Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Notchback Trunk - Deal-Killer?

If the Model 3 Is Notchback-only, Will you still buy?

• Yes. I'm all-in, and the cargo utility is a secondary concern

Votes: 267 65.6%
  • No. This is a big letdown. Hoping for Model S-style Liftback

Votes: 62 15.2%
  • Will probably wait for Model Y crossover variant

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • I still think Musk has a surprise up his sleeve. Might not be just a notchback

Votes: 55 13.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if the dimensions of the prototype are set in stone. With the notchback design I could seethe opening improved by knocking about 4 / 5 inches off the rear window by reducing both its length and reducing the radius of the curve on the bottom. Owing to its steep rake this might shorten the vertical distance by a couple inches but allow at least 3 more horizontal inches of opening. A big deal if you are setting down boxes into the trunk or manhandleing a bikes handle bars through the opening.

I feel the conversation here has been very US-centry (no worries about that - I know most people are from the US on this board). I feel many Europeans would much prefer a lift gate as this gets us into hatchback territory - a car shape very popular in Europe. I also feel that in Asia most likely an even more classic Sedan type of shape would likely to be a huge success.

Personally I would really have loved to have a lift gate and I'm hopeful that it will be an option once the car is released. I'm also sceptical about the glas roof: I love the open air feeling of it, but in my typical use case with kids in the back only I don't care for headroom a lot. Then cost of repairs / weight considerations trump the elegance of the glas roof.

I drive an Audi A4 right now - and here I can fit two racing bikes upright (front wheel taken out) next to each other with ease. I would have loved to being able to do that with the Model 3, too (nope, sadly the Model S is not an option for me since it simply will not fit through our 2 drive-ways - yes, I measured)

TLDR: I feel the Model 3 would gain a ton of everyday usability if it had a lift gate. I'm in Europe, so a Model S is too wide. I haul stuff and a truck is out of the question.

Last edited:
I feel the conversation here has been very US-centry (no worries about that - I know most people are from the US on this board). I feel many Europeans would much prefer a lift gate as this gets us into hatchback territory - a car shape very popular in Europe. I also feel that in Asia most likely an even more classic Sedan type of shape would likely to be a huge success.

Agree.

That is mainly because Europe and Asia people usually live in apartment and have only 1 car in each family. So we prefer the car to be all rounded and rooms for luggage is essential.

That solid piece of glass on the back looks nice, but I'd trade it for a metal roof and a liftgate. Also the head room in the back is not essential for me since this is going to be a car for one person. The good access to the cargo area is more important - second car or Model S is not an option unfortunately.

Reactions: PaulJB and Newb
As a European being used to hatchbacks and kombi cars I am very diapointed with this rather small and unclever boot opening. Especially given the fact that the cars body would lend itself very well for a hatchback opening. The glass roof is nice but it should not be form over function. Being able to put in a bike or other bulky item is worth a lot.
Furthermore i hope Tesla model 3 will offer some towing and roof rack options.
Finally i would prefer a driver speedometer etc in front of the stering wheel -current layout with only the 15 inch screen is too much of a compromise.
Otherwise i think this car is close to being perfect.
Well done Tesla.

I will likely let go of the reservation as wanted a lift back, especially with dogs, etc.

I'll keep my Model S and likely upgrade if the S improves.

Otherwise, there will be compelling competition in time, likely of higher quality even. Not a bad thing as this is part of Teslas mission and why they don't patent.

3 options dude: metal roof, all glass and all glass pano sunroof. Now what do you think? Plus we might get a CUV in reveal part 2. That'll cause a jump in reservations/sales. The notchback not a problem for me. I have a hatchback already. If Tesla offers a hatchback/CUV 3 then I'll buy/reserve that as well.
Are those options actually for the back? Because sun roof is certainly only a option for the middle glas part and not for the rear.

Dang, dude, you need a truck. JK. I'm impressed with what you're doing with the Volt. I, personally, would rather beat up an old truck with that stuff than a new $35K+ car.
I have read a lot of comments like this and just wanted to say that trucks really don't exist in Germany or Europe in general. They are not a thing. Companies usually have some kind of Van. Families usually a station wagon with/or maybe a trailer. SUVs are becoming more popular, but still not to the extent as in the US. So maybe this design will work great in the US, but when you can get a BMW 3-Series station wagon for less then it will be a easy choice for people who want to carry some larger items now and then. The Model S was really great because it also managed to get people to buy it who were looking at 5-Series, E-Class or A6 station wagon.

