Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Battery Degradation One Month (Story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@N54TT it stopped at 297 on that occasion. I didn't actually notice the 310 theoretical until the next charge (85% is my norm) about 5 days later.

I have a sad update, however, that provides evidence for my Dorian suspicion. I got home from work yesterday with 206 miles of range and did not charge. I did check my theoretical max again and it was at 309 (+ some margin based on the battery graphic). When I got in the car this morning the battery indicator had not moved but my estimated range was down to 197. Takes my theoretical max back down to 296 :(

edit: This is LR RWD btw, so 310 still is not great...296 is straight silly.

Since I have had the car with about 1900miles in (50 days) showing 285 at 100%.... Have tried the calibration process but made no difference. Complained to Tesla and they gave me a standard response so now I'm complaining again. I'm not accepting the fact that calibration takes 5 months (they told me the first time) because after 5mo they will probably say "typical initial degredation" blah blah.

I'm not worried about few miles whatever but 8-9% is a lot.

Tesla service center is disaster in my area (Mississauga, Ontario, Canada)

@N54TT it stopped at 297 on that occasion. I didn't actually notice the 310 theoretical until the next charge (85% is my norm) about 5 days later.

I have a sad update, however, that provides evidence for my Dorian suspicion. I got home from work yesterday with 206 miles of range and did not charge. I did check my theoretical max again and it was at 309 (+ some margin based on the battery graphic). When I got in the car this morning the battery indicator had not moved but my estimated range was down to 197. Takes my theoretical max back down to 296 :(

edit: This is LR RWD btw, so 310 still is not great...296 is straight silly.
I updated to 32.1 last week and the range estimator for my 100% dropped significantly. Tesla is messing with the algorithms, and I don't think anything has changed with the battery. The Energy app is saying I'm consistently getting far better than the new "rated" value. Bottom line, only pay attention to the energy app when trying to figure out how the battery is doing.

Since I have had the car with about 1900miles in (50 days) showing 285 at 100%.... Have tried the calibration process but made no difference. Complained to Tesla and they gave me a standard response so now I'm complaining again. I'm not accepting the fact that calibration takes 5 months (they told me the first time) because after 5mo they will probably say "typical initial degredation" blah blah.

I'm not worried about few miles whatever but 8-9% is a lot.

Tesla service center is disaster in my area (Mississauga, Ontario, Canada)
What vehicle do you have? I ask because I have a theory: they started trying to more accurately estimate range when they enabled the ability to change the type of tire in the Service menu.

The larger tire you have it set to, the worse your range is. A message pops up stating this when you change the setting. 19" tires get roughly 5-10% worse range then the 18" Aeros. 20s are even worse. The 310 mile range on the AWD is assuming you have Aeros.

Reactions: MP3Mike
What vehicle do you have? I ask because I have a theory: they started trying to more accurately estimate range when they enabled the ability to change the type of tire in the Service menu.

The larger tire you have it set to, the worse your range is. A message pops up stating this when you change the setting. 19" tires get roughly 5-10% worse range then the 18" Aeros. 20s are even worse. The 310 mile range on the AWD is assuming you have Aeros.

3 LR AWD 18 With Aero on the 28 version dont have the 31 yet.

My situation seems to be fairly close to the OP's, figured maybe some one can chime in and discuss my bearish trend in range rating... Currently at 2.77% degredation after about a month of use. Purchased car June 29th, car sat till about August 12th when I came back from a vacation.

I daily drive 176 miles a day and use anywhere between 75% to 80% battery which comes out to around 56.25 to 60kW per day. I have a HPWC and when I get home, I'll immediately connect, TeslaFi charges to 80% and then is scheduled to finish off to 95% about 30 mins before I leave for work. With this charge schedule, I'm able to arrive home over 10%, however I have to disable sentry at work. I never use the cabin temp control in fear of not making it home without having to swing by a SC.

Two weeks ago, I tried topping off to around 97% which got me home with around 19-21% and Sentry enabled for the whole work shift, which was nice.

