Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Only 1 Screen Officially

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think both terms are used interchangeably in the US. Head-up display - Wikipedia
  1. Oxford Dictionary of English, Angus Stevenson, Oxford University Press – 2010, page 809 (head-up display (N.Amer. also heads-up display))
If enough people change the usage by adding an S, it gets changed in the dictionary, yes. Same thing with the word "anyways" which didn't use to exist.

Reactions: vinnie97
Perhaps, but that would remove AP, EAP, and FSD from the category of software up-gradable. In fact, it would likely make it very expensive to install.

Thank you kindly.
Yes, I tend to agree. Retrofitting is much more expensive than installing at build-time. My hope is that all 3's have HUD -- perhaps not activated on base model, but OTA upgradable (perhaps packaged with upgrade to EAP or FSD).

Yes, I tend to agree. Retrofitting is much more expensive than installing at build-time. My hope is that all 3's have HUD -- perhaps not activated on base model, but OTA upgradable (perhaps packaged with upgrade to EAP or FSD).
If the hardware is installed on all TM3s, I can't see any reason not to use it. As I have explained earlier there is a need/want/interface thing even if you don't have any AP enabled. There isn't a need for a lot of information there without AP, but if the hardware is installed, it should be used.

Reactions: Topher
If the hardware is installed on all TM3s, I can't see any reason not to use it. As I have explained earlier there is a need/want/interface thing even if you don't have any AP enabled. There isn't a need for a lot of information there without AP, but if the hardware is installed, it should be used.
I'm with you ... but possibly a marketing thing, to encourage one to buy the upgrade?

Yes, I see that point, but then they would need to give the "none-AP" information that is needed in front of the driver by other means, in addition to mounting some hardware that could do the job, and not let it do it.
Well, what info is needed? Mostly the speed -- and that was placed upper-left corner on the centre scree. Other stuff is lower priority. My Mini has the speed in the centre of the dash, too.
2007-Mini-Convertible-Sidewalk-Dashboard-1280x960.jpg

Well, what info is needed? Mostly the speed -- and that was placed upper-left corner on the centre scree. Other stuff is lower priority. My Mini has the speed in the centre of the dash, too.

Tesla's employees clearly stated during the reveal 1 test-rides that the UI wasn't finalized. So we don't know if that's where the speedometer is actually going to end up or if that was just a placeholder until the interior and UI are finalized.

Well, what info is needed?

What would it need?
All the waning/information lamps (turn indicator, light/high beam, seatbelts, door open, error conditions etc) has to be in the direct line of sight. Their job is to inform me of something I do not know I need to look for, so I will not look to the side to look for if this lamps are lit or not. I may manage to look a bit to the side to look for information I'm seeking, like the speed or current charging level, as this is information I want to know and I know that there is information about this on the screen. But I would still prefers to get even this information (current speed and charging level) in the direct line of sight. All the rest may well be put on the center screen (as I do not need any AP information).

Mostly the speed -- and that was placed upper-left corner on the centre scree.
Yes, I would want the speed there to, but that has lower priority then the warning lamps. If I wonder what speed I'm holding, I can look down/right for that, but if I do not know that I need some information I will not look for it. The warning lamps is there to inform me about something I need to know but does not know that I have to look for it. So I need it in my direct line of sight, so I may notice at least that there is some light that is trying to tell me something I do not know.

Reactions: Topher
The warning lamps is there to inform me about something I need to know but does not know that I have to look for it.
What warning (non-indicator) lights does your car have now that you'd need in the Model 3?
engine temp warning?
12v battery warning?
low oil pressure warning?
:p

If it's truly a warning then why can't the center screen blink? (same with a blinking indicator symbol in the top left corner)

What warning (non-indicator) lights does your car have now that you'd need in the Model 3?
engine temp warning?
12v battery warning?
low oil pressure warning?
:p
(turn indicator, light/high beam, seatbelts, door open, error conditions etc)
"Error condition" could be brake problems, reduced regenerated brakes (low temperature/high level of charge), airbag problems, high battery/motor temperature putting the car in "limp mode" or low level of charge. By not having the charge level in the line of sight you may have to have a warning lamp to tell you that you need to move your eyes of the road to check you charge level. It may even have a warning lamp for "there is an error-message on the center screen". This is just a few examples of the top of my head.