Last edited:
Just in case anyone has forgotten or never saw the MS prototype....

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Will this tiny trunk fit a baby car stroller?

Will the back middle seat fit a backwards baby car seat?

It may depend on the stroller. I'm hoping our city mini, which isn't that large, will fit.
Rear facing in the middle shouldn't be an issue, my wife's current car is an IS 250 and we have a center mounted car seat in there. Based on the reveal the model 3 second row looks more spacious than that.

Center is a little easier to fit in general because you have open space between the front seats.

To those saying a sedan liftback wasn't possible in this segment, Check out BMW 3 series Gran Turismo for instance:
image_68cacc82-81e5-4d7d-895d-6e0e21782bdb.arox

image_1848aff9-c032-4df0-9ae4-c99d5e5c9016.arox

Tesla could well offer two or three versions of the Model 3: 2-door, 4-door w glass roof and 5-door (as we say in Europe) with a liftgate. I talked to many people in Germany who reserved the 3 and they have strong hopes for a liftback version of the Model 3.

I have reserved a 3 and have no problem with the rear trunk access based on what I've seen so far. I have an S and at this point am planning for the 3 to replace the S.

I think the 3 rear trunk lid appears to offer adequate access based on how high the rear end of the car is. I don't plan to load huge objects into the rear: it is a midsize sedan, not an SUV or a truck. No one vehicle can be all things to all people. I love the look of the 3 windshield/roof/rear window glass. I don't plan to get the sunroof version.

I believe that the Model 3 is going to be a huge sales success and outsell every EV ever made by an order of magnitude. The Bolt is going to sell in very small numbers compared to the Model 3 because the Bolt is not attractive and is not supported by a fast DC charging network.

I will likely let go of the reservation as wanted a lift back, especially with dogs, etc.

I'll keep my Model S and likely upgrade if the S improves.

Otherwise, there will be compelling competition in time, likely of higher quality even. Not a bad thing as this is part of Teslas mission and why they don't patent.

+1 for this.

As someone who is about to get two Huskies, space in the boot is imperative, as sticking two 75+ lbs dogs in the backseat of a Model ≡ just doesn't sound like a good time.

However, with that being said...I'll stick to my original plan of keeping my MS around for 3 years and see where the M≡ and the Model Y are at that time and go from there.

I've owned a BMW 3-series and an Audi A4. I've also known many people shopping in this segment. Not once was "rear headroom" a consideration. I transported my kids in the A4 frequently, and head room was never a consideration.

Unless you are an Uber driver, who frequently transports adults in the rear seat of a small car?

Exactly. How often do we all carry adults around in the backs of our cars really? I use the practical hatchback and fold down seats in my Honda Fit all the time. With this design choice Tesla has prioritized some imaginary passenger over the owner of the vehicle. Not the right direction to go IMO.

Reactions: Petra
I don't really get all the defense for this decision. If you don't care about usable cargo space, that's fine. But all the arguments thus far are nonsense.

This is NOT a compact car. It's well into mid-size sedan territory. Even if it was compact, there exist compacts with liftbacks.

It's irrelevant whether whatever other cars you cherry-pick to compare it to have liftbacks or not. Other vehicles in the Model S's "class" don't have liftbacks either. Yet the Model S still does. And I haven't heard any complaints about the Model S's liftback impeding rear seat headroom; unsurprising, since the presence or lack of a liftback has nothing to do with rear headroom.

The only reason not to have a liftback is to keep the glass roof as a single piece. Sure, it's nice aesthetically, but the utility gained by a liftback far outweighs concerns over having to separate the glass roof into two separate pieces. Not to mention those who choose a conventional roof get screwed out of a liftback for no reason whatsoever.

I'm not cancelling my preorder because I'm hoping that they simply weren't able to get the final liftback design ready in time for the unveiling or somesuch, and will have something to show later. But if they keep the crappy little trunk-hole, it's a really bafflingly bad decision in what is otherwise a wonderful vehicle.

^^^ This