Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s weird, it seems the performance orders get a default 7-11 weeks wait message but the other waiting rooms sat 11-17 weeks.

Maybe they think Performance buyers wanna go fast, so we get shorter duration EDD. but at the end of the day it’s all 11-17 weeks.
from what I can gather, the production schedule goes performance models first for all model, which kinda makes sense in that (assuming Tesla is like any other manufacturer) they have the highest profit margin so you kick those out first to maximise quarterly profit and then kick out the lower profit margin ones en masse to close out the Q.

Also if I take the head SA as truthful and knowledgeable when I went to Roseville, there is a material difference between one of the motors on the m3P and he LR, so it would either be the first to be built out of the batch or the last, where you run one batch installing motors A and B, then retool the line to only put in motor B. I think it would even work in a genraly assembly plant to then do the SR's (single motor B) while retooling to install motor B in the front and rear for the LR's.

from what I can gather, the production schedule goes performance models first for all model, which kinda makes sense in that (assuming Tesla is like any other manufacturer) they have the highest profit margin so you kick those out first to maximise quarterly profit and then kick out the lower profit margin ones en masse to close out the Q.

Also if I take the head SA as truthful and knowledgeable when I went to Roseville, there is a material difference between one of the motors on the m3P and he LR, so it would either be the first to be built out of the batch or the last, where you run one batch installing motors A and B, then retool the line to only put in motor B. I think it would even work in a genraly assembly plant to then do the SR's (single motor B) while retooling to install motor B in the front and rear for the LR's.
As a Q2 '21 delivery alum...performance model 3s are built last and please please please ignore the EDD. I knew going in (2nd model 3) to ignore the EDD, but I still checked every day and let it get my hopes up. It didn't matter, as others before me stated, expect your car in the last 2 weeks of the quarter, period. If you're in SoCal, it seems to workout that you're the last of the last.

As a Q2 '21 delivery alum...performance model 3s are built last and please please please ignore the EDD. I knew going in (2nd model 3) to ignore the EDD, but I still checked every day and let it get my hopes up. It didn't matter, as others before me stated, expect your car in the last 2 weeks of the quarter, period. If you're in SoCal, it seems to workout that you're the last of the last.
Sadly That would be the other logical assembly pattern 😢 sr first, Lr second, P last, so I’m not holding out hope that your experience is an outlier

Thanks for the info. You are probably right, I'm just wondering why they would have the canned EDD ranges seem to specify the P models coming first. Maybe just to get more people to buy into the P models thinking they will get it faster....lol

Thanks for the info. You are probably right, I'm just wondering why they would have the canned EDD ranges seem to specify the P models coming first. Maybe just to get more people to buy into the P models thinking they will get it faster....lol
The great mystery that is the Tesla EDD. Makes no sense why they dont just tell people: 'Order now and we push cars at quarter end' after providing the initial 7-11 week estimate.

For reference today is the Q3 equivalent of when I ordered in Q2 (4/13/21) and my car was delivered 6/14 in Denver.

To make it more bearable, the wait is worth it... the car is awesome.
IMG_7818.JPG

Last edited:
The great mystery that is the Tesla EDD. Makes no sense why they dont just tell people: 'Order now and we push cars at quarter end' after providing the initial 7-11 week estimate.

For reference today is the Q3 equivalent of when I ordered in Q2 (4/13/21) and my car was delivered 6/14 in Denver.

To make it more bearable, the wait is worth it... the car is awesome.
View attachment 684234

Sweet ride man... I feel like now you really gotta get black emblems and rear badging hah.

Think of all the fun we'd miss out on if everyone's EDD page said "7-11 weeks" and just stayed that way for 13 weeks :(

So I called Tesla Customer Service to confirm if my 7/19-7/25th dates are accurate because it was 7-11 weeks just a day ago. He confirmed it was, and now that I have a VIN it is for sure coming on 7/22nd. Problems is, I'm out of town starting the 23rd until August 3rd...he said that they need a day to prep the vehicle and most likely, will not be able to hold it for me until I return. He made a note to ask my local SA to see if they can do it but I'm not holding my breath...sadly, I think it's back to the queue for me.

If anyone has an MSM Performance, black interior w/o FSD on order, my loss is your gain.
I just fell out of my chair!! Tesla customer service actually answered the phone?!?!

