Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s because they do most of their building around this time to get cars out by q1. They don’t hold much inventory and they have one factory. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure out the logistics. Stop worrying about it, they will find a car for you. People just want it now.
I wouldn't classify getting your Model 3 within the original Estimated Delivery time as "wanting it now" but rather "wanting it when we were told it would be delivered"

I wouldn't classify getting your Model 3 within the original Estimated Delivery time as "wanting it now" but rather "wanting it when we were told it would be delivered"

4-7 weeks from January lines you up with mid February. It will likely show up any day. Note how many of the cars that have been delivered this month are in the east coast and middle states, also usually in black or white too.

4-7 weeks from January lines you up with mid February. It will likely show up any day. Note how many of the cars that have been delivered this month are in the east coast and middle states, also usually in black or white too.
So I find this in inventory this morning: 2020 Model 3 | Tesla Wrong wheels and no FSD. OK, I could deal with the wheel difference or it could be easily remedied by the local service center and FSD is just the push of a button somewhere, right so why is it in inventory rather than fulfilling an outstanding order? Trying to get more money for the quarter for someone to make an impulse purchase?

• Informative
Reactions: en_passant
So I find this in inventory this morning: 2020 Model 3 | Tesla Wrong wheels and no FSD. OK, I could deal with the wheel difference or it could be easily remedied by the local service center and FSD is just the push of a button somewhere, right so why is it in inventory rather than fulfilling an outstanding order?
It seems to disprove that "tesla batches up production runs" or your car would be in the batch at least? A person from GA ordered my exact car one full week after I did and he has the car, I'm still waiting on a source vin. I guess that was a GA batch? The system seems to work like a contest, but you pay full price instead of winning something. :confused:

It seems to disprove that "tesla batches up production runs" or your car would be in the batch at least? A person from GA ordered my exact car one full week after I did and he has the car, I'm still waiting on a source vin. I guess that was a GA batch? The system seems to work like a contest, but you pay full price instead of winning something. :confused:
Agreed, while there may be some logic in it for the company, those waiting for their cars get played.

Reactions: en_passant
I’ll be honest, (and keep in mind I’m also waiting for my car and clicking all day like somehow that will make my VIN come faster LOL) I see why they didn’t offer you that particular car.

1. For weeks, on your account page, they’ve been encouraging you to upgrade to FSD for $7000. You didn’t bite. (Neither did I)

2. You didn’t choose the $1500 wheel/tire upgrade, which I’m sure they make a bundle on. (Neither did I)

3. Model 3’s that show up in inventory are rare birds these days and are gone almost as quickly as they show up. Your car will be here soon and they will sell this car within a week with $8,500 more in options than you wanted in your config.

So, COULD they swap the wheels, turn off FSD, and give this car to you instead? Sure. But they didn’t say “you’ll receive your car is 4-7 weeks”. It says right there on your account page (like every other manufacturer) “Estimated Delivery”. I’ve custom ordered 2 minis, 3 BMWs, 1 Dodge, 2 Honda’s, and 2 Mercedes over the years. Only TWO of those cars arrived when I was told they would.

Also keep in mind that there is ONE factory building these cars right now (the China factory just came back online this week I think). So, the Fremont CA factory builds S/X/3 for the entire planet... and if I’m not mistaken, they still use the second model 3 assembly line in the tent. There are folks in the UK and Czech Republic that have been waiting for MONTHS.

Heck, I’ve only been waiting for 5 days and I’m pulling my hair out LOL. In fact, I’m insanely jealous of YOU because you’ll most likely have your car in a couple of weeks!

Hang in there! You’re almost there!

Last edited:
I'm not impressed that my SA never told me the countdown actually starts when you apply for the loan. My wait time literally restarted at 6 and a half weeks. I now have a 2-6 week window on top of the 7.5 weeks I've been waiting. I know I'll love when the car comes but I'm losing money on my trade in daily, I'm not impressed that I was literally given BAD INFO from my SA, and I'm not impressed that it's possible my wait will be literally double the estimated timeframe when I ordered.

I’ll be honest, (and keep in mind I’m also waiting for my car and clicking all day like somehow that will make my VIN come faster LOL) I see why they didn’t offer you that particular car.

1. For weeks, on your account page, they’ve been encouraging you to upgrade to FSD for $7000. You didn’t bite. (Neither did I)

2. You didn’t choose the $1500 wheel/tire upgrade, which I’m sure they make a bundle on. (Neither did I)

3. Model 3’s that show up in inventory are rare birds these days and are gone almost as quickly as they show up. Your car will be here soon and they will sell this car within a week with $8,500 more in options than you wanted in your config.

So, COULD they swap the wheels, turn off FSD, and give this car to you instead? Sure. But they didn’t say “you’ll receive your car is 4-7 weeks”. It says right there on your account page (like every other manufacturer) “Estimated Delivery”. I’ve custom ordered 2 minis, 3 BMWs, 1 Dodge, 2 Honda’s, and 2 Mercedes over the years. Only TWO of those cars arrived when I was told they would.

Also keep in mind that there is ONE factory building these cars right now (the China factory just came back online this week I think). So, the Fremont CA factory builds S/X/3 for the entire planet... and if I’m not mistaken, they still use the second model 3 assembly line in the tent. There are folks in the UK and Czech Republic that have been waiting for MONTHS.

