Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Battery Degradation One Month (Story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You only have a fluctuation of 4 miles, and it's pretty much at new car range. I'd say you have a superman battery compared to most of us. Don't forget the range is only an estimation and not an exact science. Don't get wrapped up in worrying about it unless you see a 10% drop or more.
Thanks VT.

So another person with minimal deg and a conservative charging approach.
I am one, too. I generally charge to 76%, supercharge only on trips, and have ~319 miles of range after 11,000 miles. I got the bump to about 325 miles, so I'm down about 2% from new. I'm curious whether frequent rapid discharges affect degredation as well. Hard to know how many of those is "normal." :)

Reactions: KenC
After the post hurricane bump I am down to 292 rated on a LR RWD w/ V10 software. I now have something strange happening with my charging limits. The last 3 charges have resulted in a charge over my limit bar by 2-3% (according to the graphic -- green is past the limit bar). I meant to grab a picture -- will try to remember to do so on my next charge.

After the post hurricane bump I am down to 292 rated on a LR RWD w/ V10 software. I now have something strange happening with my charging limits. The last 3 charges have resulted in a charge over my limit bar by 2-3% (according to the graphic -- green is past the limit bar). I meant to grab a picture -- will try to remember to do so on my next charge.
I’ve seen that too a couple times. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Pic says it all....but Now on ver 10 and yes I do go down to 10-20% and up to 100% once in a while. In fact at the tail end there when it really dips from that last high that was a down to 11% up to 100% so the balance gave much less range. I see many ppl with double the miles of my car that still somehow show 308 ish. I think it depends some of use have pack that not all the cells are still working and some of us do. Remember there was even that recall where they forgot to strap some cells in. So it is reasonable to assume some of us have better overall batteries then others and that accounts for the diff.

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 10.14.01 AM.png

Hey folks,

I gone through the last couple of pages to see if there was a solution to those who experienced differently than OP who had their battery replaced on their Model 3 P under warranty due to defect. It looks like there wasn't any other solid solution, so I'll go ahead and post the following.

I myself am experiencing loss of range with my Model 3 Performance. I'm currently at 266 miles at 90% SOC just yesterday after Supercharging from about 20% SOC with about 10K miles. I exclusively Supercharge since the begining of ownership. I've read and heard to recalibrate, do the voodoo discharge and recharge method that virtually everybody repeats to one another to try and do. That method hardly works for the most of us, me included, to see 310 miles at 100% or 279 miles at 90%. There was also a campaign bulletin SB-18-16-010 Replace High Voltage (HV) Battery which stated that some batteries weren't wired properly, so the reported SOC/miles were inaccurate, but my local Service Center stated that my car built in July 2018 was not part of it.

Now, I found out that another fellow M3P got a solid solution laid out here on Reddit. It basically requires a visit to a service center and for a Tesla technician to do a CAC reset and owner not let SOC dip below 20% SOC for calibration according to internal notes: Perform CAC reset as per article# Toolbox

Note that there's no public access to that article. Hope this helps many of us to get to the bottom of the range loss over time that might not be battery degradation.

Howdy! I'm that fellow M3P owner from Reddit, and I'm sorry to say, that "fix" didn't take. Here's what Teslafi tells me now (if anyone has any ideas, I'm open to them!...SC says nothing's wrong):

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image (2).jpg
    New Bitmap Image (2).jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Informative
Reactions: hoang51
Howdy! I'm that fellow M3P owner from Reddit, and I'm sorry to say, that "fix" didn't take. Here's what Teslafi tells me now (if anyone has any ideas, I'm open to them!...SC says nothing's wrong): Imgur

I'm down to 272 miles at 100% at 19,000 miles. Meanwhile, my wife's 2017 Model X 100D with 40k miles gets 293 miles (out of original 295). Not sure what to do anymore...

• Informative
That's a good idea...Will call them tomorrow...thanks.

I did it on the app and selected a far out service date. They contacted me from the Virtual Service dept and requested data I emailed them TeslaFI charge logs and they are reviewing. Like I said I have no idea what will come of it some say service says it is normal, some say they reset the calibration, some say they got a new battery. In the end we can all have different issues I just think it is worth having it checked remotely just in case there is actually an issue. If they say there is not issue at least if I do have a problem down the road it is documented that I inquired early on about the loss of range. Truthfully my car only seen 279 @ 90% for the first few charges and I have never seen it again in 22k miles. So when I see guys posting they are still seeing 279 or just under at 40k miles I wonder hmm could there be something wrong with my car seems at the very least possible. Also let's remember the guy that started this thread did have a real issue and got a new battery so it is worth having the car checked. Also there was a group of batteries that were not strapped correctly that is a fact so could be a few others here and there did not get strapped correctly. Again worth looking into just in case.

• Helpful
Howdy! I'm that fellow M3P owner from Reddit, and I'm sorry to say, that "fix" didn't take. Here's what Teslafi tells me now (if anyone has any ideas, I'm open to them!...SC says nothing's wrong): Imgur

I'm down to 272 miles at 100% at 19,000 miles. Meanwhile, my wife's 2017 Model X 100D with 40k miles gets 293 miles (out of original 295). Not sure what to do anymore...

What is the range constant on your car?
Usable battery capacity [kWh] / Range constant [Wh/mile] = Rated range [mile]

Here is how to check if you haven't done this yet:

set the SoC to remaining range
start driving, reset the trip meter at the exact moment when the range meter drops a digit, take a note of the number
keep driving smoothly at around 65mph, better don't use high consumers like heating or AC (low consumption makes measurement more accurate)
the longer you drive the better accuracy can be achieved
once you are near the end of your trip, pick a moment when the range meter drops a digit, make a note of this number plus miles driven and the average consumption as per trip meter.

Energy consumed = miles driven * average consumption [Wh/mile] (more accurate than the number in the middle)
Range constant = Energy consumed / (range meter (at trip start) - range meter (at trip end) )

This range constant is 236-240 Wh/mile for new or low mileage cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.