• Funny
Reactions: JohnnyMa
So that's what everyone and and a couple SAs told me (and what I observed for end of Q2.) Imagine my surprise when my EDD went from 7-11 weeks to 7/19-7/25 with VIN assigned this past weekend. And I called CS and talked to my SA and it's confirmed on the way. There just literally isn't any rhyme or reason to how Tesla pushes these cars out.

I just fell out of my chair!! Tesla customer service actually answered the phone?!?!
They did! All local numbers for Galleries all lead to a central call center though, so trying to reach your actual SA is an adventure.

Hey everyone! New here and excited to see what TMC is all about. Ordered my M3P on 7/11 with an EDD of 7-11 weeks (too good of a date/EDD to pass up). Here's to hoping I get bumped up!

I have a question that my SA has not been very helpful with; I want to finish my "profile" with Tesla, but am unsure about trading in my current car or financing. Can I select "not trading in" and "cash" and then switch those options later as my EDD approaches?

Thanks all!

Hey everyone! New here and excited to see what TMC is all about. Ordered my M3P on 7/11 with an EDD of 7-11 weeks (too good of a date/EDD to pass up). Here's to hoping I get bumped up!

I have a question that my SA has not been very helpful with; I want to finish my "profile" with Tesla, but am unsure about trading in my current car or financing. Can I select "not trading in" and "cash" and then switch those options later as my EDD approaches?

Thanks all!
Welcome and enjoy the fun! I did hear from my SA that typically people do select Cash and then do have the option to change later on. I don't know how it would work with trading in the car as that can take sometime on Tesla's end to evaluate the price and who knows how the used car market will be 2-3 months from now. However, I have read that people are able to switch to financing once they get a VIN and it is a pretty quick process especially if you Finance through Tesla!

Welcome and enjoy the fun! I did hear from my SA that typically people do select Cash and then do have the option to change later on. I don't know how it would work with trading in the car as that can take sometime on Tesla's end to evaluate the price and who knows how the used car market will be 2-3 months from now. However, I have read that people are able to switch to financing once they get a VIN and it is a pretty quick process especially if you Finance through Tesla!
Thanks for the reply! For anyone curious in the future, I logged into my account to only see the insurance screen, but Tesla chat was able to switch me from cash to financing which also unlocks the ability to re-add my trade-in. Hope this helps someone!

Reactions: mrmitch5150
So that's what everyone and and a couple SAs told me (and what I observed for end of Q2.) Imagine my surprise when my EDD went from 7-11 weeks to 7/19-7/25 with VIN assigned this past weekend. And I called CS and talked to my SA and it's confirmed on the way. There just literally isn't any rhyme or reason to how Tesla pushes these cars out.

They did! All local numbers for Galleries all lead to a central call center though, so trying to reach your actual SA is an adventure.
Yeah I think early in the quarter, things skew the expectation a bit as an extra car or two either have orders cancelled or an extra couple roll off the line. Nothing to make it easier on those of us waiting and trying to figure out actual delivery. But enjoy that you are definitely the lottery winner this quarter (and the enemy of everyone in this thread, :pha)

• Funny
Yeah I think early in the quarter, things skew the expectation a bit as an extra car or two either have orders cancelled or an extra couple roll off the line. Nothing to make it easier on those of us waiting and trying to figure out actual delivery. But enjoy that you are definitely the lottery winner this quarter (and the enemy of everyone in this thread, :pha)
Sadly I'm out of town for part of the delivery window - Tesla CS says they won't hold it past 3 days while my SA says they usually take a few days to prep anyways and it shouldn't be a problem to hold it. I love consistent info. :p But in any case, I'm afraid they won't hold it, and it'll be like holding a lottery ticket I can't redeem

Sadly I'm out of town for part of the delivery window - Tesla CS says they won't hold it past 3 days while my SA says they usually take a few days to prep anyways and it shouldn't be a problem to hold it. I love consistent info. :p But in any case, I'm afraid they won't hold it, and it'll be like holding a lottery ticket I can't redeem
I was in a similar boat, watching my EDD move from before my week long out of town vacation, to after, hoping it didn't settle on a date i was out. You do have a couple days flexibility and in some areas they just deliver the car to your house and its waiting for you upon return (the downside in your case is your not there to look over the car before digitally signing for acceptance).

For now, I suggest just getting a sense of how it will work (which you have) and then just see where the delivery date falls. Worrying about it every time the EDD changes will make you crazy (speaking from experience).