In the beginning I was doing 90% charges, but would uncomfortably get home with around 6-8%, oddly there was no degredation. I figured maybe it needs to be charged to 100% after I get home... But to no avail, it's just slowly decreasing. The drop started to occur shortly after doing 95% charges.

I guess it's also worth noting that my drive to work is around 95-110*F and my drive home is around 67-75*F in the summer (currently). At this rate, I'ma probably have to switch cars with the wife and drive the Camry Hybrid in the winter where the drive to work will be around 45-60*F and the drive home will be 28-45*F.

View attachment 452526

Well, today, I've got the biggest drop in a while. Noticed last night that my range was dropping faster than usual... Decided to add an extra 2% to get home today, bout to leave for work now. Was getting the alert to stay under 75mph or I wouldn't get home for about 70% of my drive home... Not cool. Made it home with the same amount of charge as usual though, but could be because of a few heavy construction traffic zones that popped up last night... Going to have to take the 10 mile longer route home today using the freeway instead of local streets.

Got about 5800 miles on her now. Says estimated range at 100% is about 295. We'll see tomorrow, as I'll top off at 100%

My nearest SC is supposedly monitoring my battery remotely as of sometime last week, but it doesn't seem that way. Will try and talk to my service manager assigned to my car with my due bill for replacement on some other parts battery/charge unrelated today.

Screenshot_20190919-112816.png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Well, today, I've got the biggest drop in a while. Noticed last night that my range was dropping faster than usual... Decided to add an extra 2% to get home today, bout to leave for work now. Was getting the alert to stay under 75mph or I wouldn't get home for about 70% of my drive home... Not cool. Made it home with the same amount of charge as usual though, but could be because of a few heavy construction traffic zones that popped up last night... Going to have to take the 10 mile longer route home today using the freeway instead of local streets.

Got about 5800 miles on her now. Says estimated range at 100% is about 295. We'll see tomorrow, as I'll top off at 100%

My nearest SC is supposedly monitoring my battery remotely as of sometime last week, but it doesn't seem that way. Will try and talk to my service manager assigned to my car with my due bill for replacement on some other parts battery/charge unrelated today.

View attachment 456709

Wow, you don't use cabin temp control, as in no AC when it was 100 degrees out? That's hardcore. I would definitely leave sentry mode off and maybe the cabin overheat protection too. You could probably slow down a little and use AC, It should be able to go 176 miles comfortably unless you're going 85+ mph or something.

Wow, you don't use cabin temp control, as in no AC when it was 100 degrees out? That's hardcore. I would definitely leave sentry mode off and maybe the cabin overheat protection too. You could probably slow down a little and use AC, It should be able to go 176 miles comfortably unless you're going 85+ mph or something.

Nope, I don't find cabin protection control to be of any use... Kind of pointless to me, seems more like a unnecessary luxury. I just keep my windows cracked and hopping in is fine, even with no tint... When it drops below 50*F, I'll probably use it to warm it up a bit so I'm not blasting the heat as hard to get warm. I usually only use heated seats and a heated steering wheel, which we don't even have, sadly.

I'm definitely not a slow driver, I hate being around other drivers, bad. So I generally go 80-85mph. It's kind of disappointing, some days I wanna go faster, but this car limits me from doing so. Doesn't really give much chance to prove the Model 3 Performance when a random tuned car flies past me while I'm going 80. My previous ICE vehicle was fun easily catching up to people doing this and passing them with some ease... This car are much faster, but once you hit 120s, it falls on its face, making me wonder if the car can really even go faster than the lower trim levels... Doesn't seem like it could, but it should. I just put the car in AP at 85mph and ignore everyone on the road flying past me. Sucks doing that in a car meant to be driven, the entire reason I got a Performance model... Oh well...

Anyways, first month, I was able to use sentry, only charge to 90% and easily get to and from work, with a higher cruising speed regardless of AC. Currently doing 95-97% charges still and 100% on Fridays, speed is 85mph AP, AC usually used during the day and heated seat at night.

I feel that 100% charges will be the norm in the next few months. Then eventually Supercharging every night for an extra 10-25% just to get home going 75mph.

We'll see...

Haven't contacted my SC yet.

