Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Only 1 Screen Officially

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A spaceship can very quickly rotate and turn on a dime.
And turn everyone inside into jelly if it's going fast enough :D

Not to totally dive too deep into the quote, but "system" usually implies more than one thing, so wouldn't be limited to the steering wheel itself and would include all aspects of how you interact with the car while driving, including a *possible* HUD.
The actual quote does not mention "system", it just says "steering controls".

If the car detects a problem that needs your attention, why wouldn't it just tell you that? I assume the Model 3 AI will be able to talk, as GPS systems have been doing that for many years. A warning light or other visual indicator or message could sit there for a long time without being noticed, no matter where it is displayed. The car should also be able to understand your spoken requests for information (e.g. Siri or Alexa, etc.).

A spaceship can very quickly rotate and turn on a dime.
Only in fiction. Not in real life.
I'm not sure how many people here remember that, I certainly don't. ;)
I not only remember high beam control switches on the floor, I have owned more than one car that had such a control. .

They clearly stated that the screen allowed important information to be in the periphery, actually. So that does mean that the speed is likely going to stay in the same place. Anywhere else is farther away. That is, if this will be the only place with a speedometer.

You assume that's what it means. That may not be what it means.

Tesla-Autopilot-Firmware-7-e1440083451835.jpg

The most important question is, where is all of this info going to go (particularly the service lights, autopilot display and energy consumption)? That's what matters. If they manage to fit it all on the current screen, will it be safely readable, or toggleable for the driver?

Functionality and safety is what I'm interested in. I'm sure someone can make it all fit on this:
tesla-model3-11.jpg

Especially if you resize the media screen. It's TBD until the final reveal how it all works out (hopefully they go a little more in depth on the display/interior features).

Now Tesla just needs to make the screen flush with the dash.

Reactions: ikjadoon
My direct line of sight is out the window at the traffic. I go long distances without ever looking down at the instrument cluster, and I usually only look to check my speed.
And so am I. But if a red or yellow lamp lights up between me and where I look (out of the window at the traffic) I will notice it without looking down, and know that I have to look down - or down and to the right - to find out what this is about. And if I have a blue light there I know my high beam is on without looking, and if it's green I know it is not on, but just normal light.

I am just as likely to notice something on the central panel looking at the speed as I am something in the cluster (as has been pointed out, both are fairly close to your direct line of sight out the window).
Well, you may be, but not I. I have some display on about the same place in my cars now, and I do not notice any change there unless I look for it. And it's ok, as it isn't any vital or important information there.

Generally if the car needs to alert you to something important it makes an audible alarm, otherwise I wouldn't notice it.
Not everybody driving a car has perfect hearing (I don't), but they really should have quite good sight. Yes, in some situations there may be a good idea to add audible alarm in addition to the warning/alert light, but my arguments against this is the - in addition to what I already have mentioned and that I hate audible alarms - is the same that I have against blinking center display (see earlier post) and talking UI, it is an distraction.

As far as I can see in the section for location it just requires that they be visible to the driver and that controls be reachable by the driver.
My arguments for that it should be in the line of sight of the driver - and not (only) on the center display to the right - is not based on the legality of having them only on the display or not, but what is important to me as a driver. Btw: The marked for TM3 is a bit more then just US of A, anyone checked the other markets for legality of that placement? Like in the EU?

Exactly, which is why the over-the-top rants about where the indicators will be and whether or not people will like it is misplaced anger.
Sorry to disappoint you, but I have no anger. I'm calm and composed, but I still have my opinions in this matter. So no misplaced anger, and no misplaced options, and no "over-the-top" anything, except perhaps "over-the-top" reactions on my opinions?

I remember, I have had several cars with it, and I miss them. I found them easier to handle - especially if I had to turn off the high beam in the middle of a curve - then the the stalk on automatic cars, but it could easily be problematic on manual cars, if I had to use it while pressing the clutch.

I estimate that over the past almost 12 months there have been several thousand posts on TMC on the subject of how the Model 3 will display information to the driver (and I have contributed more than a few of those posts) but as of now we know nothing more with any certainty than we did when the Model 3 reveal ended on March 31, 2016.

Tesla has done a very good job of preventing new Model 3 information from getting out. In this age of digital data and leaks, its impressive how well Tesla can keep a secret.

Elon mentioned on the earnings call how it's almost impossible to keep a secret, but they have done an amazing job hiding the development of the model 3. They must not allow any phones near the mock ups and models.
Hard to believe they can keep leaked pictures from popping up.
My guess is lots of loyal employees who don't want to be the one who lets a pic out, and don't want to lose their job!

I remember, I have had several cars with it, and I miss them. I found them easier to handle - especially if I had to turn off the high beam in the middle of a curve - then the the stalk on automatic cars, but it could easily be problematic on manual cars, if I had to use it while pressing the clutch.
+1 I wish they would bring it back. It is definitely much safer than the column when your hands are already busy.

Reactions: Model 3
Exactly, which is why the over-the-top rants about where the indicators will be and whether or not people will like it is misplaced anger. If it's within the driver's view, it will be within regulations.

Remember...people had to adjust when your high-beams switch was moved from being a foot pedal to a switch on the stalk.....we'll all get through this, and then wonder how we ever drove in a car set up any other way.

I remember two things. First, after getting my drivers license with a manual transmission you had to be careful when you had the high beams on. If you were in the middle of shifting you had to decide to continue shifting or toggle from high to low beam using the pedal on the floor. After awhile that became routine but I blinded a few drivers until I got good at it . The good old days!!
And second, I remember reading a survey that said a significant number of drivers never knew they had a high/low beam pedal.

high low beam pedal.PNG