Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have that paint problem on mine.

25k KM
Vin 759xx
LR RWD
red

I’ll try to go to my service center to see what they have to say about this.

Rocks chips and abrasion are a thing, but the paint peeling off the rocker panel is anything but normal!

2nd pic is the rocker panel peeling off

View attachment 413070 View attachment 413071

That car will be a rust bucket in 3 years.

I am currently getting the car ppf. I was talking to the employee who told me that paint problem is not specific to Tesla. Apparently because of environmental rules, the car are getting softer paint job. However she also told me that some batches are better quality than other. That is the part where guarantee should come in play. Also she mentionned that where people drive makes a difference. Highway, snow, sand, salt...

All this complaining. New cars with tires (wheels) that are wider than their lower wheel wells ALL DO THIS. You either slap on some ridiculous looking mud guards or use some really thick and durable PPF. When I bought a new 2008 STI the bottom rear doors, rocker panels and bumpers were getting chipped literally weeks after I left showroom. Since at the time it was fashionable to slap on some silly oversized rally mudflaps I did. Chipping stopped. Used a Subaru OEM paint stick to fix the damage done.

After reading this thread, I've decided to add mudguards (going to make my own from the RallySport universal kit) and PPF the rockers. I decided to go with the Servo PPF pre-cut rocker kit. It also includes film for the lower portion of the doors.

That was good choice. If i would have known that my car will broke down in 1 month or in 1200 miles i would have done it. But Tesla failed to tell anything about these issues. What a big joke.

Good wrap up here: J Savolainen on Twitter

Attached a picture from Canada. RUST on on 25.000 km. We all who live nordics will face this.( Norway, Sweden, Finland ) Also Estonia, Poland, Germany etc. Disaster is coming!

tesla_from_Canada.JPG

No expert here—but it looks as if the primer isn’t bonding to the metal and delaminates at the edge after wear. This same issue happened to many high wear products when switching to more environmentally friendly paints.

We have been investigating this and come up on conclusion that something has happened on Fremont factory on last September - November because the problem has started after that delivered cars. Cars which have been delivered on early 2018 does not have any problem. Like one Finnish who live in USA has 28.000 km on his odometer ( red ) and no paint defects or any paint wearing off.

My paint started to destroy after one month or 1200 miles in Finland. Tesla says it is normal.....

Seriously - paint wearing out after 1300 miles is normal wear and tear?

If the paint starts to wear out in normal use after only a couple of thousand miles, then there clearly is something fundamentally wrong in their production line and Tesla needs to take responsibility.

Reactions: Matias
All this complaining. New cars with tires (wheels) that are wider than their lower wheel wells ALL DO THIS. You either slap on some ridiculous looking mud guards or use some really thick and durable PPF. When I bought a new 2008 STI the bottom rear doors, rocker panels and bumpers were getting chipped literally weeks after I left showroom. Since at the time it was fashionable to slap on some silly oversized rally mudflaps I did. Chipping stopped. Used a Subaru OEM paint stick to fix the damage done.

To be fair, Subaru corrected this on the STI with PPF installations on the rear doors. I know because I had the same car!

Yes, as I pointed out above, Model 3 paint wearing off you can get 3M Scotchguard Pro PPF for the rockers, and the lower-door area for $200. More for Xpel, etc. It is a DIY project, but luckily, the rockers, and the parts of the lower door are very flat and easy to do, except for requiring you to lie on your back to install.

The alternative is to get the mudguards from Boutique - Antirouille Bolduc for like $150CA, or the carbon fiber ones from protectmytesla.com. I have those, but they still require some PPF on the rockers for complete protection. The Bolduc mudguards are larger and provide more coverage.
Then you just get dirty PPF edges instead of paint wear? I don't think Im a fan of PPF that isn't covering the entire panel.

Then you just get dirty PPF edges instead of paint wear? I don't think Im a fan of PPF that isn't covering the entire panel.
Door edges can be wrapped. I haven't had any dirt edges yet, so I can't really say, but the rocker protection is pretty much out of view. I mean, I have to get on my knees and duck my head in order to check if there's any liftoff on the door sills. And of course, the more you pays, the more you get. I was just giving the other side of the range on pricing.

Door edges can be wrapped. I haven't had any dirt edges yet, so I can't really say, but the rocker protection is pretty much out of view. I mean, I have to get on my knees and duck my head in order to check if there's any liftoff on the door sills. And of course, the more you pays, the more you get. I was just giving the other side of the range on pricing.
So that kit plus the rear for $250 is the way to go then? I already bought full font PPF.

I don't seem to have the paint issues reported in the thread. I have 10k+ miles on it so far.

So that kit plus the rear for $250 is the way to go then? I already bought full font PPF.

I don't seem to have the paint issues reported in the thread. I have 10k+ miles on it so far.
Yeah, that carprotectionpro rocker panel and lower door area kit should protect from the front wheel sandblasting, and the rear patch should protect from the rear wheel. You're in SoCal, so not quite the same conditions that most who have issues are facing, unless you drive around the desert!

Yeah, that carprotectionpro rocker panel and lower door area kit should protect from the front wheel sandblasting, and the rear patch should protect from the rear wheel. You're in SoCal, so not quite the same conditions that most who have issues are facing, unless you drive around the desert!

I should have had the rear bumper covered in ppf. Too late now that i applied the carpool lane stickers :(

I'll bet there are some rock chips on the rear, the new tires seem to throw allot more rocks than my mxm4s

Tesla is going to have to recall or warranty just like Toyota
I dunno my Nissan Titan had paint issue, very thin paint lots of complaints like I saw here. Mine didn't start having issues till years later when the clearcoat just started pealing off. Hopefully that does not happen to these teslas but I wouldn't be shocked. Just the wind from 100k miles and like 10 years of sun, removed the paint from behind the cab where nothing touches it, I'm not even sure it had clearcoat on it there.... It was painted THAT thin. It literally just started disappearing from the truck like something had slowly polished it away.

I hope this does not happen wit our cars. See picture in the center of the cab near where it disappears behind the bed. Do I just have bad luck with paint when buying new cars?
IMG_20161016_152500.jpg

I believe this was also blamed on new water based paints, but the truck was a 2005. They should have this stuff figured out by now.