Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hopefully this is not true, first person to say the suspension is more comfortable on the LR and so are the seats….
I have driven the LR 3x in the last 2 weeks and the seats are very good. I have not driven the M3P but I have sat in the seats and those seats are very supportive (more bolsters) BUT not as soft as the LR seats. I may change my mind once I get to drive the M3P.

with $7500 off, you would be crazy not to get the M3P. I bet running 19s would make it ride like the LR

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I can agree with most of your concerns, especially the painting over debris, that doesn't sound good at all, while i would be interested in seeing a pic of that out of curiosity.

Where i don't agree is your issue with orange peel. I get it, you don't want to have to spend the money after you buy a new car for paint correction. Most new cars have some degree of orange peel with their clear coat. If we're talking a Bentley, or Ferrari or any high end auto manufacturer, no, they will buff the clear coat before it leaves the factory so that there won't be ANY orange peel. Every car I've ever bought new had some degree of orange peel. I'm 100% ok with it. Why? Cause unfortunately i couldn't afford a Ferrari, and i know it can be easily corrected by having the car buffed out.

I'm not a car detailer but I've had several cars (bought new and bought used) paint corrected. Some of them needed intense correction because of swirl marks, some just light correction to remove orange peel.
The defect that got my attention isn't getting fixed with a buffer. We're talking sanding, painting & finishing. Everyone has a threshold for what is acceptable. I'm certainly not a hater, I own the car, and the stock. I believe in the mission, but as long as the customers accept bad QC, it's not going to improve. The paint on my 22 M3LR is better than what I saw today, and it's not great. Watch the Hans & Franz video closely, right when they're talking about the rear spoiler, you can see the orange peel on the trunk lid very briefly. This is a 55k or more car. You would think that the star of your promotional video would get some extra love. My 2017 Fiesta had better paint. My god awful 2005 Jeep Liberty that's been sitting outside for 19 years has better paint. I mean the parts that aren't rusting. I would really like see the paint quality that comes out of Berlin. I have to believe it's better. Different market with consumers that have been exposed to better quality. YMMV.

Last edited:
Reactions: jv92red

Hopefully this is not true, first person to say the suspension is more comfortable on the LR and so are the seats….
Everything about how a suspension feels is subjective. One persons "sporty" is another persons "it sucks, I feel every bump in the road!"

The only people I would even pay a little attention to related to suspension discussion (beside how it feels for "me" which is really the only thing that matters for my own car) is a professional reviewer, with experience, whom I have already figured out has similar taste as I do for suspension.

The willingness of people to listen to random "youtubers" for subjective stuff still amazes me. I get watching someones draggy 0-60, but "I prefer the LR?" thats great for them, but it shouldnt mean anything to anyone else.

I have driven the LR 3x in the last 2 weeks and the seats are very good. I have not driven the M3P but I have sat in the seats and those seats are very supportive (more bolsters) BUT not as soft as the LR seats. I may change my mind once I get to drive the M3P.

Regardless, I am still looking forward for mine to arrive.
I noticed that seat ergonomics are very good in the new LR; it’s a place that you could easily sit in for a long time. They are way better than the last generation seats. I also sat in the new M3P in the show room for a couple of minutes and you could immediately tell how thick and squishy the performance seats where, yet they were supportive at the same time. One thing I didn’t really like about the new seats is how much they hug you from the sides and for some reason I kept sliding off forward 😂. Could be the type of clothing I was wearing at the time.

Reactions: Raptor911
Everyone has a threshold for what is acceptable. I'm certainly not a hater, I own the car, and the stock. I believe in the mission, but as long as the customers accept bad QC, it's not going to improve. The paint on my 22 M3LR is better than what I saw today, and it's not great. Watch the Hans & Franz video closely, right when they're talking about the rear spoiler, you can see the orange peel on the trunk lid very briefly. This is a 55k or more car. You would think that the star of your promotional video would get some extra love. My 2017 Fiesta had better paint. My god awful 2005 Jeep Liberty that's been sitting outside for 19 years has better paint. I mean the parts that aren't rusting. I would really like see the paint quality that comes out of Berlin. I have to believe it's better. Different market with consumers that have been exposed to better quality. YMMV.
I hear ya. For what it's worth I've owned 3 BMW's over my life (1996 328i, 2010 M3, 2017 M240i) and ALL of them had some degree of orange peel.

Quick question, with those low profile tires , how does the ride feel? Do you feel confident going over speed bumps/ uneven road? Small potholes? These would be the lowest profile tires I ever have. I had 20, 21 wheels before, but they are at least 40 profile. Never had 30 before.
I’ve driven over small-medium potholes, medium sized speed bumps and steep inclines + speed bumps lol. No scraping the front floor so far! 5inches of clearance is just enough if you drive slow over them. My new video shows me going over bumps :)

Last edited:

with $7500 off, you would be crazy not to get the M3P. I bet running 19s would make it ride like the LR
I wonder if you can put 18 on there 😂

Reactions: Raptor911
3.04 0-60 on a gravely LA road is really impressive. He didn’t show the number with rollout subtracted, but it was probably 2.85 ish, so this car is beating Tesla’s speed claims. I am really looking forward to the first person to post times from a drag strip or similarly prepped surface. Would love to see 2.9 0-60 and 10.9 1/4 mile times. It feels like it’s there, I’d just want to see it haha.
Thanks for sharing! Sub 11 would be 🔥. Fastest on dragy leaderboard currently is 11.03. I’ll see what my car can do on the strip Hopefully soon.

I finally took delivery and drove over 200 miles with my SG/white M3P (plus had a supercharging stop), and it was SO worth the wait. here's my impressions so far:

pros:
- acceleration is silly fun and never gets old.
- handling and suspension are fantastic. The ride is leaps and bounds better than the pre-refresh M3P. steering is very precise with lots of customization for dynamics.
- Tesla nailed the performance seats. they are sooooo good.
- not a single panel gap or alignment issue anywhere on the car. build quality feels vastly improved overall. everything works as expected!
- the white interior is stellar.
- sound system is the best in its class.
- the delivery center was busy but I was still in and out in 15 minutes.

cons:
- car had 26 miles on the odometer at delivery and autopilot was already calibrated.
- only had 58% state of charge when delivered.
- at around 100 miles, a mysterious buzzing sound started from the dashboard/speaker array but went away. will monitor this.
- the glovebox is hilariously small with a narrow opening.
- wish the seats went lower to the floor. I feel like I sit too high and I'm only 5'9". YMMV.
- the ventilated/cooled function is just alright. the max setting is the only one I could actually feel.
- the windshield glare from the silver trim along the ambient lighting is distracting and right in my line of sight. gonna get a dash mat to see if that helps.
- no brightness levels to the ambient lighting.

all in all, what a relief to finally have my car. I truly couldn't be happier and can't wait for everyone else to experience this. pictures to come after tints and ceramic 😁

Last edited: