Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Test Drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry my post wasn't very clear, as you missed every point I tried to make. I'll try once more and then take my own advice.

My point is that you can lot sort just the motors (a single part), then combine them with the rest of the drive unit and you will have, in some sense, a "lot sorted drive unit."

No, I got that point.

It just doesn't change the result.

At that point you're still sorting the same part. The motor going in each unit is still the same part, just sorted. So it also would not support the idea the motors are any different between models.

You're stuck on one interpretation of Elon's tweet (which may very well be correct), but it's also possible he just shortened it instead of spelling out exactly which part of the drive unit was lot sorted.

Motor is fewer characters than drive unit... so that suggestion also doesn't hold up to examination.

if he used the longer name it's probably because it's what he actually meant.

I mean- literally every fact we have to go on supports the notion the drive units are exactly the same between P and non-P cars other than being lot sorted. Every single piece.

There's not a single piece of actual evidence even suggesting otherwise.

Not to mention how much easier/simpler it makes things from a manufacturing speed/simplicity perspective.

This is reminding me of the "I'm sure it must have a HUD" thing at this point. Folks just "want to believe" something for which all the evidence says otherwise so they're gonna insist we "don't know" even though they're unable to support their argument with anything other than that.

Use the ignore feature. Several threads have become much easier to follow and read.
I don't necessarily want to ignore him as I don't feel like his posts are trolling, which is normally what I save the ignore feature for.

He has his interpretation, and he very well may be correct - I'm not taking a side either way, just saying that no one here knows for sure and Elon's tweets can often be taken in multiple ways.

I don't necessarily want to ignore him as I don't feel like his posts are trolling, which is normally what I save the ignore feature for.

Fair enough.

He has his interpretation, and he very well may be correct - I'm not taking a side either way, just saying that no one here knows for sure and Elon's tweets can often be taken in multiple ways.

Mostly easier. There's an odd artifact that you'll occasionally encounter a series of posts that look like people are having endlessly circular arguments with their imaginary frienemy. ;)

Haha! So true! When it appears that people are talking to themselves, that's when I know there's ignored content.

No, I got that point.

It just doesn't change the result.

At that point you're still sorting the same part. The motor going in each unit is still the same part, just sorted. So it also would not support the idea the motors are any different between models.

Motor is fewer characters than drive unit... so that suggestion also doesn't hold up to examination.

if he used the longer name it's probably because it's what he actually meant.

I mean- literally every fact we have to go on supports the notion the drive units are exactly the same between P and non-P cars other than being lot sorted. Every single piece.

There's not a single piece of actual evidence even suggesting otherwise.

Not to mention how much easier/simpler it makes things from a manufacturing speed/simplicity perspective.

This is reminding me of the "I'm sure it must have a HUD" thing at this point. Folks just "want to believe" something for which all the evidence says otherwise so they're gonna insist we "don't know" even though they're unable to support their argument with anything other than that.
One last time unto the breach, I swear :D

As far as I can tell, no one is arguing that the motors are different. What they are saying is that the other components in the drive unit might be (mainly the inverter). Elon's tweet about "Silicon Carbide inverters in both" seems to me to suggest that both the front and rear drive units in the performance version have different/better inverters than the non-performance versions. Other interpretations are possible but that makes the most sense with regards to the original question asking about the physical setup of the performance model. If all three models have the same inverter then why mention it at all?

One last time unto the breach, I swear :D

As far as I can tell, no one is arguing that the motors are different.

Sure they are. Like this guy-

Yes, per Elon it is an induction motor in the front not switched reluctance like the AWD. .

This claim is obviously wrong though, as they're at least the same type of motor in the front on both P and AWD.

What they are saying is that the other components in the drive unit might be (mainly the inverter). Elon's tweet about "Silicon Carbide inverters in both" seems to me to suggest that both the front and rear drive units in the performance version have different/better inverters than the non-performance versions.

Nope.

About the SiC MOSFETs modules in Tesla Model 3

Teardowns of the RWD Model 3 already confirmed the inverter in the drive unit is using silicon carbide.

