Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm. The sunroof is one object that has a single axis of movement. There are 4 vents in the dash of my Model S and they have two axes of movement. Are you saying there's going to be a screen that allows individual control of all the vents in 2D space? If so, that's the most complicated implementation of something that is inherently very simple.
I imagine there might only be two vents to control in quad directions (two quad arrow controls would be enough or alternatively sliders up-down, left-right).

How much will it cost to charge the Model 3?

Welcome to the forum, Hanton.

This is a little off topic, but I'm going to field it anyway.

If your Model 3 has, say a 60 kwh battery and if charging at my cost of $.12/kwh that comes out to around $7.20. You could probably expect to go around 240 miles on that.

For comparison, my other vehicle is a reasonably efficient Miata that averages about 28 MPG and gas for me costs about $3/gallon (actually slightly more now, but the math is easier). I would need just over 8.5 gallons to go that same 240 miles at a cost of about $26.
So the Model 3 costs less than 1/3 to run. With my Volt since I top off my charge at work or free chargers in the real world my commute is 1/5 the cost of what it was in the Miata.

Not to mention the environmental benefits, not the monetary savings, are my prime motivating factor, too.

What really appeals to me about the Model 3 is that I can have the same performance and practicality (maybe more) than many other cars I might want to buy but at a far higher level of efficiency and social responsibility.

Hope this helps!

I imagine there might only be two vents to control in quad directions (two quad arrow controls would be enough or alternatively sliders up-down, left-right).

That sounds like it would be a pain to adjust while driving. I can adjust my vents now simply by placing a hand over the vent and my eyes can be on the road. I don't want to have to look at a damn XY plot of my vent position on the center screen. FSD is not a valid excuse to warrant the drivers eyes straying from the road.

Reactions: Model 3
Swiveling scroll wheels on the steering wheel are controllers for the vent!!!

Boom! Mystery solved!

Disclaimer: i just made that up, but until Elon proves otherwise, I'm going with it.
I'm going with "The trackpad at the bottom of the steering wheel is really a pressure sensitive 3D drafting tool for pointing the internal airvents within 0.1 arc seconds of accuracy"...

Seriously though, if the vents are adjustable (I'm agnostic), then a simple gamepad type x-y control would completely suffice.

-Jim

I had always assumed the videogame controls on the steering wheel were so you could play "Blastar" on the center screen! :p

blastar2.png

Welcome to the forum, Hanton.

This is a little off topic, but I'm going to field it anyway.

If your Model 3 has, say a 60 kwh battery and if charging at my cost of $.12/kwh that comes out to around $7.20. You could probably expect to go around 240 miles on that.

For comparison, my other vehicle is a reasonably efficient Miata that averages about 28 MPG and gas for me costs about $3/gallon (actually slightly more now, but the math is easier). I would need just over 8.5 gallons to go that same 240 miles at a cost of about $26.
So the Model 3 costs less than 1/3 to run. With my Volt since I top off my charge at work or free chargers in the real world my commute is 1/5 the cost of what it was in the Miata.

Not to mention the environmental benefits, not the monetary savings, are my prime motivating factor, too.

What really appeals to me about the Model 3 is that I can have the same performance and practicality (maybe more) than many other cars I might want to buy but at a far higher level of efficiency and social responsibility.

Hope this helps!

thanks that helps.

I'm in Toronto and the off peak rate (after 7 pm) is $.077, it was just dropped from $.087 so that works out to a very cheap $4.62. I'll save quite a bit as gas prices here are very high $60 - $80 to fill up your average vehicle depending on tank size - for me I get about 500Km (210 miles) on a full tank (Ford Taurus).

Swiveling scroll wheels on the steering wheel are controllers for the vent!!!

Boom! Mystery solved!

Disclaimer: i just made that up, but until Elon proves otherwise, I'm going with it.
The Model S has the sketch pad but the Model 3 will have an Etch-a-sketch pad. And boy am I going to have fun erasing it!

Sounds highly unlikely. Tesla is going to this length to "simplify" the interior, just to add electromechanical components that are entirely unnecessary? Meh.
I agree it's unlikely, but not impossible. They have electronic vent controls already for diverting air (outside/recirculate, foot vents, face vents, windshield vents), so it's not out of the realm of possibility to make the output vent electronically controlled also.

Thanks to @stopcrazypp for reminding us of the correct definition of full autonomous driving. Despite some people trying to create their own definition of the term.
You mean where they tell the car where to go via gps and not actual autonomy?

For the record, SAE level 5 "full automation" does not include strategic aspects (determining destinations and waypoints) of the driving task.

"5 Full Automation: the full-time performance by an automated driving system of all aspects of the dynamic driving task under all roadway and environmental conditions that can be managed by a human driver
Dynamic driving task includes the operational (steering, braking, accelerating, monitoring the vehicle and roadway) and tactical (responding to events, determining when to change lanes, turn, use signals, etc.) aspects of the driving task, but not the strategic (determining destinations and waypoints) aspect of the driving task."
https://www.sae.org/misc/pdfs/automated_driving.pdf

It's not autonomous if the car is geo fenced to a specific route, etc, as has been speculated during some competitor's autonomous demos.
What you're describing is simply route-planning. That's a mostly solved problem today. Any navigation app on a phone can perform that task. That's not what autonomous driving is.
But are you suggesting they should be allowed to do, or will be doing, anything more than just pressing on the touchscreen which supercharger to arrive at next?
Should they be allowed to? Sure, that's just the route planning aspect. The car still needs to determine where it is in the real world, and how to steer and follow real roads that correspond to the chosen route.

Will they do that? Tesla already has an app where you can provide a final destination, and it will plan out the route to take, including supercharger stops along the way. I'm guessing that they'll actually make use of that app instead of having an engineer setting each supercharger stop along the way.

But Elon said that he thinks they would be able to select any destination in the continental US for the demo.

Judging on the latest version of AP using AP2 hardware, I'd say we're still a fair way from that level of autonomy. Elon could demonstrate it this year but it will be sometime before I will be confident in my own car driving without a person in it. I'm not buying my model 3 on the expectation of a self driving car although I'm confident at some point in it's life it will be able to do it, with much improved software.

thanks that helps.

I'm in Toronto and the off peak rate (after 7 pm) is $.077, it was just dropped from $.087 so that works out to a very cheap $4.62. I'll save quite a bit as gas prices here are very high $60 - $80 to fill up your average vehicle depending on tank size - for me I get about 500Km (210 miles) on a full tank (Ford Taurus).

Hi Hanton, I'm in Cobourg. To figure out the actual per kWh rate here you have to take the $.077 and add the the rest of the delivery/destination etc fees. Take your last bill and add up everything OTHER than time of use kWh. Than divide by how many kWh total on your bill. Add that number to the kWh .077. Out here TAX in it works out to about $.15 per kWh off peak.

Hi Hanton, I'm in Cobourg. To figure out the actual per kWh rate here you have to take the $.077 and add the the rest of the delivery/destination etc fees. Take your last bill and add up everything OTHER than time of use kWh. Than divide by how many kWh total on your bill. Add that number to the kWh .077. Out here TAX in it works out to about $.15 per kWh off peak.

Missed that, thanks.