Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Power Liftgate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no problem paying Tesla $300 to install it. What if they mess up something? Would this void the Tesla warranty?

Just like literally anything aftermarket, if they break something it's on the shop that installs it to make it right. This isn't uncharted waters here.

Tesla would never install this kit themselves since it's aftermarket; they don't deal with that and I can't blame them. Also, you don't void your warranty for anything aftermarket. If Tesla can prove your aftermarket install broke something by the install or use, then sure they won't cover you for warranty.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. The lack of a power lift gate was my wife’s biggest complaint about her M3. And I heard it everyday that she had to wrestle with it in a driving rain storm. So for her birthday, I surprised her with the powered liftgate, she was away on business, and she could not have been happier. I did not do the foot sensor, and the liftgate has worked flawlessly for the past 5 months. Wanted to give it a thorough work out before promoting it. The support people in Hong Kong were crazy responsive over a few questions that came up.

Had a Tesla Ranger do the install and he did a beautiful job, and charged me $300.00. Well worth it, but as many have noted, should have been a minimum of an option on a car of this price range.

Had a Tesla Ranger do the install and he did a beautiful job, and charged me $300.00. Well worth it, but as many have noted, should have been a minimum of an option on a car of this price range.

This is the first time I've read that Tesla will install after-market accessory. Can you go a bit into the detail of what you told them when you created the request?

Sorry, should have been more specific in my comment about Tesla Ranger doing the install. He did it own his own time after I contacted him about doing the install. He had been to my home over the past 2 years, doing work on my Model S too, so felt very confident about his abilities.

Raymond from Tesla Offer just left my house after installing the kit they sent me from Hong Kong. It's great! He did a wonderful job, it works great and I couldn't recommend the kit enough. If you can get him to install it while he's still in California, its absolutely worth the cost.

Reactions: Parebal0
I received the TeslaOffer kit with foot sensor and plan on installing it myself this weekend.

To prepare for the installation, I combined the two videos TeslaOffer (original and updated) into one to make it easier to follow:

I spent about 5 hours installing the kit (not quite done yet, see below why).
The videos and installation manual were mostly fine but found them lacking in certain areas. I’ll share some of the gaps below.

During the first two hours, I removed the panels per the video from the trunk, trunk lid, frunk, and front driver’s side, as well as wiring the main harness from the trunk area to the trunk lid.
The latter is clearly the biggest pain point of the install. Definitely use lubricant or soap & water to slowly pull the wires through, and make sure you tape them well together without big lumps. It was also helpful to unhook either end of the rubber tube and bunch them up a bit to put the tube in the straightest line possible.

The next two hours were spent wiring the rest of the cables, such as the CAN bundle and optional trunk button, as well as the power cable.
I chose to wire the latter to the battery, mainly because I want to leave the kit “awake” for whenever I swipe my foot under the trunk (I got the optional foot sensor), but also because it was super difficult to get to the alternate power source under the dash.
To do that, you’d have to remove another panel and unglue a wire connector that blocks the 12V bolt, which I wasn’t comfortable doing.
A note on wiring the 12V to the frunk: drilling a small size hole through that large rubber gasket (that already has 2 power cables going through it) was not enough, so I bent the 12V connector together a bit to give it more of a round shape.
After I managed to pull it through the rubber gasket, I unfolded the connector with pliers - easy enough and much better than drilling a massive hole through the gasket, which I’m assuming is there to prevent water ingress to the cabin.

About that foot sensor: in my version of the kit, it connects to a cable that has 4 wires (red, white, green with a long red extension, and black with a U connector).
The green and black are obvious to connect per the manual/videos, but there is no mention of red and white. I found out red is 12V, which is also easy to deduce where to connect, but white is “ACC” which I have no idea what to connect with.
I’m assuming it means “accessory” but that still doesn’t help me figure out where to connect that white wire. So I’m leaving the foot connector off for now.

The last hour of my installation was spent installing the trunk button on the lid, the trunk button in the drivers area, and putting (almost) everything back together.
The trunk lid button was easy to install, but I had a hard time figuring out where to put the other button in the front. I had wired it with the CAN wire so it came out by the dead pedal.
I wanted to put it within arm’s reach but out of sight, as it is backlit in red all the time and that could be annoying at night.
Also, the button has a fairly deep backside, so I had to be careful where to drill the panel to make sure there was enough space behind, once reinstalled (and the hole require is pretty large, so you don’t want to mess this one up).
Putting the other panels together was pretty easy, but I’m leaving the bottom trunk ones off until I can install the foot sensor, which requires removing the bumper.

I hope this was helpful. If anyone knows where to connect the ACC wire, please share your insights!

Last edited:
Just finished installing the liftgate. Everything works except the foot sensor. I ran all the correctly according to the instructions. I'm on cellphon now so so I can't post the rest of the images. I will upload the rest when I have access to computer.
MVIMG_20190721_094400.jpg
green wire to purple, red wire to the power cable and yellow wire is attached to nothing. And ground wire to the grounding nut.

Last edited:
MVIMG_20190721_095335.jpg MVIMG_20190721_095410.jpg MVIMG_20190721_094400.jpg
Just finished installing the liftgate. Everything works except for the foot sensor. I ran all the wires correctly according to the instructions. I noticed from the youtube installation videos, some poeple had the green, red, white wires for the foot sensor. The wires I received were green, red, and yellow. I tapped the green wire with the purple wire, red wire with the 12v. I connected the ground using the nut for grounding and yellow wire I left alone. I also tried to interchange the wiring of yellow and red to the 12v but still does not work. Anyone have clues?

Just finished installing the liftgate. Everything works except the foot sensor. I ran all the correctly according to the instructions. I'm on cellphon now so so I can't post the rest of the images. I will upload the rest when I have access to computer.View attachment 432416 green wire to purple, red wire to the power cable and yellow wire is attached to nothing. And ground wire to the grounding nut.

I installed the foot sensor and also had trouble getting it to operate too. Turned out to be a poor tap connection from the green to the purple wire (I did it the same way showed in your photo).
Make sure the green wire is stripped enough and makes contact with the inside metal portion of the tap. Mine works perfectly now.

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike