Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• DByKiyOVoAAG2k8.jpg-large.jpg
    DByKiyOVoAAG2k8.jpg-large.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 106
Well, those 18" wheels aren't shipping with nothing over the center area. So either it's a very large center cap, or the aero cover that we have actually seen on some of the RC's. So, which is more likely to be shipped with the car?

We've even seen one of the RC's with the 19" wheels with its center caps on. So I think it makes sense that the cars will ship with the components that we have actually seen on the RC's.

I'd doesn't matter! It's speculative either way. It's not confirmed. That's my point.

Reactions: McFlurri
False. It is NOT a fact that the aero cover will be standard on all cars. That is 100% TBD.

I'm confused as to why you're so passionate about this; it's like HUD-grade debate. We're talking a couple bucks worth of molded plastic parts and there's precedent for this. The Prius has lovely alloys under those hideous wheel covers which are included to hit the EPA mileage targets, so it's not out of left field to think Tesla would do something similar.

In any event, who cares? If mine comes with the covers I'll keep them in the garage unless I'm going on a road trip. I trust that either Tesla or the aftermarket community will solve the exposed hub issue.

I'm confused as to why you're so passionate about this; it's like HUD-grade debate.
The problem is that it is people keep stating their opinion as if they were in fact printed on some secret owners manual that only they have access to. Then people come around here to find out information, read those claims, and go off thinking they are true. That is how the whole HUD thing escalated and the solar roof thing and many others.

Take a vacation day, if you don't have a DSLR with a nice lens then go rent one and camp out with a lawn chair in front of the factory (bring sunblock). When you finally spot a Model 3, then make sure you have that camera ready with burst mode. Extra points if you run up to the side of it and get high quality interior shots. :D

Also get a circular polarizer to remove the window glare from the interior shots :)

So a screw on aero cover or lug cover it is. The threads look like they could already be there. View attachment 232026
I'm thinking that the covers will just press-fit into the hub hole. The 5 "spoke" holes in the cover look fairly deep, so I don't think the cover could spin-on without hitting the alloy wheel spokes. Plus, there's a good likelihood that if they were spun-on, they could easily spin-off unintentionally.