Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Range decreased again...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s too bad, there isn’t a way to see data from your car on how many times your battery has sat at 100%, or how often it was charged to 100%, how often you charged down close to 0%, how many 0-60 runs you’ve done, or what charge level you keep the battery at, things that abuse the battery.

If you had this data, it would sure help illustrate that your degradation is not self inflicted.
I know Tesla has this data. Does anyone know if there is a way to get this type data ?
The data that we know impacts the battery.
I have all of that data. Except 0-60 runs. It sat at 100 once for 7 hours in November 2019 when the Wynn valet set it to 100 after I dropped it with them for the night. I ran it down to 2% from Kingman AZ to The Grand Canyon but immediately charged back to 90%.
The 91%, 92% and 93% charges all happen with 90% selected.

For what it’s worth, I’ve now lost more “range” on my Model 3 with ~14,000 miles than my 2014 Model S With ~85,000 miles.
177BA17B-8511-436D-885F-A1610D774B5F.jpeg

Last edited:
I have all of that data. Except 0-60 runs. It sat at 100 once for 7 hours in November 2019 when the Wynn valet set it to 100 after I dropped it with them for the night. I ran it down to 2% from Kingman AZ to The Grand Canyon but immediately charged back to 90%.
The 91%, 92% and 93% charges all happen with 90% selected.

For what it’s worth, I’ve now lost more “range” on my Model 3 with ~14,000 miles than my 2014 Model S With ~85,000 miles.
View attachment 598373

Nice. Getting there.
Where are you getting that data from ?
The attached you posted only shows percentage of charge and number of times at that percentage.
It doesn’t show dates, if any are missing, how long it sat at that percentage, and how many times and for how long, how low it’s gone, and for how long, nor the 0-60 runs.
I think you posted kWh charged at DC amd AC already.
(Not sure where we could get the data on 0-60 runs. anyone ? )
Do you have data you can post on all the above (less the 0-60 runs ) ?
It would be interesting to see, and maybe help us see why this is happening.

Following a concerning trend in my range. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread and try out some of the suggestions made. My last charge was from 18-90%. Car is approaching 4k miles and range started heading downwards after 2020.36.10

View attachment 596465
There are 128 vehicles with charges at your current odometer reading.
124 Vehicles have a higher range. 4 Vehicles have a lower range.
Your range is better than 3 % of similar users.

i have the same thing after the same update

AFDD8056-06F8-438F-8A6A-3F6BE4357865.png

i heard before that the model s loses less range than the model 3. if it is a fact, i wonder why ?

A wild speculation :

I understand that the model s has a battery with more cells. So could it be the reason ? 1 cell degrading on the model 3 would represent more degradation overall than on the model S.

I know, this is just a guess, if somebody knowledgable could help.

i heard before that the model s loses less range than the model 3. if it is a fact, i wonder why ?

A wild speculation :

I understand that the model s has a battery with more cells. So could it be the reason ? 1 cell degrading on the model 3 would represent more degradation overall than on the model S.

I know, this is just a guess, if somebody knowledgable could help.
The model 3 displays nominal, placeholder BMS values to the API. They’re updated according to an algorithm but they’re not actual BMS values. So while they are accurate, they’re not real-time because of the way the battery is constructed and balances itself.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Question. Does having the BMS that's drifted cause any navigation issues or is it mostly just all your OCD? For example, would it ever reroute you to a charger thinking it wouldn't have enough range if it thinks say, 50mi are unavailable? Realistically, this is an edge case and most of the time a dozen miles of drift likely won't matter on long trips. I guess to rephrase, is there really any major benefit to correcting the drift?

My car is about a month old and I've only been charging every few days (generally like 50-80%). I'm curious if that will keep the BMS in alignment or if that's more of a hassle than it's worth, if there really isn't a major downside other than the number on the screen.
For me it's mostly "OCD". But there is a small part of me that also wants to keep the BMS as accurate as possible so in the long run, if/when there is a real range decrease, it will raise a red flag for me to look into instead of me writing it off as a BMS calibration issue.

View attachment 598306Looks like I’m dead last again...whoooo go me!
Change settings to “show charges 90% of higher” instead of 70%... Also: don’t include incomplete charges (for better stats).

i have mine set at a 2.000km max deviation to compare.

My SR+ is even worse or maybe similar, it’s at 208-211mi of the 240miles (or 250..)

What’s interesting is that the average fleet degradation at 25.000km (15.500mi) is super high: -7.8% according to TeslaFi

*edit* it’s actually never been at 240miles... Highesr I ever had from new was only 229mi, but got lowere every charge from then on. After a few charges it was down 25-30miles and “stable”.... Basically paid for SR+ but got a SR- is what hurts

Last edited:
Reactions: sa012 and ran349
I give up....
View attachment 604152
This was after attempting this technique again.
How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity

This is not an accurate way of assessing your range (not saying it is not correct - I am just saying there is a huge margin of error). It’s only reasonable to look at the predictions for 90%/100% SoC when above about 80% SoC. Just huge rounding errors possible at low SoC. If you are very very careful in the car you can reduce these errors by watching carefully, but obviously easier to just fill that sucker up.

Thank you. I did charge it up. 90% was actually 186 RM so I gained 10 miles off rounding error.

I’m going to attempt a full 100- as low as possible cycle tomorrow to see how many kW actually remain based on what I can discharge/ charge back up

Thank you. I did charge it up. 90% was actually 186 RM so I gained 10 miles off rounding error.

I’m going to attempt a full 100- as low as possible cycle tomorrow to see how many kW actually remain based on what I can discharge/ charge back up

Assuming you have a 2019 SR+ with 207rmi at 100% I expect you’ll see about 43kWh for a full discharge (100% to 0%+).

(And about 45kWh if you drive until you stop moving and have to get towed.)

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverSp33d3r
Welcome to the club.

Bought 2019 July AWD LR
Mileage: 40k miles
I tried using some of the users advice on charging but it actually got worse. Like much worse. Some advise on keeping the car plugged in but that’s hard to track your usage.
This is my latest charge. Charged to 90% (theoretically suppose to have 67.5 kWh). The car stated I have about 252 miles.
Now charging, it says I have 32 miles. Having used 38 kWh, where did the rest of my 29 kWh go? I don’t use A/c, heat, no sentry, radio, etc.

This car struggles so much to get 200 miles it’s not funny no more.
At this rate, I should have just gotten the sr+ model which caps at 263 miles at 100, amirite?

I contacted Tesla several times on this and I get the same answer. Battery ok. Within range.

On the fence of cancelling Tesla plaid order.

Attachments

• 1C34435D-1AAB-4537-9745-B99BEE1A95D5.jpeg
    1C34435D-1AAB-4537-9745-B99BEE1A95D5.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 66
  • B4C405D0-54E6-4396-977E-A877E8800DA6.jpeg
    B4C405D0-54E6-4396-977E-A877E8800DA6.jpeg
    393.2 KB · Views: 64
Status
Not open for further replies.