Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my experience so far:

Order date 12/12/19: 2 weeks expected
Text #1 12/23: Model 3 will exit factory on 12/27 (appointment for 12/29 that was cancelled on 12/28)
Text #2 1/23: 1-5 weeks (1/30 - 2/28)
Text #3 2/6: 2-4 weeks (2/20 - 3/5)

It's been an incredibly frustrating process... If these jokers had said it'll be 3 months when I ordered.. I would have planned accordingly :mad::mad::mad:

Reactions: Imaginathan
Got my second text today!

"Delivery timing update - we now expect your Model 3 to be ready for delivery 4 - 7 weeks from today.

Tesla offers a variety of accessories to complement your vehicle and ownership experience. Visit shop.tesla.com to order additional gear and accessories for your vehicle."

That's my original time estimate when I ordered the car over four weeks ago. On the bright side, they have an online store full of things I can buy. I thought I was going to be stuck with whatever floor mats I get for the life of the car, but no need to worry about that anymore. Plus, now I have another month to browse Tesla's wonderful online store!

Here is my experience so far:

Order date 12/12/19: 2 weeks expected
Text #1 12/23: Model 3 will exit factory on 12/27 (appointment for 12/29 that was cancelled on 12/28)
Text #2 1/23: 1-5 weeks (1/30 - 2/28)
Text #3 2/6: 2-4 weeks (2/20 - 3/5)

It's been an incredibly frustrating process... If these jokers had said it'll be 3 months when I ordered.. I would have planned accordingly :mad::mad::mad:

Holy crap. You're the first person I've seen with a worse schedule than me. Been waiting since 12/24 and got the same texts as you.

I took delivery of my LR AWD MSM/white with 19” wheels yesterday afternoon, after placing an inventory order at 3am that same morning!

I had a custom order in with 4-8 weeks left, but saw one pop up in inventory in Costa Mesa and I jumped on it.

If you’re in SoCal, I highly recommend refreshing the inventory page several times a day, and especially late at night/early morning. There were several times this past week or two where I saw 2-3 cars pop up around 3am PST.

Love the car so far and I’m so happy the wait is over. Good luck everyone.

Reactions: IDRVSLO
Holy crap. You're the first person I've seen with a worse schedule than me. Been waiting since 12/24 and got the same texts as you.

To top it off I returned my lease last Friday because the guy I spoke to at Tesla said you'd be getting your car within 1-2 weeks and I didn't want to have 2 leases... I even asked him if it could be 4 weeks or more and he said that the chances of that happening were slim... now it could be 6 weeks from the 1/23 text... Nobody seems to have a clue and who is to say we don't get another text in 2 weeks saying it'll be another 4 weeks :eek:

Got my second text today!

"Delivery timing update - we now expect your Model 3 to be ready for delivery 4 - 7 weeks from today.

Tesla offers a variety of accessories to complement your vehicle and ownership experience. Visit shop.tesla.com to order additional gear and accessories for your vehicle."

That's my original time estimate when I ordered the car over four weeks ago. On the bright side, they have an online store full of things I can buy. I thought I was going to be stuck with whatever floor mats I get for the life of the car, but no need to worry about that anymore. Plus, now I have another month to browse Tesla's wonderful online store!

Spend, spend, spend!!

To top it off I returned my lease last Friday because the guy I spoke to at Tesla said you'd be getting your car within 1-2 weeks and I didn't want to have 2 leases... I even asked him if it could be 4 weeks or more and he said that the chances of that happening were slim... now it could be 6 weeks from the 1/23 text... Nobody seems to have a clue and who is to say we don't get another text in 2 weeks saying it'll be another 4 weeks :eek:

Did your original 12/28 appointment get cancelled when they realized they couldn't deliver all the cars by 12/31?

I took delivery of my LR AWD MSM/white with 19” wheels yesterday afternoon, after placing an inventory order at 3am that same morning!

I had a custom order in with 4-8 weeks left, but saw one pop up in inventory in Costa Mesa and I jumped on it.

If you’re in SoCal, I highly recommend refreshing the inventory page several times a day, and especially late at night/early morning. There were several times this past week or two where I saw 2-3 cars pop up around 3am PST.

Congrats! I was curious about buying an inventory car while you have a custom order already. Did you just hit the buy button and handle it as a separate order then cancelled the custom order? Or, did you try to coordinate getting the VIN matched to your custom order with a Tesla SA?

