Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is something unsettling I'll share. Tesla texted me suggesting I check out the available inventory to get a model 3 sooner. I responded that "no m3Ps in available inventory qualify for the $7500 tax credit." They responded that no M3P qualifies for the tax credit. I then told them that the Tesla website specifically said "Your design qualifies for a $7,500 federal tax credit for eligible buyers," and shared the screen shot. (I ordered a white M3P with black interior for $53,990.)

Anybody else hear from Tesla that all M3Ps do not qualify? This will be a giant mess for Tesla if they say on their website that it qualifies when their staff knows it does not qualify. That's very deceptive.

The Tesla Advisors have not respond to my texts.

I think this is definitely the case of a specific staff member not being up to speed. The “to our understanding” disclaimer is same as “I’m not sure I know what I’m talking about, but…” I can see how someone would be confused. Many of the “eligible cars for 2023 EV credit lists” were drafted BEFORE the price cuts - so they omitted the M3P.

Having said that, anyone responding from Tesla should have the latest info. To put your mind at ease, ask them to check with a manager and confirm whether the sub $55k M3P qualifies or not without the “to our understanding” disclaimer.

I think this is definitely the case of a specific staff member not being up to speed. The “to our understanding” disclaimer is same as “I’m not sure I know what I’m talking about, but…” I can see how someone would be confused. Many of the “eligible cars for 2023 EV credit lists” were drafted BEFORE the price cuts - so they omitted the M3P.

Having said that, anyone responding from Tesla should have the latest info. To put your mind at ease, ask them to check with a manager and confirm whether the sub $55k M3P qualifies or not without the “to our understanding” disclaimer.

You will most likely get a canned answer or refer you to you "tax professional". While it clearly qualifies under the MSRP requirement, is ultimate the IRS call - not Tesla. I don't think any manager will be willing to guarantee that in writing.

For example, the IRS website doesn't have the M3P listed, but does have the MYP which is above the MSRP and can't be configured as 7 seater for the higher limit.

I think is 99% likely it qualifies, but I can understand their CYA approach.

You will most likely get a canned answer or refer you to you "tax professional". While it clearly qualifies under the MSRP requirement, is ultimate the IRS call - not Tesla. I don't think any manager will be willing to guarantee that in writing.

For example, the IRS website doesn't have the M3P listed, but does have the MYP which is above the MSRP and can't be configured as 7 seater for the higher limit.

I think is 99% likely it qualifies, but I can understand their CYA approach.
I can see them referring you to a tax professional to see if YOU qualify for the credit, but not to see if their product qualifies. The credit isn’t automatic for EVs under a certain MSRP - the manufacturer must submit specific models for consideration in the program. Tesla is therefore the definitive source of info on whether a model qualifies or not. The website isn’t equivocal about this either - it says “your design qualifies for a $7500 federal tax credit for eligible buyers” - there is no “may” or “might” in that wording, nor in the details.

Maybe it was poorly worded, but the SA said “To the best of our understanding, we do not believe the M3P qualifies for the tax credit” - that’s not a CYA - that’s a false statement that directly contradicts what is explicitly stated on the website. Understandable - since it’s all super complicated, but a Tesla rep should be able to accurately tell you whether a model is in the program or not. 100% agree that whether the customer qualifies for the credit is a completely different story.

Reactions: Clover
Got mine at the factory. It was wild, nobody there, got dropped off, finished setup on phone, map shows me where the car is.

Also, do not be alarmed when you make a final payment, Tesla's destination fee is $1400 and doesn't count towards the $55k limit.
20230124_170058.jpg

I'll just say that I've had a non Tesla EV for over five years and needed to fast charge is a whopping total of 3 times. Never with issue. Most EV drivers don't fast charge, they charge at home or work. Plus, there is the whole Tesla opening up the Supercharger network to everyone thing that makes this all pointless. Already happened in Europe. Coming to America. Don't know about other places.
So you use your EV for going around town. Certainly are people like this. Many others aren't.

I drove 3 hours to Houston and 3 hours back on the weekend and will do it again in the morning. Back in the holidays I drove 1200 miles in 20 hours with two small kids. Would like to see that done without fast charging.

So you use your EV for going around town. Certainly are people like this. Many others aren't.
I'd say most of those others have multiple vehicles and use the right tool fro the right job. Not every tool needs. to do every job. I don't need a truck for the one time a year I could use one. I just rent it for a day or even a couple hours. I take my wife's car on roadtrips, which gets about 32.5 MPG on those road trips which is comparable to supercharger fees but more convent. Most EV driver don't need fast charging often. It is just regurgitated propaganda and fans who can't believe their need could be served in another manner.

seems the east coast people getting later delivery. which kind of making sense. cars need to be transported

Anyone ordered the week of the Jan 16th got their VIN/delivery in the east coast? I ordered a M3P silver on 1/16 eve and still no VIN. Still says Feb 9-Mar 9.

That’s awesome!
I’m Georgia as well ordered 1/14. I’m still showing Feb 2- Mar 2. I’m blue/black M3P. Was yours an existing inventory order? What color combo?
It was supposedly an inventory model available in Atlanta, but that seemed a bit misleading since it took 2 weeks to arrive at the Alpharetta location! It's Midnight Silver with black interior.