Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 not recommended and also highest owner satisfaction from Consumer Reports

Model 3 Owners - Would you recommend your car?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
Model 3 is not recommended due to reliability concerns by owners, yet is the most satisfying car to all owners.

Consumer Reports reverses itself again, no longer recommends Tesla Model 3

Tesla's Model 3 was named the most satisfying car by Consumer Reports

--

This just tells me the Model 3 is very hot, yet also very crazy. I do a lot of economic analysis but at the end of the day most decisions boil down to:

Does the HOT outweigh the CRAZY?

So Consumer reports doesn't recommend the car because they wouldn't recognize a prime Liz Hurley or a prime David Beckham twerking right in front of them because they are blind, need click-bait controversy, dumb or all of the above.

What say you fellow TMC'ers?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend my Model 3 to prospective owners but I would not highly recommend it due to a number of issues I've had and Tesla's complete *sugar* show of a service department.

Our Model X needs to have charging port insulators replaced and the appointment time for my preferred SC was one month out. That is a long time to have a car looked at, but since it was not critical, I did not press the issue.

Any OTHER car I could find someone same or next day to take a look at it, but every other car is nowhere near as fun.

The true barometer I think comes down to, do people keep buying the cars?

If Model 3s keep on selling, and selling around the world that basically says Consumer Reports should be eating *sugar* sandwiches as no one is listening to their recommendations?

Funny question - I love my Model 3 but I would not always recommend it. It is great for me and how I use it, but when I have talked to people about what they plan to do with their car I often say it might not be for them.

For instance if I didn't live in place that rarely has truly cold weather I would be less likely to recommend a Mod 3 as even during moderate winter day (around freezing) I see a dramatic decrease in range and lots of other winter issues present itself.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and Big City
I often say it might not be for them.

Do they listen? This is for cases if they were close and capable of buying one?

Friend: "I'm going to go buy one today!"
You: "Ummmm its not really going to be for you."
Friend: "Ok, thanks for advice. I won't buy it and thank you for having integrity and not whoring out your ref code just so you can get a photo launched into space".

...blind, need click-bait controversy, dumb or all of the above.

It clearly said that despite some imperfections, owners still love their Model 3 and are very satisfied.

Tesla has been pushing the envelope to see how much cult members would tolerate: from selling non-existing features like Self Driving, partially working features like Autopilot to paint, trim, glass defects...

TMC member's January 2019 Model 3 cracked roof glass (above front seats) NOT covered by Tesla:

img_01-jpg.375371

Yes, cult members would still love Tesla but it's good to have a clear and objective mind from Consumer Reports instead of all cult members.

It clearly said that despite some imperfections, owners still love their Model 3 and are very satisfied.

Tesla has been pushing the envelope to see how much cult members would tolerate: from selling non-existing features like Self Driving, partially working features like Autopilot to paint, trim, glass defects...

TMC member's January 2019 Model 3 cracked roof glass (above front seats) NOT covered by Tesla:

img_01-jpg.375371

Yes, cult members would still love Tesla but it's good to have a clear and objective mind from Consumer Reports instead of all cult members.

I think the Tesla cult suffered a fatal wound with the introduction of the Model 3 and with the MR the cult is now on its deathbed.

SR comes along and sells a million units and you won't see too much cultish fawning over it, it's going to get just as much flak as other automakers get when they put out shoddy work.

We really love our Tesla, one of the top 3 or 4 cars I've ever owned. However, when talking to people about it, after totally gushing about how great the car is, I always add that it's not very reliable at all. It's the least reliable car I've owned since I was driving used Alfas, but I bought a second Alfa after the first was totaled, and it was no more reliable than the first.

It's very possible to be highly satisfied while knowing full well that a vehicle is unreliable, reliability isn't everything.

Telling people great things about your Tesla is like writing a raving review on a restaurant you love.

Restaurant:
More people will go to your restaurant = longer wait time
Busy restaurant = owner open up other restaurants and move the good waiter/chef over to the new ones to help them get started

Tesla:
Superchargers get more crowded
Service Center has no part, no appointments until months out, no Tesla loaner

So yeah, Tesla is awful, please don't buy one. ;)

I wouldn't recommend it from a reliability standpoint.

However, from a fun factor (acceleration/handling) or tech standpoint I will and do recommend it.

I've been mostly lucky (knock on wood), to have had only 1 major issue, and a few minor issues. I won't kid myself, or anyone else - I'm always worried that the car may have a not so easy to resolve problem pop up, and then I'll have to wait over a month for an appointment.

Still love the car though.

My P3D has been great, and since there are no issues yet Tesla service issues haven't impacted me much.

Only thing I had to do was have the tail light replaced (warranty item), and the turn signal module (warranty)

Both items a mobile ranger was sent out to handle while I worked.

For now I still recommend it to others. But it will depend on the reliability and service in the upcoming years.

However i am still not satisfied with the whole roll out of the model 3. The haphazard pricing. The incentives where one buyer will get and then suddenly the next month you don’t get it.

Reactions: APotatoGod
reliability /= satisfaction

Do you think anyone on the Honda Odyssey forum is getting bent out of shape because they were dinged for reliability despite having good customer satisfaction?

relax

The Honda Odyssey forums get less action than a Golden Girl. Not even remotely comparable. I was on Odyclub. I know. ;)

No one ever thinks their Tesla is a swiss watch but how do you NOT recommend something everyone loves in SPITE of its flaws.

"Tesla owners have spoken, Model 3 highly recommended despite concerns around reliability" would be a genuine headline and fair headline.

img_01-jpg.375371

I had the same crack and it was paid by Tesla for me. It's a stress crack and a known defect. My car is nearly a year old though.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam