Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Only 1 Screen Officially

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But lacking a dashboard panel, a HUD is not the only way to get dashboard or entertainment info in view. There could easily be some kind of steering column display. It makes sense.
Steering Column Display in Model 3
Except that would be a second display which was ruled out on the investors call. But hey, nobody but the Tesla designers know, and they seem to keeping their cards close.

It's just mixed messages from them that are causing a lot of this hoopla. If there really was no "killer feature" and it was just a slightly more refined interior than we've already seen and put our $1,000 down on, why push the "Reveal" until so close to launch? If it really is the same, there's no reason to not hold it 3/31 instead of July. It's not like 10,000 people that were going to buy an S/X in the next 3-4 months are going to say, "WOW that's almost exactly the same as what I saw over a year ago, I'm DEFINITELY going to wait a year or more now and get on the list for a 3 rather than getting my S". The anti-selling makes no sense unless there is something unseen that might actually sway buyers who don't already have a deposit to put one down and wait for it. Telling us the battery pack options wouldn't cause a drop in S/X sales, as we already have an idea of what they will be and approximate ranges.

Perhaps the base model will be without HUD, since to manually drive, you do not need much more info that speed and map; while higher trim models with AP, EAP, or FSD will have a HUD so that the associated info can be displayed appropriately. I would prefer HUD in all Model 3's, though.

that flies directly in the face of "ease to manufacture".

i think at this point, all cars will be getting the same AP-related hardware, and whether or not it's active for you depends on if you buy the software upgrade.

So we're either all going to have the hardware for a HUD, or it's not going to be on the car at all.

I do like my iPhone so that is less of a problem for me ;-)
But what I like about this HUD / UI is that it is easy to control without taking your eyes of the road. Also I see quite some benefits of using AR in navigation and visualising some data that can be used by the autonomous driving, but is also useful for assisting a human driver.

your iPhone likely isn't very "spaceship-like" though.

Elon said we'd be getting spaceship-like controls!!!!

o_O

On some models the dash is the same wether the car has the optional hud or not. If it does not have it a small cover is placed instead of the hud projector. This helps simplify production and reduce production complexity and reduce unique parts.
You could even see Tesla have the wiring for a hud in place and a service center could add the hud later at additional expense.

On some models the dash is the same wether the car has the optional hud or not. If it does not have it a small cover is placed instead of the hud projector. This helps simplify production and reduce production complexity and reduce unique parts.
You could even see Tesla have the wiring for a hud in place and a service center could add the hud later at additional expense.
Other OEMs do this for things like steering wheel controls. All of the cars are wired for them. It's just a matter of you purchasing the option for them to install the buttons on your steering wheel.

It's possible, but now that I think about it, the windshield needs to accommodate a HUD as well. Not sure what the cost of coating would be, but if they don't use the same windshield, gonna be expensive to "upgrade".

I wonder if all cars with a hud have a special windshield or if there is hud technology that does not require a unique windshield design? I will say some lower cost cars have a small acrylic screen above the cluster that the hud is displayed on. Mazda uses this type. Not sure how well it works.
Must be less expensive than a special windshield.
And the projector and screen are one unit.

Take a look at the Mazda hud system in the 3 and 6 models.
Uses a small screen. Possible . Inexpensive for sure.
Maybe someone can post a pic I'm on my phone and can't.
Here's a picture and video. However it is optional and for 2017 only comes with the Grand Touring trim in the Mazda3, which is $24195 ($5300 more than $18895 for Sport and $2600 more than $21495 Touring). So hard to say it is inexpensive or not.
Heads-Up Display - 2014 Mazda 3 Long-Term Road Test
ximm

I've been looking at some of the third party HUDs and those and the ones above seem to work well mostly at night. Anyone got an example of one (third party or a car with one) that works in all conditions? Because we're talking about using it where we want it to always work, not as an extra, add-on, nice-to-have data-on-the-windshield accessory that can be used under some conditions.

If this is sold as 'the' main screen (you know what I mean) to any extent, it needs to be excellent. Is the state of the there yet?

Not a fan of any non projected HUDs either OEM or 3rd party. Very cheap looking. BMW sells that style for non HUD enabled cars as well.

BTW it's Head Up Display, not Heads Up Display. You only have one head and you're not about to catch a football.

BTW it's Head Up Display, not Heads Up Display. You only have one head and you're not about to catch a football.
I think both terms are used interchangeably in the US. Head-up display - Wikipedia
  1. Oxford Dictionary of English, Angus Stevenson, Oxford University Press – 2010, page 809 (head-up display (N.Amer. also heads-up display))