Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone here recently switched their order from LR to P? My LR order (OD 7/10) has been stuck on Nov–Feb for a while, so I'm considering switching to P to try to get it sooner, assuming it doesn't put me in the back of the line.
With LR orders being stopped, I am not sure of the math now. A month ago, if you ordered on 6/10 and switched to P on 7/10, Tesla would handle the order as if they ordered a P on 6/10. That meant you got your car on 8/10 (8 weeks). But with LR being stopped, I wonder if P orders are piling up.

With LR orders being stopped, I am not sure of the math now. A month ago, if you ordered on 6/10 and switched to P on 7/10, Tesla would handle the order as if they ordered a P on 6/10. That meant you got your car on 8/10 (8 weeks). But with LR being stopped, I wonder if P orders are piling up.
8 weeks? Who get's their car in 8 weeks o_O:D?

I know this latest date push I got may also signal that a 2 week delivery window is eminent.
But like Flatbroke and others, dates have changed many times and many have got to the point where they were questioning their decision to order. Most of those folks have since received cars. Some of us are still waiting and navigating around not having that extra car for several months. So naturally, over these now three months, I have second guessed going the Tesla/EV route.

For most, it's not about the gas savings unless you have a long daily commute (I do). And even then, the break even point for a different $40k car would still be 5+ years driving 150 miles per day.
Maybe it's about going green? Not the case for me.
Performance? How many times are you actually using the acceleration after you've done it a few times and showed your family/friends?
Even the aesthetic performance upgrades you pay for on the P model. Many are already replacing their 21" wheels and low profile tires to avoid damage.

So just curious. After all the waiting, second guessing, and evaluating. Especially for those where this is their first Tesla.
You've experienced the speed and what it's like to drive a dead silent EV.
You've been in the cabin long enough to get a sense of the current level of quality offered by Tesla and all of the car's idiosyncrasies.

Was it still worth it?

After 3 weeks of ownership I think it was worth it. The speed is great, but better than the speed is the constant smooth acceleration. No gear changes, accelerator lag, or power band, just a strong and smooth GO! I still love to punch it frequently! I don't think I'll ever use Track Mode, but I'd love to play with it in a parking lot sometime. The cabin noise is fine, on par with my Lexus. It is not a "dead silent EV" there is noise, just not engine noise. The ride is great on smooth roads, and hard on crappy roads. The audio quality as amazing with no distortion at "11", but the radio sucks, and connecting tidal and spotify won't work unless you have premium accounts with them. Tesla streaming stations with the premium connectivity are pretty good. The audio system overall is frustrating. AP is great and horrible at the same time. It works great in the left lane and is quirky in the right lane. If you just want a car to drive, it's great. If you want a self driving car, be ready to be let down. The cargo capacity is amazing. I just had the wall connector installed so charging will go from .43/Kwh to .15/Kwh so the "savings" will start showing for me and it can now become a true daily driver without supercharging.

I just did a weekend camping trip 4 hours away. Supercharging during the trip was easy and fairly quick. No range anxiety. So I'd feel confident road tripping anywhere. I do have anxiety over service and flat tires. Reading all the stories regarding service and repairs I do not feel a family can only have one Tesla as the only vehicle. I commute 1 hour for work and can't afford to have the car in the shop for an extended time without a backup.

I think the quality is fine, Once you get over the initial joy of taking ownership, you begin to notice where Tesla saves money. The interior trim pieces feel like very thin plastic covered in cheap fabric. the sun visors are crap, but do the job. Flatbroke posted a pic of an unpainted part of the trunk, which they all have. Yes we're all buying expensive cars and expect the best quality bang for our buck, but no production car is perfect and I don't mind the little things.

Overall it's by far my favorite car, and I don't think I will ever not own a Tesla again. That being said, it seems like I learn something new every day I drive it. Sometimes that's great sometimes that's frustrating.

After 3 weeks of ownership I think it was worth it. The speed is great, but better than the speed is the constant smooth acceleration. No gear changes, accelerator lag, or power band, just a strong and smooth GO! I still love to punch it frequently! I don't think I'll ever use Track Mode, but I'd love to play with it in a parking lot sometime. The cabin noise is fine, on par with my Lexus. It is not a "dead silent EV" there is noise, just not engine noise. The ride is great on smooth roads, and hard on crappy roads. The audio quality as amazing with no distortion at "11", but the radio sucks, and connecting tidal and spotify won't work unless you have premium accounts with them. Tesla streaming stations with the premium connectivity are pretty good. The audio system overall is frustrating. AP is great and horrible at the same time. It works great in the left lane and is quirky in the right lane. If you just want a car to drive, it's great. If you want a self driving car, be ready to be let down. The cargo capacity is amazing. I just had the wall connector installed so charging will go from .43/Kwh to .15/Kwh so the "savings" will start showing for me and it can now become a true daily driver without supercharging.

