Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reducing paint colors allows larger batch sizes without having change the paint color being sprayed.
I toured a BMW factory about 15 years ago that did not need to "batch" their paint colors. They could spray each car coming down the line a different color in no particular order (from their palette of colors available). I would imagine that is the industry norm by now. Reducing colors only reduces the amount of paint to stock, and does nothing to speed up production.

• Informative
Reactions: plankeye
I toured a BMW factory about 15 years ago that did not need to "batch" their paint colors. They could spray each car coming down the line a different color in no particular order (from their palette of colors available). I would imagine that is the industry norm by now. Reducing colors only reduces the amount of paint to stock, and does nothing to speed up production.
That'd be awesome. I'm not sure how Tesla's paint shop is setup.

Spotted today at the Ann Arbor, MI supercharger:

(Sorry for the poor image quality -- I had to drop it down quite a bit in order to upload the images.)
IMG_2727.jpg
IMG_2729.jpg
IMG_2726.jpg
IMG_2728.jpg

exactly - they can't be just painting all the black cars, then storing the painted bodies somewhere, then painting all the silver etc - that would be insane.
The current production line runs with cars of all colors all of the time.
So my question still stands - why use different colors between S/X/3 or exclude an S/X color from 3 when there is no cost penalty or reduction.
It also suggests that, just because a color hasn't been seen doesn't mean that its not going to be available.

or (and I like this one best)
They cut the colors down because they're expecting lots of orders for Sig Red and need the space to store all the paint :)

Spotted today at the Ann Arbor, MI supercharger:

(Sorry for the poor image quality -- I had to drop it down quite a bit in order to upload the images.)
View attachment 232176 View attachment 232177 View attachment 232178 View attachment 232179
oh my - that looks awesome. Its funny how dark it looks from the back.
That front shot gives you a really good idea of how much road you'll be able to see through the steering wheel.
There's your spaceship, right there.

So frustrating! A Model 3 charging without the screen covered and we get no interior pic! Ughhh

In fairness, the driver is in the car. Probably not comfortable to approach the car that close. Just need a good SLR, telephoto lens and polarizer, and you'd be able to see that screen. Though I suspect Tesla was smart enough to not display the battery capacity and other salient info on their dev screens.

In fairness, the driver is in the car. Probably not comfortable to approach the car that close. Just need a good SLR, telephoto lens and polarizer, and you'd be able to see that screen. Though I suspect Tesla was smart enough to not display the battery capacity and other salient info on their dev screens.
That was why I didn't get any closer, and I only had my cell phone readily available. On the driver's side, he hung his jacket in the window to make it hard to get a decent photo. On the other hand, perhaps that means there are coat hooks?

From what I could see, it looked like the screen was similar to what others have seen. (Not that I could see all that much!)

• Funny
Reactions: Foxhound199
That was why I didn't get any closer, and I only had my cell phone readily available. On the driver's side, he hung his jacket in the window to make it hard to get a decent photo. On the other hand, perhaps that means there are coat hooks?

From what I could see, it looked like the screen was similar to what others have seen. (Not that I could see all that much!)
Now that I think about it, it might have been hung off the shoulder belt connection.