The link mentions this was actually available info dating back to 2017, but nobody seemed to have noticed.

all rear model 3 DUs have SiC inverters. Since they're the same physical DUs, just lot sorted.

Same with the fronts.

Again- there's a fair bit of evidence supporting that Elon meant exactly what he said- and literally none to support the idea he didn't mean just what he said.

If all three models have the same inverter then why mention it at all?

Probably to confirm the one they were already using in the rear would also be used in the front motor (across all Model 3s that have front motors of course, just like it's used across all of em with rear motors).

Notice he also said lot sorted and double burn in...and as BN pointed out-

"
I'd expect that the "burn-in" would be done at the drive unit level. To make sure the heat management in the drive unit, oil circulation, physical gears, etc. is all tested, too.

Last edited:
I like pie
I like turtles.

i love lamp

I eat turtle pie by lamp light.
I'd like to get back on topic!

This is weird! After a test drive in a MS P100D last weekend, my SIL showed up for a test drive in a P3D yesterday at the prescribed time. He was told, "we don't have any Performance models at this location, but you can test a 3LR." What The Frunk! The ISA could/would give no further explanation!

So, he test drove the 3LR. This test drive model just arrived and they have a reservation list to drive it. He was able to take it out on the I5 and drive it for about 8 miles. He loved it! Although not as fast off the line as the P100D, it will press you back in the seat when you floor it and is more agile and "sporty" than the P100D. He said the 3LR is deceiving, the car is so quiet and smooth, he was shocked to look over at the screen and see he was doing 80 on the freeway. There is no sense of speed. He doesn't understand why anyone would pay for something faster unless they were going to track race the car as a hobby. He thinks he will use both "standard" and "sport" modes of steering depending on the circumstances - around town = standard, freeway = sport. He said the following things will take some getting used to for him - the small size of the rear view mirror, the turn signal protocol, and the U.I. music interface. He thought everything else was perfect.

He should have his own 3LR in about 4 to 6 weeks. It can't come soon enough for him. He said he is going to have his lowered about an 1".

Request: Whoever gets to drive a Performance (and ideally "X2" Performance), please ask the Tesla employee to show you if/where the Sport/Whatever switch is in the firmware (if there is one). I haven't heard/seen any reviewers mention it and for our vehicle we're interested in different settings for the drivers in our household. Thanks.

Request: Whoever gets to drive a Performance (and ideally "X2" Performance), please ask the Tesla employee to show you if/where the Sport/Whatever switch is in the firmware (if there is one). I haven't heard/seen any reviewers mention it and for our vehicle we're interested in different settings for the drivers in our household. Thanks.
If you don't get an answer before Monday morning send me a PM to remind me and I'll ask.

Reactions: jdmasters
If you don't get an answer before Monday morning send me a PM to remind me and I'll ask.
Thanks for the offer! I think we have our answer in the last day or so.

Chill, Normal, Sport
There were two (twitter/reddit) comments referencing Chill and Sport by name. One of the two referenced "normal" but it wasn't clear if that was the actual name or not.

Track Mode
Multiple screenshots of this.

From the reviews it sounds like Sport feels somewhere between an original P85D Insane and an upgraded P85D Ludicrous.
Track sounds like an upgraded version of the RWD S setting to disable Traction Control. I really wish I had Track Mode in my P100D (and the P85D when I had it).

Thanks for the offer! I think we have our answer in the last day or so.

Chill, Normal, Sport
There were two (twitter/reddit) comments referencing Chill and Sport by name. One of the two referenced "normal" but it wasn't clear if that was the actual name or not.
This post-drive live stream clearly mentioned absence of any Ludicrous mode.
Which is nice: no need to plan or stage anything. Just go, fast. Am sure that partly takes away the anticipation building up as you put on a production for your passengers of enabling Ludicrous or Insane modes.
But frankly, getting full performance whenever you need/want it is better. This is just a car, and it just works. :)