Nope, I don't find cabin protection control to be of any use... Kind of pointless to me, seems more like a unnecessary luxury. I just keep my windows cracked and hopping in is fine, even with no tint... When it drops below 50*F, I'll probably use it to warm it up a bit so I'm not blasting the heat as hard to get warm. I usually only use heated seats and a heated steering wheel, which we don't even have, sadly.

I'm definitely not a slow driver, I hate being around other drivers, bad. So I generally go 80-85mph. It's kind of disappointing, some days I wanna go faster, but this car limits me from doing so. Doesn't really give much chance to prove the Model 3 Performance when a random tuned car flies past me while I'm going 80. My previous ICE vehicle was fun easily catching up to people doing this and passing them with some ease... This car are much faster, but once you hit 120s, it falls on its face, making me wonder if the car can really even go faster than the lower trim levels... Doesn't seem like it could, but it should. I just put the car in AP at 85mph and ignore everyone on the road flying past me. Sucks doing that in a car meant to be driven, the entire reason I got a Performance model... Oh well...

Anyways, first month, I was able to use sentry, only charge to 90% and easily get to and from work, with a higher cruising speed regardless of AC. Currently doing 95-97% charges still and 100% on Fridays, speed is 85mph AP, AC usually used during the day and heated seat at night.

I feel that 100% charges will be the norm in the next few months. Then eventually Supercharging every night for an extra 10-25% just to get home going 75mph.

We'll see...

Haven't contacted my SC yet.

I’d just slow down 5 mph on the way there or way back and not sweat it. I’ve went over 300 miles on a charge P3D- so 176 shouldn’t be a problem. I guess that’s the other thing, you could sell the 20s, get the 19s basically look the same and save yourself some stress.

Reactions: Electroman
I’d just slow down 5 mph on the way there or way back and not sweat it. I’ve went over 300 miles on a charge P3D- so 176 shouldn’t be a problem. I guess that’s the other thing, you could sell the 20s, get the 19s basically look the same and save yourself some stress.

Yeah, I have some 19" wheels that weigh about 10lbs less per corner, tires included. I just need to replace all 4 tires since they were used on my previous car that was RWD, so the rear tires (2/32, pretty much bald) have a much bigger variance in tread depth to the fronts (6-7/32, lots of life left)... Although I've heard that with Tesla's, it's okay to have a difference between front and rear tread depths due to the separate motors, as long as it's not left to right variance...

Only thing is, they don't have as aerodynamic of a face design as the Model 3.

Overall, I wonder how much range improvement I'd see. On my ICE vehicle it was less efficiency due to less rotational mass to keep momentum... But Tesla's don't coast, but instead Regen... Probably make a huge difference, for the better!

Really starting to think the updates are changing the battery range algorithms, they must really be testing on how to give the most accurate readout to owners, possibly based on driving habits and not on the manufacturer/EPA rated range...? But maybe that's just me being too optimistic.

Anyways, Black Dahlia is on her first tier of charging for the night till her scheduling for a 97% SoC is enabled before work. I'm at another ATL with an outstanding 295 miles of range.

Also attached is more evidence backing the theory of updates changing battery range estimates... Previous post shows first major dips at 28.3.1 and below is the day I updated to 32.2.1 with a massive bearish dip...

Screenshot_20190923-033622.png

Screenshot_20190923-033642.png

Got 3 to 4 others showing graphs where they had big drops in their 100% SoC rating after updating software... I'm not going to sweat it for now... Seems like Tesla playing with some algorithms... Hopefully.

Another Tesla worker says that theyre known bugs and are working on the issue.

Reactions: gecko10x
I do regular checks of the battery health and during the 10 months of ownership, my 90% SOC was always showing 279 miles, sometime, a bit more. Last time I checked was on August 22nd and it showed 279 miles.

Today my 90% SOC dropped at 270 miles. I currently have 9500 miles.

I haven't changed a thing beside that I started early September a 100 miles daily commute 3 to 4 times per week. I charge at 70% and come back home at 30% and charge overnight on a 220v 24A.

I'm wondering if my battery became suddenly off balance or if the last software update messed up the estimation.

Status
Not open for further replies.