Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish, my wife's car has them and you'd be surprised how nice they are to have on a hot day with leather seats. I doubt we will see them when the S and X don't have them. I think the S had them for a short time but they've since been removed correct?

For awhile yes. I think they stopped because the perforations kept tearing. Don't recall if X ever had them or not. I'd expect all Teslas to get them again, eventually.

I'm not so sure they aren't both alcantara, just with it more clearly visualized in one pic vs the other. The cupholder is an oddity. Why bother making it two different colors? It also doesn't look very much like wood grain to me. It could honestly be a light "trick" due to the driver's window being partially lowered and the light passing through two the different mediums showing up on otherwise reflective, piano black cupholders.

You mean where they tell the car where to go via gps and not actual autonomy?
Meaning they plan out the route and make sure their AI is able to handle the specific conditions that they will meet. The car is still observing the environment around it and making the decisions (i.e., stop at the light, yield to the pedestrian, read the speed limit sign and follow it). I don't expect someone to get in the car, say "take me to New York" and have it work (at least, not for the demo this year).

• Informative
Reactions: JonathanDandrea
For the record, SAE level 5 "full automation" does not include strategic aspects (determining destinations and waypoints) of the driving task.

"5 Full Automation: the full-time performance by an automated driving system of all aspects of the dynamic driving task under all roadway and environmental conditions that can be managed by a human driver
Dynamic driving task includes the operational (steering, braking, accelerating, monitoring the vehicle and roadway) and tactical (responding to events, determining when to change lanes, turn, use signals, etc.) aspects of the driving task, but not the strategic (determining destinations and waypoints) aspect of the driving task."
https://www.sae.org/misc/pdfs/automated_driving.pdf

I actually like the Mercedes and now Mazda non-integrated screens. However they are much smaller. A non integrated screen this big, looks strange and not cohesive.

Having no instrument cluster is strange as well. You really have to look down and right for speed?

The overall aesthetic is just odd, and i will say it, ugly. One long piece of wood from side to side? ouch. minimalist does not have to equal barren. It is far from slick and coherent.

Here is to hoping it looks better in person.

Electronically adjustable through touch screen (similar to sunroof in the Model S)?

Hmm. The sunroof is one object that has a single axis of movement. There are 4 vents in the dash of my Model S and they have two axes of movement. Are you saying there's going to be a screen that allows individual control of all the vents in 2D space? If so, that's the most complicated implementation of something that is inherently very simple.

p.s if you take out the bmw i3 CD palyer, that imo looks much nicer. it has some 'flow'.
ximm

• Funny
Reactions: cdub
I would suppose an autonomous car will look at the map (i.e. GPS) to know what route it must take. Can't imagine it would disregard the map and just use the position of the car and that of your destination versus the north pole to decide which roads to take, whenever it "sees" a road in the right direction. Could mean very interesting discoveries of roads the existence of which was unknown to you, but probably not very efficient :)

No gauge panel. Not a fan of that at all. Like being able to look straight down for battery charge, speed, trip info, etc. Now going to be distracted looking in multiple places off to the side. Don't see how this is safer for the company that build's the safest cars in the world. No everyone is going to fork out $8,000 for full self driving (that's not available yet) on a $35,000 car.
Not sure what you mean by multiple places off to the side. Multiple pieces of information still have to be in multiple places. The only difference is that it's off to the side instead of down, I've tried imitating it and it doesn't seem any less safe than the normal instrument cluster.

No adjustable AC vents??? Really? Don't know about you, but I like being able to blow air on my face to cool off quickly, then move them away once I do. Not an option.
Just because you don't see manual vents doesn't mean they aren't adjustable. I don't see an on button for the radio, does that mean you can't turn it on?