Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 on display at the Yorkdale Mall Showroom in Toronto on March 2nd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- the frunk is pretty small, and on observing that one of the Tesla people said it was the dual motor version. Instead of arguing I was surprised that he’d say that since they haven’t made any. Unless of course they are keeping the same size frunk for all and we haven’t noticed that some are AWD. Doubt it.

They have indeed made some Dual Motor cars but they are all in California. The one at Yorkdale is RWD. The frunk size is the same on both RWD and Dual Motor versions since the car was designed to accept the second motor already.

I popped by Yorkdale first thing yesterday. About 5 people there but I easily got to spend a fair bit of time in the car.

A few thoughts:
- seating a bit tighter than the S laterally (obviously) but more comfortable seats than my Sig S
- screen was frozen and needed to be rebooted to work. Edmunds and others are likely right that they may be rushing these out the door before everything’s ready. Although I’m pretty used to holding the middle buttons once a month, 500k other people probably aren’t....
- the frunk is pretty small, and on observing that one of the Tesla people said it was the dual motor version. Instead of arguing I was surprised that he’d say that since they haven’t made any. Unless of course they are keeping the same size frunk for all and we haven’t noticed that some are AWD. Doubt it.
- everything else is solid about the car. However I’m unsure if I’ll convert the reservation...we'll see final price and rebate situation. I’m fond of my S and with all the part replacements I pretty much have a new car. :)

CJ

I will buy your reservation if you do think to give up. Tons of my friends are interested..;);)

I'll believe the map speeds when I see it on an owner's car. With all the data being VPN choked down to Palo Alto, the maps will probably be slow, at least with traffic info.

PS Reservations aren't transferable. They can buy the car from me after a year so I can meet the condition for the rebate (if there are any by then). :)

I'll believe the map speeds when I see it on an owner's car. With all the data being VPN choked down to Palo Alto, the maps will probably be slow, at least with traffic info.

PS Reservations aren't transferable. They can buy the car from me after a year so I can meet the condition for the rebate (if there are any by then). :)

It is transferable if use some very simple tricks. It is all depends on if you want make some money out of it.

How many other BEVs are there in Canada that you can jump in and take a test drive in today? By the time BEVs from other manufacturers are widely available for test drives, you can be sure that the Model 3 will also be available for test drives. In the meantime, it is great that one can see the Model 3 on the showroom floor to get a sense of the size, comfort, luggage capacity, controls, etc.

If the interested party is not familiar with how a Tesla drives, they can then go for a test ride in Model S or X to get a sense of how charging, driving dynamics, etc. are and extrapolate that to the Model 3. I drive a Chevy Volt. I rented a Model S for a week on Turo. The driving experience was pretty much what I expected based on my experience with my Volt. I imagine the Model 3 and Model S driving experience is a LOT more similar than my Volt/Model S experience was.

With a Model 3 on the showroom floor and Model S and X vehicles available for test rides, I really don't see where the inability to take a Model 3 for a test drive puts Tesla at a disadvantage at this time relative to the other BEVs on the market.

I'd suggest seat fit and ergonomics would be good to try in person. As for driving dynamics, even the Tesla nay-sayers are unequivocal about its great ride dynamics, and many even suggest it's a better drive then the S given its lighter and more nimble. Hard to imagine you'd be disappointed with the ride. So I agree with you, @bpjod, a showroom viewing should cover the bases.

I just confirmed with a call to the store but the Model 3 at Yorkdale is out for repairs! Somehow a customer broke the rear window of all things and it's gone for a few days. I'm hoping it's back by Friday was planning a trip with the kids to see it but call ahead if thinking the same.
Thank you very much. I was planning on going tomorrow morning. Glad I won't be wasting my time!

I just confirmed with a call to the store but the Model 3 at Yorkdale is out for repairs! Somehow a customer broke the rear window of all things and it's gone for a few days. I'm hoping it's back by Friday was planning a trip with the kids to see it but call ahead if thinking the same.

Only at Yorkdale something like this could happen. I swear that mall is a zoo

That was my thought as well - that network speeds could be the issue, or at least the network throughput which may be much better on the Model 3.

But there seems to be much less lag. I have always been disappointed with the lag of the screen on the Model S - some times you think that it hasn't registered your touch, but it is just really slow and laggy.

I'm trying to stay positive and it's taking this long just because they have nothing setup in Canada for the Model 3, but I hope this isn't a sign of things to come for repairs or parts. When I talked to them on the weekend they seemed pretty confident it would be ready by Tuesday/Wednesday so they are way off again, I shouldn't be surprised anymore!