Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Were these tires made at the Gigafactory? I don't see any recognizable markings.

wheels-jpg.229056

Don't know about the tyres, but the brake caliper looks pretty unusual in this shot.

Finally, an active turn signal from the front!
Unfortunately just a still picture, not a video. I know it's dorky, but want to see how it flashes. Wonder if it just flashes or is sequential sweep when activated.

I'm disappointed in the DRL (or signature light whatever you want to call it) as it's just a "blob" at the back of the headlight. To me it was lazy and uninspired design choice. Don't hate it, but its "meh" to me.

Is that still true on a RWD drive car? I have no idea, just asking.
They key is in what D stands for in RWD (as in Drive) :)
Better explanation - weight transfer during braking throws more weight onto the front wheels and off the back wheels, so smaller calipers are needed.

As an aside, I noticed that some RCs have really nice Tesla branded front brake calipers as well, others seem to have plain ones

Also with RWD only, they can do some regen on the rear wheels (so perhaps not needing as big of a caliper) but not on the front.

Well, the friction braking system needs to be good enough to handle full braking for cases when regen may not be available such as when the battery is totally full, or really cold.

Have we noticed if the rear disk has a small secondary braking mechanism for e-Braking / Parking, or did they put a "parking pawl" in the gearbox this time?
( Tesla & Toyota debated which was the better approach when co-designing the RAV4EV... Model S & X get the aux caliper... )

Have we noticed if the rear disk has a small secondary braking mechanism for e-Braking / Parking, or did they put a "parking pawl" in the gearbox this time?
( Tesla & Toyota debated which was the better approach when co-designing the RAV4EV... Model S & X get the aux caliper... )
There was fairly recent change on the S (not sure about the X) where there is now just a single rear caliper and believe the parking brake is integrated into the rear caliper itself. This only applied to non-performance variants as they still have the separate caliper for the parking brake. Not sure if that will eventually change as can't imagine what difference there is between the performance and non-performance variants as believe they still use the same size brake setup.

All pictures far as I recall we have seen of the 3 only show single rear caliper.