Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 performance ride quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My main evidence is the configurator no longer shows the option and they even altered the car image to match the ride height of the LR.

It would be nice if a mid Feb or later build can determine the part numbers from their suspension and compare it to the parts catalog as a firm verification.

It's possible since you took delivery in Feb 2022 your car still had the spec which contained the lowered suspension at your time of order.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Is it marked somewhere on the suspension? I took delivery in February 2022, I could take a look.

That said, there's plenty of evidence that for at least a few years the M3P height wasn't really any lower than the LR or SR

i have to disagree with this.

i had a 3/2020 m3p with ps4s. i now have a 2/2022 m3p with ps4s. same ride height. i have posted photos measuring this. when i had the zeros on my new 2022 i measured the ride height and it was higher than my 2/2020. the zeros are stretched onto the wheel and it gives them impression of the ride height being higher than it really is.

just because a blog posts it up and many people retweet it does not make it true.
Yeah I’m not sure how low these things were before, but my ‘22 seems fairly low.

Attachments

• 4B571DF9-2DF9-4A87-8423-7B6AE91DE620.jpeg
    4B571DF9-2DF9-4A87-8423-7B6AE91DE620.jpeg
    609.6 KB · Views: 166
I have a 2021 M3 LR sitting on 18" rims and it is def a much harsher ride than my previous Hyundai Sonata. Can feel every pot hole and bump in the road for sure, not even a comparison. You get used to it though. It also makes you more cognizant of bad roads which is probably a good thing so you don't beat up your suspension and tires like you would if you couldn't feel anything.

This is all relative to what you are accustomed to, my previous car was a BMW M4 with 19" RFT's...now that's a stiff ride! I think my M3P is a much smoother ride but if I was coming from something like my wife's Lexus SUV which is akin to driving a sofa down the road I guess I would feel differently. It's a GREAT car but it all depends on what matters most to you. There is no car that checks all the boxes for everyone.

I test drove the car, perf, around the streets of NYC including two cobblestone roads. It’s way more compliant than my Y Perf. Configured and ordered, red with black interior. I considered white but we have dogs.

So much easier than the dealership experiences for comparably priced cars. I looked at the Polestar 2, Volvo, Hyundai, Kia and Mustang. I’m not a Tesla fan boi but the car was just a bit better at everything inclusive of price.

I didn't care for the stock ride characteristics of the 3P or LR. Bought the 3P for the motor/performance/brakes, and then swapped in the coilovers.

20" wheels on Ohlins suspension feels phenomenal compared to stock P/LR. I imagine 19" wheels likely would be even comfier.

Compared to my wife's 2020 X3, my M3P ride is way better.

FYI, I'm driving on greater Boston roads.

This is all relative to what you are accustomed to, my previous car was a BMW M4 with 19" RFT's...now that's a stiff ride! I think my M3P is a much smoother ride but if I was coming from something like my wife's Lexus SUV which is akin to driving a sofa down the road I guess I would feel differently. It's a GREAT car but it all depends on what matters most to you. There is no car that checks all the boxes for everyone.
You sure it had run flats on, last I checked M cars specifically didn't have them fitted.

Per my purchase agreement the $250 got added to the overall price. Does seem to be a hidden up charge.
This is what I got. It's the config price, plus doc and delivery, plus 250 = my total. Oddly, it shows as a fee and is in the total price paid as additional 250 bucks then in the detail it subtracts it back out. It's as though you put 0 out on the deposit.

Wow, I can't believe they add it and subtract it. I'm gonna call them, 250 bucks is 250 bucks.

The M3P feels to me like a sporty BMW, not quite M stiff, but like an "M Sports" type package. My previous ride was a Mustang GT with Magneride suspension and that's pretty magical, I'd love for Tesla to offer some kind of adaptive tech on the TM3, even if it was an extra $$$ option, or maybe increase the price of the P and make it standard.

I've had a lot of performance cars, and a pretty wide range of modifications, and the M3P is a very good ride relative to the handling performance. It doesn't even register to my wife, she doesn't care, she loves the car (she has a Wrangler 4xe so neither ride is "cushy").

The white interior is pretty magical, I'm not a huge fan of it with a red exterior (I'd go black, when get a high quality carbon overlay for the wood ...), it really is a better experience, but I get the concern over dealing with young kids, pets, etc., to be honest, I don't think it would make that much difference vs. black in terms of temperature, I'm in FL, when it's hot and the car is sitting outside, it's __hot__, doesn't matter if the interior is white or not, plus you can do a remote temp check, opens the windows, fire up the AC :D

Congrats on the new ride!

Reactions: Zer0t