Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Test Drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just scheduled a test drive in a performance model for Monday at the Park Meadows store in CO. According to the sales advisor I’ll be one of the first to drive it.
I test drove a Model S today, as we were walking back to the showroom we saw the Model 3 charging in the parking lot. I asked if I could schedule one, they called me a couple hours later.

If you can do it earlier see if they will let you. I actually called Park Meadows, I am a current owner of a RWD 3 (also previously owned an S) and I will be doing my Test Drive tomorrow morning. I did call them, they did not reach out to me.

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8
For me, they contacted me via phone. Soonest evening appointment they had open was Monday. They're booked this week.

I'm in no hurry, I'll have my own soon enough. Although, I've never actually driven a Tesla or any EV for that matter.
Wait... I guess I drove an electric golf cart once, that doesn't count does it?

Test drives for the M3 performance variant are now available at the Tesla store in Century City. I’ve decided against taking a test drive. Want my first drive off the lot to be up PCH and Latino Canyon.

Any of other SoCal members here order M3 Performance with PUP! Would love to organize an M3 Performance only meet up!

Test drives for the M3 performance variant are now available at the Tesla store in Century City. I’ve decided against taking a test drive. Want my first drive off the lot to be up PCH and Latino Canyon.

Any of other SoCal members here order M3 Performance with PUP! Would love to organize an M3 Performance only meet up!

Same here. Not scheduling a test drive. Just like my MX, I want my first time driving this car to be MY car! That feeling of the unknown that turns into realization is exhilarating! I have a P3+ on order and live in the OC.

My daughter and SIL are scheduled to test drive the P3D this Wednesday at the Buena Park, Ca store/service center.
Called my SIL tonight about the test drive. He said I am confused, the test drive is at 11am tomorrow, Thursday! Daughter can't go because of work commitments. He said he doesn't expect a long leisurely drive. When they test drove the P100D it was about 1.5 miles on surface streets around the store! He said the drive lasted less than 10 minutes! He expects the same tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Called my SIL tonight about the test drive. He said I am confused, the test drive is at 11am tomorrow, Thursday! Daughter can't go because of work commitments. He said he doesn't expect a long leisurely drive. When they test drove the P100D it was about 1.5 miles on surface streets around the store! He said the drive lasted less than 10 minutes! He expects the same tomorrow.
That's most of what I got, too, with my 100D test drive (their P100 was out at the time for the while). I did get out on a short loop down the Interstate & back, though. With wife and I swapping spots at the service road U-turn. That was over a year ago, and it had took a couple months to finally get a call back on the test drive. I think they stay fairly tightly booked, locally.

I'm going to call in tomorrow and explain the test drive as an already ordered AWD vs the P decision. That's assuming they have one here, yet.

Thanks for finding that!

Kind of reinforces the idea it's related to optimizing the 20s geometry wise- rather than a "performance tuned" lowered spring/shock thing...guess we wait for more updates to clarify though

Gotta agree. It is not reasonable to think Tesla would lower a vehicle 1 cm for performance purposes. If it is part of the 20” tire package and rear fore links, people with RWD Model 3s have purchased the 20” package from the Tesla store. Ask them if their vehicles are now 1 cm lower.

Reactions: ℬête Noire

What if my spoiler isn’t installed, dual motor badge removed and calipers painted black.

Will I be treated as a spy? :D

Yes, per Elon it is an induction motor in the front not switched reluctance like the AWD. Also different inverters vs AWD for both front and rear motors. And they pick the highest output switched reluctance motors for the rear.

Elon said exactly the opposite of everything you just said.

It's exactly the same motors between the P and AWD. Inverters included. (becuase he said drive unit- which includes both inverter and motor)- only difference is software.

If they weren't the same physical part it'd make no sense to "lot sort" them. It also wouldn't make sense the eMPG is the same between P and AWD if the motors were entirely different types.

• Funny
Reactions: SigNC and JeffK
This hasn't been established.
Not only is it not established, but it's false according to the tweet.
Elon Musk on Twitter
AC induction front & switched reluctance, partial permanent magnet rear. Silicon Carbide inverters in both. Performance drive units are lot sorted for highest sigma output & get double the burn-in.

Hardware is the same. (drive units include inverter)

Gotta agree. It is not reasonable to think Tesla would lower a vehicle 1 cm for performance purposes. If it is part of the 20” tire package and rear fore links, people with RWD Model 3s have purchased the 20” package from the Tesla store. Ask them if their vehicles are now 1 cm lower.

While still speculation at this point, looking at MKBHD's pictures released yesterday of a M3P "out in the wild" there still appears to be "gap." While there was chatter about a recent video of a M3P walk around showing significant gap due to shipping blocks, it appears to still be there during a review (I would hope the shipping blocks were removed at this point).