Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have any data, but I have to imagine that a tinted glass roof is effective mainly just to reduce excessive light. Would a darker tint help with heat? I have my doubts. The darker it is, it might block more light, but it can also absorb more heat. So I would think you are trading one form of heat for another, and I'm not sure which would be more significant. Other interior parts may heat less due to the tint, but the glass roof itself will probably heat more, and most people who complain about the heat seem most concerned about their head which is closest to the glass roof.

Remember the mirror glass they used to use on full size van windows back in the day? What if they used some alternative kind of tint that isn't so dark in color? Maybe not mirror that could blind trucks with reflections, but something light in color. Might work a lot better.

I don't have any data, but I have to imagine that a tinted glass roof is effective mainly just to reduce excessive light. Would a darker tint help with heat? I have my doubts. The darker it is, it might block more light, but it can also absorb more heat. So I would think you are trading one form of heat for another, and I'm not sure which would be more significant. Other interior parts may heat less due to the tint, but the glass roof itself will probably heat more, and most people who complain about the heat seem most concerned about their head which is closest to the glass roof.

Remember the mirror glass they used to use on full size van windows back in the day? What if they used some alternative kind of tint that isn't so dark in color? Maybe not mirror that could blind trucks with reflections, but something light in color. Might work a lot better.
The world of tints is large. I also prefer tints that emphasize heat blocking, rather than visible light blocking. These are typically ceramic tints, instead of metal based.

@JeffK,

Who is "many people"?

Ski
Here's a BMW video on a similar paint, a few car companies use the same paint and techniques.

Model 3 in this color would be amazing

Aluminum flakes have to be super thin and line up like
quicksilver.jpg

bad idea? never.
Really, I'm interested in the contents of the passenger window. Basically, I want to be able to guess what's under the cover, if different from the RCs.
Due to multiple requests I'll post the two M3 pictures I took at the Barstow, CA supercharger on May 24 at full resolution. How do people want these? I figure PNG, full size, original color. That gives me 2.5MB and 6.5MB images, but when I try to post it complains that the server here can't process even the smaller file. So what's the preferred approach for those of you who like to pore over them in detail?

Reactions: jsanford
Due to multiple requests I'll post the two M3 pictures I took at the Barstow, CA supercharger on May 24 at full resolution. How do people want these? I figure PNG, full size, original color. That gives me 2.5MB and 6.5MB images, but when I try to post it complains that the server here can't process even the smaller file. So what's the preferred approach for those of you who like to pore over them in detail?

Thanks for doing this. I would recommend uploading them to imgur.com and post the link on the thread.

Reactions: JeffK
Maybe the glass roof will use intelligent glass, with the flick of a switch it will go from clear to frosted.
If they can make the frosting in the colour of the rest of the car that would be an added bonus.

I have wondered about the structural strength of a glass roof in that in a serious accident will it retain any strength
after the initial impact and breakage or will it provide no strength for the rest of the accident (say a T bone and roll over)
and will there be lots of glass flying around the cabin during this time possibly causing more injury to those
inside ( like a baby lying face up in a capsule!)

As mentioned, by @AssortedBread there's imgur.com there's snag.gy and a number of other free services that will host images.

Maybe the glass roof will use intelligent glass, with the flick of a switch it will go from clear to frosted.
If they can make the frosting in the colour of the rest of the car that would be an added bonus.

I have wondered about the structural strength of a glass roof in that in a serious accident will it retain any strength
after the initial impact and breakage or will it provide no strength for the rest of the accident (say a T bone and roll over)
and will there be lots of glass flying around the cabin during this time possibly causing more injury to those
inside ( like a baby lying face up in a capsule!)
It's all tempered glass, so that when it breaks it still sticks together: Toughened glass - Wikipedia