If it's truly a warning then why can't the center screen blink?
It may, and may be the solution for *some* of that information I mentioned above (like "there is an error-message on the center screen"), it is not good enough for all of them. Should the center screen blink to inform me that I have the high beam on? Or of? Or that the turn indicator is on? Should it blink constant if I have less then 10% range left? Or as long as it have reduced regen? ... and so on.

• Informative
Reactions: ikjadoon
Tesla's employees clearly stated during the reveal 1 test-rides that the UI wasn't finalized. So we don't know if that's where the speedometer is actually going to end up or if that was just a placeholder until the interior and UI are finalized.

They clearly stated that the screen allowed important information to be in the periphery, actually. So that does mean that the speed is likely going to stay in the same place. Anywhere else is farther away. That is, if this will be the only place with a speedometer.

We keep coming back to this document....

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol6/pdf/CFR-2011-title49-vol6-sec571-101.pdf

But in the US, this document outlines what indicators are required to be shown, where they are required to be shown in relation to the driver, what color they are supposed to be, etc etc etc.

Unless Tesla has asked for waivers, which I doubt (since they've pushed unsuccessfully to have mirrors replaced with cameras), we will see these things on the Model 3, presented to us in some way, shape, or form.....

where they are required to be shown in relation to the driver,

As far as I can see in the section for location it just requires that they be visible to the driver and that controls be reachable by the driver.

Yes, I would want the speed there to, but that has lower priority then the warning lamps. If I wonder what speed I'm holding, I can look down/right for that, but if I do not know that I need some information I will not look for it. The warning lamps is there to inform me about something I need to know but does not know that I have to look for it. So I need it in my direct line of sight, so I may notice at least that there is some light that is trying to tell me something I do not know.

My direct line of sight is out the window at the traffic. I go long distances without ever looking down at the instrument cluster, and I usually only look to check my speed. I am just as likely to notice something on the central panel looking at the speed as I am something in the cluster (as has been pointed out, both are fairly close to your direct line of sight out the window). Generally if the car needs to alert you to something important it makes an audible alarm, otherwise I wouldn't notice it.

Reactions: JeffK
As far as I can see in the section for location it just requires that they be visible to the driver and that controls be reachable by the driver.

Exactly, which is why the over-the-top rants about where the indicators will be and whether or not people will like it is misplaced anger. If it's within the driver's view, it will be within regulations.

Remember...people had to adjust when your high-beams switch was moved from being a foot pedal to a switch on the stalk.....we'll all get through this, and then wonder how we ever drove in a car set up any other way.

So, to summarize: although the base 3 might only have a single screen and would be acceptable, it would not fit the 'spaceship controls' ala EM and I expect (hope) every 3 has HUD.
We don't know if the spaceship controls comment was in any way related to the screen do we? It could simply be a new way to do the stalks with the steering wheel.

Just mentions steering controls and system
Elon Musk on Twitter

A spaceship can very quickly rotate and turn on a dime.

We don't know if the spaceship controls comment was in any way related to the screen do we? It could simply be a new way to do the stalks with the steering wheel.

Just mentions steering controls and system
Elon Musk on Twitter

A spaceship can very quickly rotate and turn on a dime.
I am hopeful the car does not rotate. :oops: Not to totally dive too deep into the quote, but "system" usually implies more than one thing, so wouldn't be limited to the steering wheel itself and would include all aspects of how you interact with the car while driving, including a *possible* HUD. But who knows, gonna have to wait another 3 months to be sure it seems! Or hope that we get some White House-level leaks...