Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 range reduced via update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not enough data on this to draw any conclusions. Nothing changed with my battery after V10 update.

There is degredation in any battery over time but Bjorn's methodology on this one is way too simplistic.

He'll be pleased with all the attention and clicks he gets though. He may be a nice guy but effectively he's running a business with his YT channel.

Reactions: Roy W.
I too realize the other day when I had to charge to 100% that my range {long range dual motor M3} has decreased to 290 since updating to V10. Before all the Tesla groupies start telling me it’s degradation, my damn car is only two months old with less than 2500 miles. I’m so F@#king pissed. How in hell, what Audacity Does Tesla have to make them think they can just take something away from my car without permission and much less an explanation or even admitting they’ve done it. That’s like taking a car in for an oil change and the dealership removes your spare tire and not tell you. Then when you confront them about it, they tell you “no we didn’t, the car didn’t come with it.”
I will be seeking council from an attorney into a class action lawsuit. This is just BS.

47715100-d50f-414a-93a0-382298239edb-jpeg.469032

I’ve had at various points between 160 and 205 miles range shown after a full charge on an i3. I guess that number is calculated according to a number of factors - ambient temperature, battery temperature, how I’ve been driving it recently, etc

I’ve had journeys where the range has gone up instead of down when I’ve reached the destination.

Unless your actual, proven, practical range has gone down after an update, in identical conditions as before, then it’s not a legitimate complaint.

Change over to % view, you will probably find that you only hit ~97% or something. Happened to me a few days ago just before a 230 mile trip and no dancing or combination of plugging and unplugging could persuade it to add those last few % :(. It can get to 100% tho, so I'm not concerned. There is a little black bar left in your pic between the green fill level and the white target, so I suspect this is what has happened.

Second thing to consider is that 310 is entirely an arbitrary figure out of nothing. Totally dependant on your driving, the weather and anything else it feels like. They can change that formula too so that 100% always shows 310 - it's just like turning your stereo up to 11. What ever its set to, you'll never hit it, trying to hit it won't be good for the battery and will accelerate any actual degradation you have, so does it matter? It doesn't impact your residuals unless its just your car, in which case there is no class action for you. Just drive 3% more conservatively for that charge if its an important trip, or charge on an SC 30 seconds longer at a stop.

Don’t be such a drama queen. Did you lose the range or did you never have it and now the gauge is more accurate?

The range quoted by the car is a fixed figure that bears no direct relationship to how the car is driven or other external factors such as gradient or weather. It is either the rated range (I'm not sure whether that's WLTP these days) or the range Tesla believes the car could achieve in the real world. On my Model S these are referred to in the settings as "rated" or "typical".

The only time the car reflects past driving is when viewing the energy graph, and this is most useful when on a journey where range may be of interest and the destination has been input to the Nav.

• Disagree
Reactions: CMc1
Change over to % view, you will probably find that you only hit ~97% or something. Happened to me a few days ago just before a 230 mile trip and no dancing or combination of plugging and unplugging could persuade it to add those last few % :(. It can get to 100% tho, so I'm not concerned. There is a little black bar left in your pic between the green fill level and the white target, so I suspect this is what has happened.

Second thing to consider is that 310 is entirely an arbitrary figure out of nothing. Totally dependant on your driving, the weather and anything else it feels like. They can change that formula too so that 100% always shows 310 - it's just like turning your stereo up to 11. What ever its set to, you'll never hit it, trying to hit it won't be good for the battery and will accelerate any actual degradation you have, so does it matter? It doesn't impact your residuals unless its just your car, in which case there is no class action for you. Just drive 3% more conservatively for that charge if its an important trip, or charge on an SC 30 seconds longer at a stop.

I set the charge for 100% (first time in ages) and it completed at 97% too.

The range quoted by the car is a fixed figure that bears no direct relationship to how the car is driven or other external factors such as gradient or weather. It is either the rated range (I'm not sure whether that's WLTP these days) or the range Tesla believes the car could achieve in the real world. On my Model S these are referred to in the settings as "rated" or "typical".

The only time the car reflects past driving is when viewing the energy graph, and this is most useful when on a journey where range may be of interest and the destination has been input to the Nav.

@CMc1 I note the disagree, for clarity can you elaborate please?

the consensus seems to be that I shouldn't take the displayed range literally....then explain me this, why the hell is Tesla using it as a selling point? why not sell a car and say you get whatever range you get at any given point. Wake the hell up people