Spend, spend, spend!!

Did your original 12/28 appointment get cancelled when they realized they couldn't deliver all the cars by 12/31?

Yes... the guy said "Due to global demand we are unable to deliver your car to you"... Which is BS because why would they send me texts saying your car is getting out of the factory etc... my guess is they kept the car local for the NYE car delivery event at Fremont... Although there is an entry on the tracking spreadsheet of a guy from Los Angeles who ordered after me and ended up getting his car before the EOY. So maybe they just gave it to him instead of dropping it off in OC...

Everyone that has received their car so far seems to love it but this sales/delivery process has been really disappointing... I had a deal in place for the Alfa Romeo Giulia at the end of the year after I realized I was going to miss out on the Federal Rebate... and I think they went down in price even more... I'm seriously considering just leasing one until Tesla gets their sh!t together... and then maybe I'll jump into the Y bandwagon when my lease is up in 3 years...

So you're the one... I really want the aero wheels though, none of the ones that came through so far had them. Haven't seen one hit the inventory for several hours, they might be done.

Yes... the guy said "Due to global demand we are unable to deliver your car to you"... Which is BS because why would they send me texts saying your car is getting out of the factory etc... my guess is they kept the car local for the NYE car delivery event at Fremont... Although there is an entry on the tracking spreadsheet of a guy from Los Angeles who ordered after me and ended up getting his car before the EOY. So maybe they just gave it to him instead of dropping it off in OC...

Everyone that has received their car so far seems to love it but this sales/delivery process has been really disappointing... I had a deal in place for the Alfa Romeo Giulia at the end of the year after I realized I was going to miss out on the Federal Rebate... and I think they went down in price even more... I'm seriously considering just leasing one until Tesla gets their sh!t together... and then maybe I'll jump into the Y bandwagon when my lease is up in 3 years...

Your experience is the one I'm dreading... You had a car built and for some reason could not pick it up. They then put you back in the queue and that essentially means you get your car when we begin building cars for your area again, next quarter. So even though you started on 12/12/19 your effective order date is December 28. You got a 1-5 week text because you are essentially the first of the orders after the 12/31 blitz.. If what happens to you happens to me, I'm getting a car in June.... :mad:
I'm jaded as our Model X purchase was made at the very end of September and we got it in October before the year end blitz...

Your experience is the one I'm dreading... You had a car built and for some reason could not pick it up. They then put you back in the queue and that essentially means you get your car when we begin building cars for your area again, next quarter. So even though you started on 12/12/19 your effective order date is December 28. You got a 1-5 week text because you are essentially the first of the orders after the 12/31 blitz.. If what happens to you happens to me, I'm getting a car in June.... :mad:
I'm jaded as our Model X purchase was made at the very end of September and we got it in October before the year end blitz...

Hopefully not... I'm guessing 3 months would be tops for waiting... As far as "not picking up" I made the appointment as soon as I could when I got my first text... I think they just gave my car away to someone else even though I was ready to pick it up...

Congrats! I was curious about buying an inventory car while you have a custom order already. Did you just hit the buy button and handle it as a separate order then cancelled the custom order? Or, did you try to coordinate getting the VIN matched to your custom order with a Tesla SA?

I just did it as a new order and ate the non-refundable $100 fee to lock it in. My SA called me the next morning and said he was trying to pull the VIN to my existing order but they just had a system update or something and it wasn’t working. At first they weren’t even sure if the car was really there.

Then Costa Mesa called me up and scheduled deliver for that same afternoon. I couldn’t believe it. Just had to cancel my old order today but no biggy.

Yeah, this is the thing that is really rude, IMO. If they don't stick to the estimates,how can people make sane decisions? Clearly, they are not guarantees, but when you see others getting their cars with the same or a minorly tweaked config (wheels, autopilot vs FSD) then you almost have to assume that the logistics team is getting drunk and throwing darts at a map on Friday afternoons.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is the thing that is really rude, IMO. If they don't stick to the estimates,how can people make sane decisions? Clearly, they are guarantees, but when you see others getting their cars with the same or a minorly tweaked config (wheels, autopilot vs FSD) then you almost have to assume that the logistics team is getting drunk and throwing darts at a map on Friday afternoons.
And on top of that, I'm apparently not on the "every two week" text update schedule since I should have gotten that yesterday. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.