen for two years. And with the awareness that Musk has always over promised on timelines and missed on deadlines.

Last edited:
Some of these interior photos are rather misleading in real life, though. We rarely see a cars interior like that. Not only do we focus on a smaller segment at a time, most of us see them from the driver's seat or the front passenger's seat and from much closer. The photos are also 2D, where reality is 3D.

I can see in some of these photos what people mean "yeah that's a mess", yet having sat in those actual cars, I would never consider them a mess then. But squeeze it all in with a wide lense to an Internet forum image and, sure, it can seem like there's a lot of stuff there.

Also, sensibilities vary. There was an interesting study some ways back about the cultural differences between westeners and East Asians, the former being more interested in big picture and the latter about the details. This was said to be one reason why e.g. Japanese appreciate the minute details and small artifacts in art and building.

You can see how a person focusing on details might view car interiors quite differently compared to someone taking naturally a wider view.

Reactions: ikjadoon

Sonny Daze
said:
The complaints about current interiors are that they're too busy with buttons and vents and tiny screens (obvious from photos). The complaints about the 3 are lack of binnacle, floating touch pad, minimalist design (obvious from all available information, not going to change). Even if it has fabulous materials (which it won't because Elon says it's no S) and a little surprise, they will not alleviate those issues for people that have them.

Wanna change your name to cloudy daze?

I like better Lazy Daze.

LDfrontlogo.jpg

Every physical knob, switch, vent control, analog gauge, gear shift, yadda, yadda, yadda in a car cannot be modified. It does what it does. Sure, you can put some software behind it, but it is still a physical mechanism that cannot be changed. [...]

Tesla is designing the Model 3 interior to be as "future proof" as possible. How? By making everything that can be software controlled, software controlled. Whatever function(s) can be controlled by the touch screen can be modified as nauseum over time as required. Thats what Tesla does, for better or worse. [...]

It's all just software. It can do whatever you want it to do.
Note: highlight mine.

The question I haven't asked yet: what if there is a firmware iteration that you as a customer really are happy with, and then Tesla rolls out a new firmware iteration that completely changes the layout you were happy with?
Could you keep the version that you prefer or do you have to always apply the latest firmware, even if it means that you might end up with something that, to you, is worse than what you had before?

I mean that's a real concern of mine. If I am comfortable with something, especially the user interface of an appliance I have to use on a daily basis, I don't want it to change or as you put it "be modified ad nauseum".

Sometimes, things that cannot be modified are preferable. Sure, not everything needs to always stay the same, but say you have found a user interface layout to your liking, why the need to change it? Especially in a car, which many people buy and configure exactly to their liking and want it to stay that way. A car isn't a smartphone after all, and even with smartphones, not everyone wants to change the way it is operated on a regular basis. Change can be good, but it can also be a bloody nuisance!

I was looking through all the Model 3 pictures on Google Photos and realized that the wood we saw in the RC car few days ago was also present in the matt black car we saw last year at the reveal. Maybe everyone here already knows that but I thought the wood was a change from the interior we saw in the alpha cars.

RC:
zOD_-6J5D-5RGap4cFmXu2Vzs3_CYq1z_wXDmxlXJTfX_G1LXHrPY7oPDBat3aFKuoGZn_lv5UuZ1T_ESkB1bbVAlBqo7tSoifJYcOhF0EyYLEABNk23yyE8zcTKmodxj8nsWCCzFyV3iy5UJtYWhWMfTwxpii41sxANNzXJrMtxWPXNqLDcd95xuhvr9XDVEFhbDycrgCI9w3rfko4DWZIzgvzxpfzz2_eCNAqC_L0o-n8Z9hGIYuTHgHMVL3FmMhAKiqw_mAi_UWKSH3EIYg18s_HMM-vzgwEFfpgYIjB2MDutvBlYO0qGxyvwrCeQjVU1itPUfHGLd2LMFQF0DXvy8A3v-2aYv0XF63pj2mz2kxr_FX8ba5ohFY2TcDJOMATIE2eEusn0eMDzuI8bRlxlVhOwvucA8oEEF1GSDyEbX-w9LGJQGK0odf3p6WrSITHG-Mz_32CMSt2jSriHROeYQR2zQ9E3rKKpIscoGfLG7h73Tr9ATTMd-3fKyFeF0TGWJ83Wuicmdl2OZwitUEg0VvS576b5bKkV4ZN7gOB2bDVmf96K_TTWyYM-2UC4e01mlNbDZHzW1j1hn4oYMMDoSc0Sq6gnzzygsRnSWIUMyWPicViJXXd7wqP6rO145aLTh_FDeFRf1kf9kibmARkVOMRhITuMGPloZGpiqsc=w963-h547-no

