Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to admit... the main thing that's worrying me about picking up an end of year car is that they may have thrown quality control out the window. I'm assuming the gaps are fixable by them after the fact?

Someone mentioned that the delivery center can do some repairs... wonder if anyone can tell us more about that so we know our options when we get there?

What the heck with the paint, though, did the detailer guy drop his cloth on the ground and say 'f-it, 3 second rule'...?

I had some pretty noticeable gaps in the frunk and miss alignment on the front passenger door. Tesla Service was able to tighten adjust. Gave me a $100 Uber voucher while I waited which was only about an hour or so. Problem areas are resolved. And this was set to be a demo car that was never used as such.

Reactions: RefreshedP
I have to admit... the main thing that's worrying me about picking up an end of year car is that they may have thrown quality control out the window. I'm assuming the gaps are fixable by them after the fact?

Someone mentioned that the delivery center can do some repairs... wonder if anyone can tell us more about that so we know our options when we get there?

What the heck with the paint, though, did the detailer guy drop his cloth on the ground and say 'f-it, 3 second rule'...?

if they have a service center at your delivery center, then it’s possible they can make slight adjustments.

I had some pretty noticeable gaps in the frunk and miss alignment on the front passenger door. Tesla Service was able to tighten adjust. Gave me a $100 Uber voucher while I waited which was only about an hour or so. Problem areas are resolved. And this was set to be a demo car that was never used as such.
Do you by chance have any pics before and after of the right front passenger door? Was the problem area up top underneath the mirror?

Reluctantly picked up my M3P today. My son was super excited so I caved and accepted it and will deal with the issues in the coming weeks. Typical panel gaps on all 4 doors even though there "within spec" A butcher for a detailer etc. Paint defects, at least one that I spotted. The last pic is of another M3P that came in with similar issues. But the car is a blast to drive even though weather has been crappy all day. Winters were mounted as soon as I got home.

Did you check the hub bore size? Is it different from 64.1mm"

Do you by chance have any pics before and after of the right front passenger door? Was the problem area up top underneath the mirror?

I have a before picture of the door. It may look minuscule but if you looked at it from the direct side it was very noticeable. I'll take some after photos today. You notice at the black trim and middle of the doors don't exactly match. Also somehow the bottom rocker panel was damaged. Mobile service is coming to replace it on the 28th.

Attachments

• InkedIMG_3204[4981]_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_3204[4981]_LI.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3177.jpg
    IMG_3177.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 80
Reluctantly picked up my M3P today. My son was super excited so I caved and accepted it and will deal with the issues in the coming weeks. Typical panel gaps on all 4 doors even though there "within spec" A butcher for a detailer etc. Paint defects, at least one that I spotted. The last pic is of another M3P that came in with similar issues. But the car is a blast to drive even though weather has been crappy all day. Winters were mounted as soon as I got home.

I went with the same set of winters - Fast FC04 I went 18x9 in black. I don't have them on yet and this is the first pic I've seen on a M3P - looks awesome!

Tire and Wheels weighs in at 45lbs vs 54 on the Ubers

Anyone on the East Coast order prior to Dec 8 and still not have a VIN? Chances of seeing a vehicle in 2020 have to be significantly reduced at this point given the transportation logistics.
well I do know, a bunch of us got VINs yesterday. a Large batch of Perf were built. i ordered 10/22. my delivery window is now the 24-30th. I would say if you dont have a vin come Monday, it will be hard to get the car to SC in that amount of time, UNLESS its already on its way like the situation in florida and GA. however, look in the inventory as there some demo cars available.

like this one if your like the color combo......

2021 Model 3 | Tesla

Thanks. I did reach out to sales about this demo as well as the similar one (which is also my exact configuration) in Atlanta. No help whatsoever, even when getting someone directly on the phone. Maybe asking for a couple of photos is too much work considering all of the selling they are doing every day! ;-)

Anyone change their exterior color choice prior to receiving a VIN? I decided to make the change this morning and hope it will not delay the delivery. I ordered Oct 16. No VIN yet and the expected delivery prior to the color change request was 5-9 weeks from Oct 16.

Thanks. I did reach out to sales about this demo as well as the similar one (which is also my exact configuration) in Atlanta. No help whatsoever, even when getting someone directly on the phone. Maybe asking for a couple of photos is too much work considering all of the selling they are doing every day! ;-)
That might be a lot to ask actually because the car is in another state. but I do understand your position about wanting to see it before buying. however I believe, you can buy that one or be matched to it, and if you dont like it just reject it. but again, I do get your point of wanting to see it at least in pictures before committing

I learned from my mistake back in Dec '19 for accepting my 2020 LR AWD during the rushed Q4 when tax incentives ended. I begrudgingly accepted mine with about a dozen paint defects which caused the 2 right passenger doors and trunk lid to be resprayed, as well as having the front bumper replaced. I'm planning to sell mine in a year after depreciation slows down and get a Performance, hopefully with more added features.

If the car is not perfect to my liking or requires a respray, I'm going to reject it, be patient, and wait for another assigned VIN. I paid a lot of money, so I should expect the same quality in return.

That might be a lot to ask actually because the car is in another state. but I do understand your position about wanting to see it before buying. however I believe, you can buy that one or be matched to it, and if you dont like it just reject it. but again, I do get your point of wanting to see it at least in pictures before committing
I suspect if i want to see it I’m going to need to drive up. Not too far from Charlotte (90 min) so perhaps I’ll do so tomorrow.

no experience here and didn’t want to have to reject my vehicle and put myself at the back of the line with a replacement. I was assuming that’s what happens when one rejects a vehicle at delivery. Thanks

I suspect if i want to see it I’m going to need to drive up. Not too far from Charlotte (90 min) so perhaps I’ll do so tomorrow.

no experience here and didn’t want to have to reject my vehicle and put myself at the back of the line with a replacement. I was assuming that’s what happens when one rejects a vehicle at delivery. Thanks
ahhh ok, 90 min drive is not a bad drive. good idea driving up to see it. hell, if you like it and it checks out, you might be driving it back the same day! :)

Has anyone had issues with trading in their vehicle and the amount coming back less than they quoted you online? This did not happen to me, just curious if anyone has had any issues with trades.
yes I had that happen with my 2018 M3LRDM when we traded in for our Model Y. they dropped the price 2k and when I got in touch with the SA/IA and started yelling and getting upset they fixed it. however it was still 400 less. I was ok with that, but 2k was outrageous..

yes I had that happen with my 2018 M3LRDM when we traded in for our Model Y. they dropped the price 2k and when I got in touch with the SA/IA and started yelling and getting upset they fixed it. however it was still 400 less. I was ok with that, but 2k was outrageous..
I would be pretty pissed as well. I am hoping nothing like that happens. They already reevaluated my trade after the first month and it dropped by $400. So I am hoping that is where it stays since my SA said they are keeping the values until EOY.