Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Notchback Trunk - Deal-Killer?

If the Model 3 Is Notchback-only, Will you still buy?

• Yes. I'm all-in, and the cargo utility is a secondary concern

Votes: 267 65.6%
  • No. This is a big letdown. Hoping for Model S-style Liftback

Votes: 62 15.2%
  • Will probably wait for Model Y crossover variant

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • I still think Musk has a surprise up his sleeve. Might not be just a notchback

Votes: 55 13.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok Tesla if you are not going to give us a lift back please I beg of you at least provide some nice split seat fold down options. Split seat configurations are a must when you want to haul one person in the back and a lot of extra gear. They are also nice for dog owners.

Well it seems people find things to complain about. This is the price of a 3 series , A4, or C class. They don't have liftback hatches either.
They all have, but these Versions aren't offered in the US market because you prefer SUV. In Europe traditionally the lift-/hatchbacks were sold instead of SUV-type-cars, but this changes since some years towards CUV/SUV.

Having recently been to Europe for the first time, I can understand disappointment in the design decision. Hatchbacks are everywhere there. I literally did not see any trucks, and there were only a few SUVs. Thus I can understand why they'd want as much utility as possible in a compact to mid-size car. Plus I've seen a lot of people say that the Model S is too big for streets in Europe. From what I saw I tend to agree. For Tesla to want to be a worldwide company, I'm surprised they've taken this route.

I don't think it will be that little hole in the back at production. If you look at the unveiling the model shown had a hinge at the top. I'm certain it will be a hatchback.

Attachments

• hinge.jpg
    hinge.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 142
I believe that there will eventually be multiple configurations of Model ☰. That is certainly the case with the BMW 3-Series. The car revealed on March 31, 2016 will simply be one of many that wear the badge. So, a wagon/crossover with Liftback will probably be available by the time Right Hand Drive territories begin to place orders, or receive them. The Model Y will be... something else.

Reactions: igotzzoom
Just in case anyone has forgotten or never saw the MS prototype...

Model 3 is not a prototype. Pre-production version is more accurate.

as for the trunk... I prefer a bit more design over function. Too many ugly cars on the road. The Model 3 was always going to be a mainstream sedan, not a hatchback at least initially. It was never going to fit your dog or bike in the back. A stroller and some groceries is about it, and I'm fine with that. I don't know why people had other ideas.

Having recently been to Europe for the first time, I can understand disappointment in the design decision. Hatchbacks are everywhere there. I literally did not see any trucks, and there were only a few SUVs. Thus I can understand why they'd want as much utility as possible in a compact to mid-size car. Plus I've seen a lot of people say that the Model S is too big for streets in Europe. From what I saw I tend to agree. For Tesla to want to be a worldwide company, I'm surprised they've taken this route.

This! I fully get the Model 3 design and the decisions to go with it from a US perspective. I also understand the sentiment that "you should get a truck to haul things" - I lived many years in the US. The problem is really the size of the Model S. My Audi A4 is - literally down to about an inch of space left and right combined as wide as my car can be. That's both for the gate in our summer house as well as at home. In many parking spaces in Europe the Model S simple doesn't fit. And this is not just me: I discussed with e-mobility advocates in Copenhagen who say that they can't use all their charging stations with Tesla but have to alternate a Leaf / Tesla to physically reach into the charging bays.

Having a small trunk opening as we have seen on the Model 3 is really a huge issue here. I really hope they find a way to get a lift gate into the car somehow...

I believe that there will eventually be multiple configurations of Model ☰. That is certainly the case with the BMW 3-Series. The car revealed on March 31, 2016 will simply be one of many that wear the badge. So, a wagon/crossover with Liftback will probably be available by the time Right Hand Drive territories begin to place orders, or receive them. The Model Y will be... something else.

I hope you're right. I'm also hoping my initial reservation might be transferable to another new model. If this time next year, Tesla announces a liftback or the Model Y, I think I'd be much more inclined to go with one of those. Anyone have any experience with this with the Model S or Model X? BTW, for what it's worth, I tweeted Elon personally about the liftback issue. My guess is I won't hear something for a while, if ever. That's OK. I've waited this long, I'm willing to wait a little longer.

I expect aerodynamics dictates the hatchback shape while the glass roof differentiates and it's kept affordable with a trunk.

Yet somehow they provided "Liftback technology" for my current car that I bought NEW for only $8500 base list ($18k inflation adjusted).

If I had the Model 3, as it is, I would be looking for a company to step up to the plate and provide a custom liftback solution and sheet metal hardtop (hopefully selling the expensive glass top for some $).

To those saying a sedan liftback wasn't possible in this segment, Check out BMW 3 series Gran Turismo for instance:
image_68cacc82-81e5-4d7d-895d-6e0e21782bdb.arox

image_1848aff9-c032-4df0-9ae4-c99d5e5c9016.arox

Tesla could well offer two or three versions of the Model 3: 2-door, 4-door w glass roof and 5-door (as we say in Europe) with a liftgate. I talked to many people in Germany who reserved the 3 and they have strong hopes for a liftback version of the Model 3.

Where's the frunk?

Why is the rear headroom so bad?

Perfectly good reasons not to have a liftback. Just like folding seats on the X, there are trade-offs--and despite some people swearing by a liftback, there are more people who don't need it.

Hatchbacks simply aren't popular in the US. The Model Y will almost assuredly be a hatchback (liftback + compact CUV = really hard to make work). Why produce two hatchbacks? Tesla only needs one.

Reactions: Bimbels
There is nothing in that photo that shows anything about a hatchback.

It is hard to see in the photo, but there is a hinge at the top of the roof line.

I've uploaded another photo. I've circled the gas tube and put a line over the rod. Also, when you look at the glass, you'll see it's not one piece. There's a separation above the B pillar. It could be nothing, but it could be something. ;)

Attachments

• hinge2.jpg
    hinge2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 93
Lift or not?

I posted this in another thread a zillion yea....I mean, 12 or so hours ago, but given the proliferation of threads and posts there really is no way to keep up any more.

At any rate, I absolutely cannot see how Mr Musk could have made the claim that he did - "The Model 3 Can Fit a 7-Foot Surfboard" - unless there is indeed a lift.

Not nohow not noway.

Am I somehow wrong?