Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance steering way too quick?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody feel that the steering and the front end change of direction is extremely quick, to the point of being nervous?

I'd only driven it in Norway, where the roads are cold and wet and slushy, and I accepted that grip was low. But I took it across the continent where its much drier and the feeling of dartiness and eagerness from the front end is the same, and the in turns you could sense it could break grip easily. It's also as high as 10*C there.

I wrote steering in the title, but it's a combination of everything. The ratio seems quick. The front end seems very light, with low inertia, and overall car has low polar moment. Basically it turns like it has a short wheelbase, with vertical caster.

In general those are positive characteristics - but in moderate doses. The car doesn't feel planted or hunkered down. And its lack of roll doesnt give the impression that it starts to "bite" or "dig into" a turn. Rather, you turn the wheel and the car just rotates.

I'm not unfamiliar with sporty cars, because my Honda S2000 and gen 3 Renaultsport Megane with Cup chassis both felt "on rails". They seemed more stable and planted and stuck to their lines.

No problem suspected with alignent, as the car just came out of factory, and on good condition roads it tracks extremely straight and true. Just that it feels like gliding on the surface rather than sticking to it.

Odd factor out is that tires are Nokian Hakka R3 with full-tread. They are already scrubbed in at 3000km, so its not a matter of newness. I've never ran winter tires this extreme, so i don't know if it's all due to these tall treads squirming around. But it certainly doesn't inspire confidence.

• Disagree
Reactions: preilly44
Didn't have a problem with previous winter tires: Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4, Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D. Same tread depth. Similar sizes.

Although they are not this extreme in the class.

Okay. Don’t know what else to tell you. Squishy Winter tires on a performance vehicle in cold weather. 10 degrees isn’t exactly warm and I’m sure it dips below that a night causing the roads to be slick from the change in temps.

Try putting some performance tires on the car, driving it on a sunny day, on dry roads, and get back to us.

Anybody feel that the steering and the front end change of direction is extremely quick, to the point of being nervous?

I sort of agree with what you're saying, but i wouldn't say it's nervous. The steering and car feel pretty light for being 4100 pounds, but i really enjoy that aspect and it's part of what makes me call it a go-kart.

The stock suspension definitely has a decent bit of body roll though, you should try to test drive a car with aftermarket coilovers and/or sway bars installed, but that may be tough given your location.

It sounds like the older winter tires you got were more sporty - Hakkas tend to be better in snow but less good on pavement.
Those other tires were definitely engineered with more sporting intent. They were also rated for speeds 3 classes higher.

The Hakkas definitely has lower roadholding in constant radius turns. But what surprised me was on turn-in, instead of being squishy and lagging the steering input, it seems to be too responsive.

I'm finding it hard to articulate the sensation. It's basically like a shopping car that pivots on 4 wheels. It stays flat and can just rotate left right left at-will.

The tires have been running at 44psi. I might drop it 38-40psi to dampen the behavior a bit, at the risk of less wheel protection

Reactions: kbecks13
I have also observed the steering being quick in the M3 Performance and have a history of autocrossing and track events. I went from a BMW 340i xDrive (with 20-inch wheels) as my daily driver to the M3P. During the first week, I clipped curbs on my daily route that I had hadn't clipped before. I have gotten used to the car, but over the weekend my wife commented that I drive this car much more carefully and less aggressive than my other cars. She's right, I don't turn into corners nearly aggressive. I haven't tracked or autocrossed the M3P yet, so maybe my driving style will change once I'm more comfortable with the steering.

GLM

What size tires do you have, and what size tires are you used to? If 20's, that may be the cause of your discomfort. So little sidewall to deflect during turn-in that it will by much more crisp. Personally, I wouldn't expect anyone ordering a Performance would think of fast turn in as being anything other than desirable.

I was just thinking the other day how my LR AWD with OEM 19's is extremely quick turning off center. I do remember letting someone in the family drive it and they couldn't help weaving back and forth since they were used to their Toyota SUV that wasn't so quick.

It was definitely a choice by the engineers at Tesla. I don't see any alignment or tires making a difference. You would need to change out the steering rack to one with a different ratio to make a meaningful change.