Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220424-153259.png
    Screenshot_20220424-153259.png
    318 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I feel like there's a a lot of completed cars in that video! Specifically at timestamps 0:17 and 1:39. And the video didn't even show the big loading lot I've seen in other videos. Maybe the current bottleneck is just cars waiting to get picked up and shipped somewhere?
I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that they’re waiting for chargers (the same ones they recently announced would no longer be included as standard). I‘m guessing that a current shortage of those chargers led to a decision to eliminate them as standard equipment, and is also delaying pre-announcement deliveries.

I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that they’re waiting for chargers (the same ones they recently announced would no longer be included as standard). I‘m guessing that a current shortage of those chargers led to a decision to eliminate them as standard equipment, and is also delaying pre-announcement deliveries.
If that’s the case, they should notify buyers currently waiting for priority delivery if they choose to opt out for the charger lol.

The charger issue just got me thinking that it’s possible they’re struggling with supply chain issues well beyond the chargers. But of course Tesla is about as transparent as mud.

Does anyone have a sense of whether or not the US factories are using any parts or subassemblies from the China factory?

I’ve heard mention that US built Teslas are comprised mostly of domestic parts but it wouldn’t take very many imported parts to throw a wrench in production. Even though Tesla is very vertically integrated and the factories probably have a lot of overlap in parts production surely there must be some parts to originate from only one source.

Reactions: jessepotter
The charger issue just got me thinking that it’s possible they’re struggling with supply chain issues well beyond the chargers. But of course Tesla is about as transparent as mud.

Does anyone have a sense of whether or not the US factories are using any parts or subassemblies from the China factory?

I’ve heard mention that US built Teslas are comprised mostly of domestic parts but it wouldn’t take very many imported parts to throw a wrench in production. Even though Tesla is very vertically integrated and the factories probably have a lot of overlap in parts production surely there must be some parts to originate from only one source.
Yeah, if it was just delivery...I drive by the factory many times a week!! Four time today, in fact. Just let me have one, please. Lol.

Do they assemble chargers in Shanghai?

I've watched inventory in the lot fill and empty, so they are building and delivering *something*.

Yeah, if it was just delivery...I drive by the factory many times a week!! Four time today, in fact. Just let me have one, please. Lol.

Do they assemble chargers in Shanghai?

I've watched inventory in the lot fill and empty, so they are building and delivering *something*.
Every time you drive by, Elon pushes your EDD out another day until it falls into the next window. This is in between giving you the finger and pressing his bare backside against the window.

• Funny
Reactions: mcp76
Can you please grab a screen shot of your EDD and the website giving an earlier time. I missed the chance to grab it myself
When I ordered on 4/15 it was a month shorter than it is now. I didn’t take a screenshot of the website at the time but even now it’s shorter than the app tells me. My EDD has never changed.

I have photos from now of both my app and the website but can’t seem to embed photos on mobile.

just FYI, you didn’t put a deposit on the car. You paid an order fee which goes on top of the price of the car. Isn’t this so much better than buying from a dealer?
To be fair, if you go to the financing tab of the app and hit VIEW it’ll give you a full breakdown of costs and they call it “order deposit”.

I just bought a new Honda Odyssey for my wife last month. They’re incredibly hard to find. On top of that I paid cash which some dealerships don’t like because they can’t make some money on the financing. Regardless, their online sales manager sent me a text once a week letting me know what they had coming in and any changes that occurred with reserved vehicles. He called me one morning and said “I have one here we didn’t expect to get so soon. We haven’t even done an inspection yet but you’re welcome to come see it”. Left my office and drove over. 10 minutes later the deal was done.

This might not be every dealership, I know. But these guys wanted to sell cars. So far Tesla hasn’t convinced me they want to sell cars. And that might be because they haven’t been hungry yet. But they’re leaving the door open for competitors to get their foot in and shake things up.

My decision to get the car is only because of the car itself, despite the company policies. And I’ve seen first hand in my own career that design, engineering, and manufacturing are easier things to change than company culture. That should worry Tesla.

Reactions: mcp76
I wonder how many people here would have ordered knowing this process would take 3-4 months instead of the EDD we were given at the time we placed our order.

For me, I'm not in a hurry to get another car. I'm keeping the car I drive right now, just wanting a more practical daily driver. The delay doesn't hurt me in any way other than my nerves.

It just sucks being told one thing when there is no way they could have kept that promise. As I said previously, the EDD at order should be a worst-case scenario and then pleasantly surprise the customer if it comes sooner. As it is, it's a blatant bait-and-switch and should be illegal.
I wouldn't have ordered. I ordered end of Feb and it said March arrival. Long range AWD I think was saying April/May so that pushed me over the edge to the P which I pretty much wanted anyways.

Also passed up a great used on on Teslas inventory with an extra year of warranty and FSD. Now used are selling as much as new. But like I posted above one more push back and I'm cancelling and buying a newer Z06 Vette.

Throwing my guess in the hat, cause why not. I think it’s a combination of supply chain issues and Tesla trying to catch up on Model Y orders. When I placed my M3P order on 2/21, I also checked how long a Y order would take and it was around a 4 month additional wait. Tesla sells a lot more Y’s than 3’s so they’re probably trying to keep those customers happy as well. M3P buyers are a small fraction of Tesla customers.
And I agree with the person that said Tesla isn’t giving us chargers because there aren’t any. If they’re short on chargers they’re probably also missing other stuff as well.

To be fair, if you go to the financing tab of the app and hit VIEW it’ll give you a full breakdown of costs and they call it “order deposit”.
Interestingly, I was about to make the same point.

I just bought a new Honda Odyssey for my wife last month. They’re incredibly hard to find. On top of that I paid cash which some dealerships don’t like because they can’t make some money on the financing. Regardless, their online sales manager sent me a text once a week letting me know what they had coming in and any changes that occurred with reserved vehicles. He called me one morning and said “I have one here we didn’t expect to get so soon. We haven’t even done an inspection yet but you’re welcome to come see it”. Left my office and drove over. 10 minutes later the deal was done.

This might not be every dealership, I know. But these guys wanted to sell cars. So far Tesla hasn’t convinced me they want to sell cars. And that might be because they haven’t been hungry yet. But they’re leaving the door open for competitors to get their foot in and shake things up.

My decision to get the car is only because of the car itself, despite the company policies. And I’ve seen first hand in my own career that design, engineering, and manufacturing are easier things to change than company culture. That should worry Tesla.
Separately, this must be partly because dealer inventory has been very limited so the dealership employees HAVE to be very careful about customer satisfaction. Having you get frustrated and back out may have cost that dealer a not-insignificant portion of sales for the month. Even without the various back-end sales packages, they probably still made a few thousand dollars, which is certainly worth running down a list of orders once a week and sending each one a text ;) . The days of “hook ‘Em and fry Em” one after another are gone, for a while at least.

Attachments

• D617C2E0-5EE7-4A76-A9C3-B1C5DF9CD155.png
    D617C2E0-5EE7-4A76-A9C3-B1C5DF9CD155.png
    301.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Reactions: cf2111 and Rodney!