Heck, I’ve only been waiting for 5 days and I’m pulling my hair out LOL. In fact, I’m insanely jealous of YOU because you’ll most likely have your car in a couple of weeks!

I agree.
But if we look back a Q4, Tesla was pushing almost 7k of cars.
We are already on Week 6, so assuming they are pushing the same amount. We would be 42K Teslas at the end of the week.

I'm not impressed that my SA never told me the countdown actually starts when you apply for the loan. My wait time literally restarted at 6 and a half weeks. I now have a 2-6 week window on top of the 7.5 weeks I've been waiting. I know I'll love when the car comes but I'm losing money on my trade in daily, I'm not impressed that I was literally given BAD INFO from my SA, and I'm not impressed that it's possible my wait will be literally double the estimated timeframe when I ordered.

Who accepting your trade in?
If it Tesla, it's guaranteed until your Del date as my SA advised me.

Sorry, I'm not willing to make excuses for them. It's really irrelevant how many factories there are and what else they're producing. If they have such a bad handle on their production ability relative to orders, how to they keep the proper items in their supply chain pipeline? I guess I just thought that Tesla would exceed my expectations and hit the early part of the estimate but we're past that point. I guess the quote from my SA that said "You should be in good shape with everything (in your profile) being knocked out". Of course, hours later I get the updated delivery timeframe of 1-6 weeks which allows for the possibility of being beyond the original estimate. For a tech company, I find it hard to believe that they can't surface information on when they are planning on doing a run of a batch of cars matching a particular configuration. That way, there'd be much less guesswork in planning sale of your current car (since their trade-in value sucks), arranging financing, etc. Also, if they're not factoring shipping time into the estimates, then they need to work on that as well.

Reactions: gargantila
Oh man, sorry to read that. I test drove on 2/8, went home and ordered, and the same fellow that setup the test drive emailed me that he saw I just ordered and...

“Please log into your Tesla account and submit these 5 steps for your account completion. The sooner you complete these, the earlier in the priority you are for a vehicle.
  1. Delivery Location
  2. Upload Driver License for Registration
  3. Processing a trade in (if you’re interested)
  4. Choose a payment method and finalize it
  5. Uploading current proof of insurance”

Sorry, I'm not willing to make excuses for them. It's really irrelevant how many factories there are and what else they're producing. If they have such a bad handle on their production ability relative to orders, how to they keep the proper items in their supply chain pipeline? I guess I just thought that Tesla would exceed my expectations and hit the early part of the estimate but we're past that point. I guess the quote from my SA that said "You should be in good shape with everything (in your profile) being knocked out". Of course, hours later I get the updated delivery timeframe of 1-6 weeks which allows for the possibility of being beyond the original estimate. For a tech company, I find it hard to believe that they can't surface information on when they are planning on doing a run of a batch of cars matching a particular configuration. That way, there'd be much less guesswork in planning sale of your current car (since their trade-in value sucks), arranging financing, etc. Also, if they're not factoring shipping time into the estimates, then they need to work on that as well.
And the thing that's driving me even more nuts is that everytime my phone rings I answer it on the off chance that it might be my delivery call but they've been nothing but spam calls. If I knew who was going to call so that I could put it in my contacts, that would save a world of headaches.

Oh man, sorry to read that. I test drove on 2/8, went home and ordered, and the same fellow that setup the test drive emailed me that he saw I just ordered and...

“Please log into your Tesla account and submit these 5 steps for your account completion. The sooner you complete these, the earlier in the priority you are for a vehicle.
  1. Delivery Location
If that's the case, why don't they just say that inside of your account? The insurance page states "the insurance card must have your Telsa VIN on it" or something to that effect. I was waiting for a VIN that still hasn't arrived...... How hard is it to update the web page to remove the "it needs the VIN' part?!?!?!?

You dont have to be jealous they ve been waiting couple months already

1. Delivery Location

1. Delivery Location
Lol i saw these things right away almost 2 months ago right after I placed the order too....still waiting..

Im not trying to make excuses for them, and I agree there’s room for improvement. To put things into perspective, most custom built cars take 8-12 weeks... and that can be longer depending on where in the world the factory is, time of year, weather, etc. And now with this virus in China, supply manufacturing there has ground to a halt so if you build cars, and you get a widget from a factory there...UH OH.

All that said, they need to improve on setting realistic expectations regarding delivery times. It’s always better to under promise and over deliver. Instead of the constantly changing “Estimated delivery in 4-6 weeks”, they’re better off saying “Delivery time from the date of order is currently averaging 12 weeks. Your Tesla could arrive sooner.”

Again, I feel for you. Nothing more disappointing than thinking you’re getting your dream car at a certain time only to find out it’s delayed for some unknown reason. Again, I ordered 2/8 and I’m not paying attention to the 4-6 week thing. I’m thinking they’ll have their typical “GET THEM DELIVERED BY THE END OF THE QUARTER!!!!” push which puts me either at 3/31 or <GULP> 6/30 LOL.

Last edited:
Here's one thing I know for sure. When we DO get our delivery days, we'll go from anger and frustration or cautious optimism (or in some cases, skepticism). Then, when we arrive to pick up our cars.... and actually SEE our cars.... we'll become giddy and everything we're feeling now will start to melt away.

GlaringArtisticFlounder-mobile.mp4

giphy.gif

Reactions: Imaginathan