Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 232395 Not sure if this was mentioned already but this is my guess on what the card in the cup holder is. RC VIN card
Interesting, guess I never zoomed in on that card on the dash before. Assumed it was an employee badge. But it says "vehicle pass" on it and is VIN00048 (or maybe 46).

I'm still skeptical the card would be a key. But I've been wrong on most things so far. :p

I don't think that's right. Admittedly, I'm making a guesstimate just like you, but I don't think you can linear-ize that battery graphic. Although I've seen electrek do the same thing, they are always in Tesla cheerleader mode so I try to account for the extra does of optimism they have! :)

Here's how I'd calculate it: if the car has 95 miles of current charge and the rate of charge is 169 miles per hour and there is 50 minutes left to a "full charge" (to the 90% mark), then the car will receive 152 miles to reach 90%. That disregards the graphic and just takes the estimate the Tesla battery management system is using. I realize that isn't perfect either, but I think it's a better way to look at it.

So that means the 90% mark is roughly 247 miles. And by extension, the 100% mark is roughly 270 miles (an additional 10%).

I think a range that high has to be the larger battery (else it will cannibalize Model S sales too much), so I'm guessing the larger batter 100% range is 270 miles and the standard battery 100% range is 230-240 miles (roughly equivalent to a Chevy Bolt).

The world coming around to logic.

Attachments

• IMG_1638.PNG
    IMG_1638.PNG
    164.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Informative
Reactions: cdub
The world coming around to logic.

There are two problems with this line of thinking. One, we know how S and X battery displays work. They are linear. Why isn't the 3? Two, trying to calculate the range from the charging speed information is like trying to calculate the height of a fence using the length of its shadow and the time of day- just measure the fence directly!

There are two problems with this line of thinking. One, we know how S and X battery displays work. They are linear. Why isn't the 3? Two, trying to calculate the range from the charging speed information is like trying to calculate the height of a fence using the length of its shadow and the time of day- just measure the fence directly!
... more like calculating the time of day, given you don't know the height of the fence, the day of the year, and the earth has a bad habit of varying the speed at which it spins.

Wouldn't very simple sanity check be to try to do the same charge rate concentration on an S (maybe even in the same conditions)?

• Informative
Reactions: cdub
About the card vs. fob debate. There was an effort by some enterprising Model S owners in 2014 or 2015 to take the necessary parts of a fob and transfer them to a card, similar to something Lexus offered at the time. So it's not like this is a new thing. A card would allow one to open the doors and trunk (button under the lip, like every other car) as well as start the car via proximity sensor. So the only thing missing is the frunk access. And there is no reason the car couldn't come with both a fob and a card. Probably cheaper than supplying 2 fobs, which they do now.

The card is for the people you lend your car to via the Tesla self-driving uber taxi program thing.

This way someone will be able to walk up to your car at night and take it for a midnight drive without disturbing you.

These compulsory cards will be given out for free at your local 7/11, subway stations and bus stops.

It will be a universal card to enable access to every Tesla car.

• Funny
Reactions: arjay
The card is for the people you lend your car to via the Tesla self-driving uber taxi program thing.

This way someone will be able to walk up to your car at night and take it for a midnight drive without disturbing you.

These compulsory cards will be given out for free at your local 7/11, subway stations and bus stops.

It will be a universal card to enable access to every Tesla car.
...someone here is going to completely miss the sarcasm and start complaining...standby...

Reactions: arjay