Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting to see the Model 3 parked next to one of it's competitors, the Mercedes C-class. Model 3 comes across as smaller probably because it's not as tall. Hope the Model 3 get's folding mirror like the C-class. They come in handy for tight parking lots like this one.
The engine compartment on the Mercedes is clearly taller and the windshield is shorter. I'm finding it hard to tell if the roof height is much different due to the perspective. Model 3 should have a very good view out the front, anyhow.

Easy to fix assuming the panels are actually stamped correctly. Since the 3 is using more steel over aluminum, it behaves different in the stamping dies. I assume what we are seeing with the trunk lid is just needing more attention and care to install it better, but I could easily see the shape of that part being tricky to stamp. It's possible those two upper "tabs" spring back some after it is stamped. Designing stamping dies is not always easy.

Assuming the trunk is aluminum like the Model S, Tesla should have a pretty good idea how to handle the tabs. The tabs on the Model S are longer (so I would think trickier) than those on the Model 3.

Why does this bother me so much whenever I see a RC? Is it just my OCD or is anyone else bothered by this fitment issue? Seems most, but not all of the RC's are having fitment issues here.

I know I know..... "You won't care."

-- CintomanView attachment 233109
It also has cables running from the roof to the right side of the trunk, presumably into the trunk, who knows how the cables messed with the trunk closing mechanism, I would worry about it.

Reactions: Topher and melindav
Video:
Model 3 Owners Club on Twitter

Teslarati:
First sighting of Tesla Model 3 release candidate in Los Angeles
silver-tesla-model-3-burbank-service-center.jpg

silver-tesla-model-3-burbank-service-center-5.jpg

silver-tesla-model-3-burbank-service-center-4.jpg

silver-tesla-model-3-burbank-service-center-3.jpg

silver-tesla-model-3-burbank-service-center-2.jpg
No kill switch on the dash. I thought all test cars have the kill switch. Does this mean this is a production release?

• Informative
Reactions: erthquake
If they're really RCs then that's a lot of money being spent to ship cars all over the world that people wouldn't be able to do much more than sit in.
Less than cost to destroy and immeasurable marketing value IMO. This appears to be one sexy car... all who have seen in the flesh say better than pix. I suspect showroom presence would retain most of the 400k reservations and create huge further backlog

Reactions: Krugerrand
235/45/R18 cost something like 150-200€ piece here.
More expensive than more regular 225/55/17 BMW 5-series comes with as standard,
though thankfully not a lot. I was afraid of more than a third of extra cost.
Sidewall is 5% smaller. On the edge... for bumpy roads.

235/45/R18 cost something like 150-200€ piece here.
More expensive than more regular 225/55/17 BMW 5-series comes with as standard,
though thankfully not a lot. I was afraid of more than a third of extra cost.
Sidewall is 5% smaller. On the edge... for bumpy roads.

Here in the US the base BMW 530i has options of 245/45/18 or 245/40/19

Pretty much all 2017 BMW 3-series run 225/45/18, and most 2017 Audi A4s run 245/40/18

Tesla's sidewall should be slightly larger than both, and tire width is in between the two.

At Goodyear's website, the Kelly Edge HP (45k mi) model has the following prices per tire

BMW 225/45/18: $136
Audi 245/40/18: $143
Model 3: 235/45/18: $130

the 225/55/17 is much cheaper at $81 for the same model, but I haven't see any 5-series with 17" tires on them

Last edited:
Assuming the trunk is aluminum like the Model S, Tesla should have a pretty good idea how to handle the tabs. The tabs on the Model S are longer (so I would think trickier) than those on the Model 3.
Not sure if I would assume that though. But you are right, it could possibly aluminum. However, if you look at the S hatch lid, it is a complete frame with opening for the window, since it's a hatchback. So sheet with hole in the middle. The 3 is a trunk lid with "tabs" off the main sheet. Will perform very differently when stamped.