Alpha:
bghpfM3sCjvAo6HoxlWZZkS6rljtlzbhfroxTkAOMP4oRUHvH6l_zfQO0tzOzaBJUZBnI1IlIHPfzeyWyLzhsNg_23bibA5HVPswVWSumiIQfjfzLJv6iqAOUQ0b7-KCGccfz1DBTA3fDhom8DosbFtsBekKG-deha1LL2CBEHw0W7pmWAzl8jHHMCo2xPp9gCwgG--dyrzyLea1fkCYIFDMSVQvchUv6qJ1ueqQoByJLvnHV1FAehfJM1uvQfiA-wxWLxxGHABAbaKAyL40ZqltypRDGG2I_zMvNbPa_CQlrTd3SDUKMV67MQklao4amOtBJFJ_QikLRXmkZzlNHDQ0MaIzL1XAwSB1UTM8tP3_LDqOL4Oqh7JSFOi8BVuJLvoShmgaP5DVYHV_ZkFwX6Ss_XuaHG_I3XQ-yCrOnDfoMgBy_Bz04ybCKLkk3zHeaUc_TpcuvtQu5PJgtSlhJFe8W27yIchnjJ2FqjkoEvn84I28UmRTcQK_fQh2EfrawJJB-vX3WaC-BGAYfSsbGfVubDiWOGoKEBNJT-TkMWT4I5Cf5lQ2ilwkqbVF9tbFfyYUQUxs9mZ-HFE_xAc3wo3yOA6OCTvIGNBbOWTO9q2gpAS6qtTHi46I_gzyJVVkVOGfhMQ-XERbkJMGJeie24gADye_ns5OJtxq9Aq6_bo=w1280-h957-no

aVBPipoOjqznJnZBCjwNQJ7tX-vKafe6Zce3qw_4pvo19aGbkg8igZ7qE1j31Fk44Kmyt1Esh8vOkXsenH6DHyDSESdxXAEiqosZ1qDqa6LjumiPc7kWw9zeI5B9O24OC93SDOcPgBqdHb7MkSBkxOGiAnXgSnN2PGKepu0toqJheHZS1zQ1KvaH3rE8eWA36JobT5XKEc_WdpMcVcbniLQrQLM1QRZFl9acsXxoANrA0688TkY1_JbyEu_m3IYDuEiokqICtEAiKHKR9dr73G1gQGQemP-5qcDCtuTefxSB1iZOOc4vVdUlVfwBSL6Q1yOvXm3G_dU6AIyFLS4WGqfsWeYhDjWdKiNGnQZdNIL-843pmvlMxKr5e9UE7XU5cg6RPXLjXBgH8qCxOdlOkH3gBlPoicJK8RSALqn65BRttatRg4YNyf7DPsVwN1zAUiApAz-kBWsuIfhJ_IKuwchxKsv_r8SAgcdSxI2LSSiGSX7peC4wuEpYBwYIM-fuZE36ZhQZ1p-LLM4Qgcb1BQFv5U2pcfjiqT395MAzlRYMr7OpN_p06tDc_JGL2l0Gh6TP3NF_UpCF7cAT3WwCKTCt31d3Enoo6j3CMxltQG8Nt7wLfEfgzmOD4lOypaCqXzXgXZ1hDdoeR-ER6BGS3k38Nc8dO8Ay6PgJROEqBE0=w1280-h1712-no

I never saw these exact pics... Horizontal screen looks huge in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.