Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I asked the same thing......."Why wasn't I given this VIN rather than putting it into inventory?" to which the response was something to the effect of "they go into inventory before getting a local match" which just seems silly and borderline misleading.
The only problem then would be if the car can be claimed from "inventory" before the local match is made. In that case, the local match for pre-existing orders could keep failing forever.

Last edited:
Yeah, I asked the same thing......."Why wasn't I given this VIN rather than putting it into inventory?" to which the response was something to the effect of "they go into inventory before getting a local match" which just seems silly and borderline misleading.

If what your SA is saying is true... Potentially, if the configuration I ordered is in high demand in my store, but not in another one 20 miles away, a person that ordered from the other store after me could get his/her car well before me because they were matched locally... meanwhile I could just be waiting until my turn comes up at my store...

I understand there could be other factors but these guys are developing the self driving car... figuring out who is waiting longer in a given geographic area and getting them their car first, can't be more difficult than coming up with FSD! :mad:

If what your SA is saying is true... Potentially, if the configuration I ordered is in high demand in my store, but not in another one 20 miles away, a person that ordered from the other store after me could get his/her car well before me because they were matched locally... meanwhile I could just be waiting until my turn comes up at my store...

I understand there could be other factors but these guys are developing the self driving car... figuring out who is waiting longer in a given geographic area and getting them their car first, can't be more difficult than coming up with FSD! :mad:
After having worked at a company that develops self-driving cars, I'd have to agree. I really think that they just don't care enough about this end of the business since, as others have pointed out, if you decide that you don't want the car that they make for you, there's going to be someone else that wants it.

Another thing that I found out was that international orders were higher than expected this quarter which throws us here in the states further back in line because of the longer delivery time. In theory, the gigafactory in China and the upcoming one in Berlin will alleviate these issues but that doesn't help us in the here and now. He also said that the cars destined for Europe are shipped to the east coast to be put on a boat, so it would be really terrible if one of the trucks wasn't able to make it to the port in time to put the cars on the boat.... ;-)

So spoke to my SA and she confirmed these vehicles are being made.

Attachments

• 6151F9A7-D179-4DE6-8AE8-5FB28DF49D28.jpeg
    6151F9A7-D179-4DE6-8AE8-5FB28DF49D28.jpeg
    512.8 KB · Views: 88
OK... so you can do what you wish with this information. I'm just the messenger. Keep in mind this is the closest showroom to the factory (not including the on-site center) smack in Silicon Valley. Spoke with my SA directly and he said the following:
  1. Right now the factory is running full capacity, and since the new year has been building mostly for Asia and Europe.
  2. By the end of the month, they switch over to East Coast and West Coast North America production.
  3. The SR+ is in greatest demand globally and has the longest wait times.
  4. The biggest cause of delay is people not completing all the steps right through uploading proof of current car insurance at the time they order.
  5. Highest priority is given to people who have approved credit and agreed to loan terms. He said he emphasizes to everyone that they will be assigned a car quicker if they do this, but the biggest obstacle is people do not want to apply for credit until later in the process and then get frustrated when they either don't receive a VIN or experience repeated delays.
So, I ordered and applied for credit through Tesla 2/8/2020, was approved and completed all steps 2/9/2020. There are people in here with identical configs on the East and West coasts who ordered in Nov, Dec, and Jan. I'm less than 10 miles from the factory and was told today they are going to deliver it from the factory to my house and the driver will Uber back to the factory. In his opinion, after looking at my account, he believes my total wait time will 4-6 weeks which is the current time estimate on Tesla.com... Sometime between March 8th and 22nd. And so it begins!

Let's see when I actually take delivery and how much of this stuff is fact, fantasy, or conspiracy theory.

giphy-3.gif

I have a rant I ordered a Tesla standard range on December 14 and as the rest to you I still have not received the vehicle so I have been checking inventory daily and I just came across a bunch of long range model threes in Marina Del Rey so I said to hell with it and I put $100 down so I can pick it up this weekend two hours after placing the order I called Marina del Rey and they tell me they don’t actually have the car so I asked where is the car with my attached vin their answer was you don’t have a VIN. I said why did I just buy an inventory car with a vin that you don’t have therefore I’d like to have my hundred dollars back that didn’t happen so now I’m out 100 bucks and back to waiting for my standard range. lesson learned this company is very very strange

I have a rant I ordered a Tesla standard range on December 14 and as the rest to you I still have not received the vehicle so I have been checking inventory daily and I just came across a bunch of long range model threes in Marina Del Rey so I said to hell with it and I put $100 down so I can pick it up this weekend two hours after placing the order I called Marina del Rey and they tell me they don’t actually have the car so I asked where is the car with my attached vin their answer was you don’t have a VIN. I said why did I just buy an inventory car with a vin that you don’t have therefore I’d like to have my hundred dollars back that didn’t happen so now I’m out 100 bucks and back to waiting for my standard range. lesson learned this company is very very strange

Same thing happened to @SteveS1979 last week when he decided to just buy the one from inventory... on a positive note he is going to be pickup up the one from last week today (while his original order is probably another month or so away)... I think you and I ordered the same exact model 2 days apart... I'm expecting (more like hoping) my car will be in Buena Park the first week of March... If you keep the LR order you may be able to get it next week... or you can wait another week or two for your SR+ order

Same thing happened to @SteveS1979 last week when he decided to just buy the one from inventory... on a positive note he is going to be pickup up the one from last week today (while his original order is probably another month or so away)... I think you and I ordered the same exact model 2 days apart... I'm expecting (more like hoping) my car will be in Buena Park the first week of March... If you keep the LR order you may be able to get it next week... or you can wait another week or two for your SR+ order
I am going to keep both orders for now but really hope the SR+ will be ready soon. What frustrates me is Tesla false advertises and instead of them saying ya that's our fault they keep my $100 bucks? Now that's some next-level bull with everything we have dealt with to date.

Reactions: en_passant
I am going to keep both orders for now but really hope the SR+ will be ready soon. What frustrates me is Tesla false advertises and instead of them saying ya that's our fault they keep my $100 bucks? Now that's some next-level bull with everything we have dealt with to date.

You should be able to argue to have them refund you that $100... it's clear that you were just trying to get one from the inventory before they all disappeared instead of waiting another month for your car. Plus, we both were told it'd be around 2 weeks (and I know it was an estimate but here we are 9 weeks later so what the heck kind of estimate is that!)... anyway... I got an email from Tesla asking me if I'd like to test drive at their Brea location, and I picked the Performance Model 3 to test drive tomorrow... I figured at least I'll get to drive a Model 3 this weekend even if it's for a few minutes :)

I would defiantly follow up on this as you clearly intend to buy a car. The $100 for the one you don't buy should go to your Tesla account at least.
I like the fact that Tesla doesn't really spend on advertising but they really need to bolster customer service. Also, I used to travel a lot for work and some here still do. There is no way to time being in town for delivery with this company, which is crazy for a "software" company. The product is still unique enough to put up with it for now.

Good morning. I ordered my car on 03 FEB. When ordering, I didn't see anything about uploading proof of current car insurance. Only my drivers license. Or is that because I'm not trading in my current car?

Thanks,
Jonathan
Did you make a selection about trading your car in? As soon as I submitted the trade-in choice, I was presented with the financing options followed by the insurance.

Not trading in my car. Keeping my original car for a while.
OK, did you select the option that you weren't trading in? I'll admit that the process is a little confusing and the "You can't change this information after you submit it" on the registrants leaves room for doubt on the other options. I personally waited until I was sure I wasn't trading in before selecting no trade in and the next option was financing. Do you have the financing options available?