I just did a weekend camping trip 4 hours away. Supercharging during the trip was easy and fairly quick. No range anxiety. So I'd feel confident road tripping anywhere. I do have anxiety over service and flat tires. Reading all the stories regarding service and repairs I do not feel a family can only have one Tesla as the only vehicle. I commute 1 hour for work and can't afford to have the car in the shop for an extended time without a backup.

I think the quality is fine, Once you get over the initial joy of taking ownership, you begin to notice where Tesla saves money. The interior trim pieces feel like very thin plastic covered in cheap fabric. the sun visors are crap, but do the job. Flatbroke posted a pic of an unpainted part of the trunk, which they all have. Yes we're all buying expensive cars and expect the best quality bang for our buck, but no production car is perfect and I don't mind the little things.

Overall it's by far my favorite car, and I don't think I will ever not own a Tesla again. That being said, it seems like I learn something new every day I drive it. Sometimes that's great sometimes that's frustrating.
To add on to this, I recently sold my Standard Range Model Y in July which was actually the slowest Tesla(0-60 in the mid 5 second range) but the instant acceleration made it much faster than anything I've driven before. Merging onto the highway was a breeze, I didn't have to think twice about passing other cars, and just the overall driving experience was much better. Since I've sold it I've been driving a CR-V for the last month and it's been a struggle. I didn't realize how much better driving an EV would be until I got back into an ICE vehicle. I'm eagerly waiting for my Performance Y to be delivered next month so that I can ditch driving an ICE vehicle again.

I got my M3P back from the shop where I had it wrapped in 3M Satin Flip Psychedelic wrap, ceramic coated with Feynlab coating and tinted with STEX NEX window tint. The front windshield was 70%, the rear windows of the car were 5% and the driver and passenger windows were 15%. I think it turned out pretty nice…
Looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: SoCalGirl
Update this morning.
8/22 - 9/19 --> 9/14 - 10/19

When I ordered on 7/13, I had a 2-week window the next day from 7/24 - 8/7. Way too optimistic, but it got me scrambling to get ready. But every time I get to the second day of my EDD window, the window gets pushed back. First it got pushed back about 2 weeks. Then it got pushed back about 2 more weeks and expanded to almost a month-long window. Now it got pushed back almost a month and expanded to more than a month-long window. It's going backwards from the normal progression. This is frustrating.

Congrats! Exact same configuration I ordered and even the same region!

Looks like you ordered on 8/8? I would guess expect your car by mid Oct. Altho. start of quarter factory updates might shift that timeline further out. If you were on west coast, pre 9/30 due to end of quarter rush would have been a possibility! It just takes too long for the car to get here.

Reactions: Cho22
Update this morning.
8/22 - 9/19 --> 9/14 - 10/19

When I ordered on 7/13, I had a 2-week window the next day from 7/24 - 8/7. Way too optimistic, but it got me scrambling to get ready. But every time I get to the second day of my EDD window, the window gets pushed back. First it got pushed back about 2 weeks. Then it got pushed back about 2 more weeks and expanded to almost a month-long window. Now it got pushed back almost a month and expanded to more than a month-long window. It's going backwards from the normal progression. This is frustrating.

Sorry to hear about the delay - your frustration is completely understandable. Unfortunately, this is becoming more common for West Coast orders, as several of us have seen our EDDs slip from two-week windows (or less) to a month or more. At this point, getting EOQ'd is looking like a best case scenario!

I got my M3P back from the shop where I had it wrapped in 3M Satin Flip Psychedelic wrap, ceramic coated with Feynlab coating and tinted with STEX NEX window tint. The front windshield was 70%, the rear windows of the car were 5% and the driver and passenger windows were 15%. I think it turned out pretty nice…

Thanks for sharing! That Psychedelic wrap is on another level. Stunning. With your 70% STEX NEX front tint does it have a greenish or blueish hue? Thanks!

As of today, still sitting at EDD of September 4th-October 9th

OD: 7/28
Chandler,AZ
First EDD Nov-Dec (hasn’t updated since July 29th)

M3P White on white, basic autopilot, no trade in
Good to see another w/w config. I'd be very interested to keep tabs although we're in different regions.

8 weeks? Who get's their car in 8 weeks o_O:D?

8 weeks exactly for me
OD 7-1
Pickup 9-1
:p
I just passed my 8 week mark a few days ago and now every day feels like a week. My 60 day mark is approaching in a few days as well.

I have a feeling that my DD will be at the end of this month or the first week of Sept. What do you all think?:D
Its been a month since the last change. Moved from 8/22 - 9/26 to EDD #4: 9/15 - 10/13
Hang in there buddy... it works quite differently for us in this region. Let's be in touch.... there are several of us here in the same boat. From what I've seen the DD for June ODs have been pretty consistent here. If my projection is true based on the recent DDs that I've seen, then that general data may hold true for you to. Will be in touch!

Reactions: gtcrispy